Newest Member
    12bet1 net
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true, but the ground could be quite saturated...and trees will come down

Good point. Most blowdown I ever saw from a single event was from the 1950 Apps gale, in the woods around my (then) NNJ home. That came in late November, and even in NJ the trees were leafless. That one also buried some high elevation locations with feet of snow. I'm far enough inland now that I doubt the wind will be as big a player as the rain, though my old and somewhat defective fir may be at risk.

The further south and west that this storm trends the better IMO. I am by no means wishing bad weather and misfortune to anyone else if it avoids a direct hit on New England, but I would be happy if it where so. An out to sea track would be ideal, but that looks unlikely at this point in time.

Ditto.

Great job tonight on the radio CoastalWx.

No joke because it will take all weekend.

When are they starting the evac of NYC?

This storm could possibly change the political landscape of this country for years to come.

Interesting question. I sense a public weariness / skepticism of these doomsday scenarios. Too many hyperbolic anomalous events in the past 2 years, some of which have been over-hyped in the wrong places (Manhattan evacuations for Irene being a relevant example).

The public is weary, and the public officials are gunshy.

Also fascinated by the impact on the election. Unprecedented and could be huge if there are week-long power outages in the northeast megalopolis.

Great job tonight on the radio CoastalWx.

Interesting question. I sense a public weariness / skepticism of these doomsday scenarios. Too many hyperbolic anomalous events in the past 2 years, some of which have been over-hyped in the wrong places (Manhattan evacuations for Irene being a relevant example).

The public is weary, and the public officials are gunshy.

Also fascinated by the impact on the election. Unprecedented and could be huge if there are week-long power outages in the northeast megalopolis.

My boss was in the evacuation zone in Brooklyn last year. I told him today about it and he seemed unconvinced.

My boss was in the evacuation zone in Brooklyn last year. I told him today about it and he seemed unconvinced.

As expected. It takes a couple - few days to get a large city prepared/evacuated as necessary. That far out, it's not possible to pinpoint the areas that will get the most hazardous conditions.

I got nailed twice last year by Irene and by the October snow. My generator has been tested, I have gas to run it for a few days, and a little extra food shopping will be done tomorrow. It may be unnecessary in the end, butit sucks to be without power for days and not have a few things to make it bearable.

The discussions are great. The community that frequents this forum for the most part know the score and have learned 10 fold over the years.

Unprecented, historic, never witnessed. If you take a medium of every parameter. Middle track, middle intensity. Slam that into the most populated area on the eastcoast.

That is a formula for disaster. Just saying. There is always a curve thrown into the unknown, something unforseen that always seems to unfold.

Sorry if this has already been answered... why did we lose the list of online users reading each thread at the bottom?

Storm mode to save the server.

To this I feel like this also segregates the forum. I see the usefullness and logic but if that the case allow only "redtags" post in that appointed thread. One for graphics, one scientific and an idiot thread. Then move comments discussion to Mods choice.

As for the track and intensity WTFK's Even the best-of-the-best not dare go out and commit with such dynamics congealing.

Archived