Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
East Coast Threat/Sandy - Banter Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys...enough of the bickering. Teck it to the banter thread if you want to do that.

Although landfall in NJ is most likely, NYC/LI isn't totally out of the woods yet. We're still 48+ hours out. This is the New England subforum too so expect a little bit of bias from some posters wrt their backyards.

No one said they weren't... Blizz has constantly said landfall was IN NYC, which is totally false. Landfall is in C NJ for the majority of the models

Just took a drive through Groton Long Point. For those unfamiliar, this is obviously right on the shore, about 11 miles across from LI. Million dollar homes right on the water. One house is boarding up so far.

You have any photos? I have friends that are considering returning home there tomorrow.

I am so pumped for this...can't wait to tell my grand kids in 25 yrs

4G internet and charge your phone in the car if you absolutely have to. C'mon guys the world isn't ending here. Katrina part 2 isn't coming.

Are you crazy?

The unfortunate part is this nonchalant thinking, politicians with misinformation put John Q. Public in a very dangerous place. Unprepared, ill equipped. Unfolding is a disaster in the making. You must not be thinking of the possible millions of people in black-out for days. A three day pounding of tropical gusts. Thats a guarentee the crews won't get out till after next weekend. A week with no hot water, no heat, no water and food. The number of people effected will be more than Katrina and the cost might rival if you consider lost work wages. NYC is in deep do-do. They still have to time recant the irresponsible decision at present and they will IMO.

Enter the donut, very very scary!

Was at my son's soccer game today...an older lady was talking to her husband asking if their friends on the shoreline could get flooded out of their house and how that would be terrible. His response was "They say its gonna hit Atlantic City now...it won't be a big deal here." axesmiley.png

The hardware store was busy on the other hand...but not completely crazy. Had plenty of flashlights & batteries on hand. I paid an extra 10 cents a gallon for gas to avoid the line at S&S. A friend of mine says there's clearly been a run on bathtub plugs, propane, and hot dog buns.

Just a strange vibe tonight all around. Quickly went through the news channels and no coverage, the mayors speech in NYC etc etc. Very quiet in here tonight as well, maybe people are just burned out from tracking it? I am excited and worried at the same time, surge being my only concern we are well prepared. Looking forward to a later afternoon beach walk enjoying a couple of my fetishes wave action and wind.

Just a strange vibe tonight all around. Quickly went through the news channels and no coverage, the mayors speech in NYC etc etc. Very quiet in here tonight as well, maybe people are just burned out from tracking it? I am excited and worried at the same time, surge being my only concern we are well prepared. Looking forward to a later afternoon beach walk enjoying a couple of my fetishes wave action and wind.

Joe, what are you and your family doing? Hunkering down or evacuating?

It is a weird vibe. Like I said earlier, it felt like no one cared or had any clue a huge storm was on its way. Maybe tomorrow is the day that everyone goes nuts. Obviously the coastal flooding is the major impact, but that really only affects a small percentage of people.

should have posted this here but posted in the main sandy thread but wtf are these people thinking!!!

An interesting Press release about a Carnival Cruise that was supposed to depart NYC on Monday, which was posted on another weather board:

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

OCTOBER 29, 2012

October 27, 2012

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Monday and are anxiously awaiting news regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.

We've been closely monitoring the storm and keeping in contact with port officials in New York. They have informed us that the port is expected to be closed on Monday. In an effort to continue with your cruise and keep safely away from the storm, we will now depart on Sunday, October 28.

Check-in for your cruise will take place from 2:00PM to 5:00PM, and sailing is set for 6:00 PM from Pier 90.

In addition, our supplies (food, beverages, etc…) were planned to be delivered on Monday, per our original schedule. Unfortunately, we were unable to make arrangements to bring them in early on Sunday. This means, in order for us to get the provisions needed by the first port, we will need to modify our itinerary. No worries, we definitely have enough supplies to last us till then.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN New York, NY 6:00 PM

MON Fun Day @ Sea

TUE Fun Day @ Sea

WED Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

FRI Fun Day @ Sea

SAT Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

I don't think I'd want to be on that cruise!

Joe, what are you and your family doing? Hunkering down or evacuating?

Hey Bobby.......Going to make a last minute decision, we are so close to everything its hard to leave knowing that we can walk two blocks and get basically any supple we may need. I have plenty of wood and water, candles and anything you might need during the next ten days. Having said that, water is the killer, and I will be watching the surge very carefully and leave if we had to with plenty of time to spare. We will get water here, how much just not sure and is so dependent on angle and exact track.

Coastal flooding is already taking place in western long island sound.

should have posted this here but posted in the main sandy thread but wtf are these people thinking!!!

An interesting Press release about a Carnival Cruise that was supposed to depart NYC on Monday, which was posted on another weather board:

CARNIVAL MIRACLE

OCTOBER 29, 2012

October 27, 2012

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Monday and are anxiously awaiting news regarding the impact of Hurricane Sandy.

We've been closely monitoring the storm and keeping in contact with port officials in New York. They have informed us that the port is expected to be closed on Monday. In an effort to continue with your cruise and keep safely away from the storm, we will now depart on Sunday, October 28.

Check-in for your cruise will take place from 2:00PM to 5:00PM, and sailing is set for 6:00 PM from Pier 90.

In addition, our supplies (food, beverages, etc…) were planned to be delivered on Monday, per our original schedule. Unfortunately, we were unable to make arrangements to bring them in early on Sunday. This means, in order for us to get the provisions needed by the first port, we will need to modify our itinerary. No worries, we definitely have enough supplies to last us till then.

Below is the revised itinerary:

DAY PORT ARRIVE DEPART

SUN New York, NY 6:00 PM

MON Fun Day @ Sea

TUE Fun Day @ Sea

WED Port Canaveral, FL 7:00 AM 6:00 PM

THU Nassau, The Bahamas 11:00 AM 8:00 PM

FRI Fun Day @ Sea

SAT Grand Turk 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

SUN Fun Day @ Sea

Mon Fun Day @ Sea

Tue New York, NY 8:00 AM

I don't think I'd want to be on that cruise!

my wife has a colleague who is supposed to be on that cruise. lol

not sure they get before tuesday with this system.

Hey Bobby.......Going to make a last minute decision, we are so close to everything its hard to leave knowing that we can walk two blocks and get basically any supple we may need. I have plenty of wood and water, candles and anything you might need during the next ten days. Having said that, water is the killer, and I will be watching the surge very carefully and leave if we had to with plenty of time to spare. We will get water here, how much just not sure and is so dependent on angle and exact track.

Coastal flooding is already taking place in western long island sound.

Good luck LL. I think I will do OK but will be surrounded by water come Tuesday. Where is the coastal flooding currently taking place? I am pretty far SW in LI sound and haven't heard of anything yet.

Archived