Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy Obs and Banter thread - fall 2012

mappy

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember that. I was actually watching it live and there were some drunk frat boy types and a football comes through and then them and then a guy side jumping across the camera with full frontal. Alcohol is a hell of a drug. Speaking of which, is it 5 yet?

LOL- I'm holding off for as long as possible. Just want to stay sharp for when things get hairy. I'm edgy though. I've gone through the house and the lists like 50 times. Generator started on first pull. Pretty stoked about that. I maintain that engine better than a firetruck. There is no substitute for having juice during long duration outages. I've already run my cord setup to my fridge, icebox, and most importantly...my plasma and home theater.

I have two big, tall, bushy crape myrtles and a 30' holly tree in my front yard. I wouldn't be surprised if I lose something from at least of them. They're already struggling, especially the crape myrtles, as they still have all their leaves on them.

i have 2 75' pines, the one our back yard has my wife and daughter on high alert. If it makes it through this, i'm pretty confident a suck it up and spend the 1000 bucks to have it cut down.

I have two big, tall, bushy crape myrtles and a 30' holly tree in my front yard. I wouldn't be surprised if I lose something from at least of them. They're already struggling, especially the crape myrtles, as they still have all their leaves on them.

I trimmed back one of my crape myrtles because it was so top heavy it always bent way over. Smart move for me right now. I lost a bunch of it 2 winters ago when part of it broke.

LOL- I'm holding off for as long as possible. Just want to stay sharp for when things get hairy. I'm edgy though. I've gone through the house and the lists like 50 times. Generator started on first pull. Pretty stoked about that. I maintain that engine better than a firetruck. There is no substitute for having juice during long duration outages. I've already run my cord setup to my fridge, icebox, and most importantly...my plasma and home theater.

Yeah, I've spent my waning hours of 21st century living researching costs for those whole house back up generators. Not unreasonable, given the number of problems we've had in this neighborhood.

i have 2 75' pines, the one our back yard has my wife and daughter on high alert. If it makes it through this, i'm pretty confident a suck it up and spend the 1000 bucks to have it cut down.

I feel like pines can withstand a decent amount of punishment, but I'd still be on the lookout if I were in your situation.

I trimmed back one of my crape myrtles because it was so top heavy it always bent way over. Smart move for me right now. I lost a bunch of it 2 winters ago when part of it broke.

Yeah...these things are huge, especially the one on the northwest side of the lawn. It's also top heavy and already leans towards the southeast. I'm surprised I didn't have too much damage in 09-10 or from the Jan '11 storm, although I did have to whack the holly in the middle of the night to shake snow loose during the Dec 19 storm. If I hadn't, it would nearly have snapped in half.

I'm becoming more and more worried about my back yard. The initial tree line buffer (80-100ft oaks) have only 25-50% leaves, but my big 140' oak (tree guy estimate) has at least 75% still.

I can't remember because I laughed any sense of mind out on the floor. Has to be one of the funniest things I've seen on live tv ever.

Only click play if your sense of humor is wide open or you like sausage.

Genuinely beautiful that a guy standing in the middle of a hurricane to provide titillating entertainment decries the foolishness of people who are outside in the middle of a hurricane unnecessarily.

I feel like pines can withstand a decent amount of punishment, but I'd still be on the lookout if I were in your situation.

Yeah...these things are huge, especially the one on the northwest side of the lawn. It's also top heavy and already leans towards the southeast. I'm surprised I didn't have too much damage in 09-10 or from the Jan '11 storm, although I did have to whack the holly in the middle of the night to shake snow loose during the Dec 19 storm. If I hadn't, it would nearly have snapped in half.

i often say, "if those trees could only talk" imagine how many storms they have seen over the years. Those trees have been that big since i was young.

my work is now shutting down at noon. I have been here 26 years and we never close!

Ugh, the softest wood out there in Pine trees and tall suckers, be careful with those bro.

BWI has no flights in or out for the rest of today now. Amtrak is suspended all Northeast Routes. CT Gov has shut down all state roads, Garden state parkway is close from MM38 southward. Gov of NY is shutting down the Brooklyn Battery tunnel and Holland tunnel at 2pm all major cities have shut down mass transit, earthquake 10KM south of Marion, NC this morning, 3-4 feet of snow in the WV Allegheny Mtns, Over a foot of rain along the Delmarva and other shore line locations. Holy Crap this is real live history we are watching. Amazing at least to me

Archived