joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Wonderdog

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the air flow behind the midwest storm wont have any downstream influence on placement of the tropical low?

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask but the placement and strength of the various upper level systems that will be approaching the east coast as the tropical system moves nwd will have an effect on the storm. It's way to early to know exactly what effect. I think the most likely solution is somewhere between the 12Z european model and the more eastward solutions but that is just a wag and any of the solutions are still on the table. The nogaps and canadian are probably the least likely but again they are not impossible solutions. we're still probably a week or more away from any east coast impact so the handling of all the players might be different than shown on the progs.

No one does but I don't see the ggem being a likely solution and wouldn't be surprised if the euro trended towards its ensemble mean which is well east of cape cod. That said, I wouldn't completely throw out the euro and it would give us wind and maybe some light rain. The big problem with making any definitive statement is the shortwave that is supposed to capture the storm is still way out. I look at this as being similar to a snowstorm that needs phasing to succeed. Easier for New England but even they can get shafted.

Granted, I think it's unlikely we'll get a disastrous storm around here. I guess in some ways it's all or nothing.. so you can't completely rule it out. But, I think overall, almost every big storm from this range would be a very low probability event, or "unlikely." Maybe it's because it's been boring, and it mixes tropics with winter, but we've got a big range in outcomes currently presented. Dunno why people even have to have specifics on local impact anywhere. Story seems there's a good chance a large storm will be brewing offshore.. if it were to impact someone it could be high impact. Not much else is (was) certain today.

As far as weather goes, MD is about as boring as it gets.

If only we could live in Florida where we can agonize over whether the high temp will be 91 or 92 and whether the popcorn convection will actually occur IMBY for 6 months out of the year. Now that's excitement!

Yeah, this 4 seasons stuff is SO boring.

The european ens has come quite a bit west and now gives much more support to the ecmwf making this a really interesting forecast. The blocking the ens mean shows and the negative tilt trough increase the odds of the storm getting captured by the upper trough so I think Jason's (CWG) odds of over a 50% chance of someone along the east coast being impacted by the storm is now a pretty good call. We're still so far from the event lots can change but the strong blocking makes amplification of the approaching trough more likely than not which may make the overall pattern a little more predictable than normal. Still, the timing of the amplification and the how fast and where the storm initially tracks will help decide where the system actually goes.

The european ens has come quite a bit west and now gives much more support to the ecmwf making this a really interesting forecast. The blocking the ens mean shows and the negative tilt trough increase the odds of the storm getting captured by the upper trough so I think Jason's (CWG) odds of over a 50% chance of someone along the east coast being impacted by the storm is now a pretty good call. We're still so far from the event lots can change but the strong blocking makes amplification of the approaching trough more likely than not which may make the overall pattern a little more predictable than normal. Still, the timing of the amplification and the how fast and where the storm initially tracks will help decide where the system actually goes.

Thanks for your thoughts on the euro, Wes!

Adam and I were emailing about it this morning - until the Pac s/w gets sampled, its really a big "guess" as to whether Sandy will go OTS or not. Hopefully by Thursday/Friday the models will be in better agreement.

I wish this whole discussion would be consolidated in one main thread, it would be a lot easier to follow. It seems the New England subforum one is drawing the most attention.

ya it is. Its where the most posters are. I agree though wish it could all be one main thread so everyone from every region could contribute their thoughts with one archive to look through.

Archived