• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid to late October disco/banter thread.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some folks are saying this is the best year for leaf color in a while. While I've seen some decent folliage not including the endless green In Nyack,what I've seen up in portions.of northern ct. Has been fairly. Meh. Plus the colors seem late.

With that being said powderfreak pulls in with some amazing photos as always.

Have to agree, everything seemed out of sync atleast around here and colors were not super vibrant

Tomorrow should be another day where LL and a good chunk of CT may be mild by late day, but areas further north are sort of wedged in by ESE-SE flow. Probably an evening high here.

Local mets calling for 2-3 inches of rain here especially in the am...wow. I'm guessing we clear out or at least the rain moves out to get the high late in the day?

Local mets calling for 2-3 inches of rain here especially in the am...wow. I'm guessing we clear out or at least the rain moves out to get the high late in the day?

Well someone will get a lot of rain. It may be west or north of you though, tough to tell where the convergence and plume sets up exactly. I could see a few breaks late day where you are, but there will also be more rain developing at the same time. Plus, low clouds possible.

Have to agree, everything seemed out of sync atleast around here and colors were not super vibrant

It's funny you say that because I think the colors here in the valley are the best they've been in years. We're at peak right now. Up in the hills... I didn't think they were as vibrant a week ago. A bit out of sync as you mentioned.

Either way... earlier than last year!

It's funny you say that because I think the colors here in the valley are the best they've been in years. We're at peak right now. Up in the hills... I didn't think they were as vibrant a week ago. A bit out of sync as you mentioned.

Either way... earlier than last year!

It definitely depends where you are. In my neighborhood, the colors are non-existent. Down the street, houses are yellow and red from the reflection off the leaves. NNE definitely have the deciduous trees that are prone to vibrant colors.

The beginning of Novie looks good and the pattern of the GOA low trying to at least form a +PNA is good heading later into the first week and possibly second week. I'm still leery of a GOA low, so I hope it retros more to the SW like it's hinted at. That is a potential wildcard going forward.

Hey long time no post/talk. I'm in the process of moving and have been pretty busy at work but I just wanted to say I agree that November is still looking good for the first half.

There is a still a heightened risk for an early-season wintry event.

It definitely depends where you are. In my neighborhood, the colors are non-existent. Down the street, houses are yellow and red from the reflection off the leaves. NNE definitely have the deciduous trees that are prone to vibrant colors.

I'm seeing that too and I also think timing is important too. Two weeks ago our maples were the most vibrant that I have seen in years with bright reds and oranges but now there are fewer of them and there are more browns, yellows and light reds from other species than a couple of weeks ago. There are still some bright patches though.

I'm hoping that the bright colors in the maples translates to good sugar content next spring but I don't think there is a corelaton.

I'm seeing that too and I also think timing is important too. Two weeks ago our maples were the most vibrant that I have seen in years with bright reds and oranges but now there are fewer of them and there are more browns, yellows and light reds from other species than a couple of weeks ago. There are still some bright patches though.

I'm hoping that the bright colors in the maples translates to good sugar content next spring but I don't think there is a corelaton.

My area sucks for leaves and radiating...lol. Looking forward to being in the burbs, even if it means an increase in yardwork.

The sugar maples are the trees that tend to get the most fiery reds and oranges if conditions are right. If you don't happen to have a lot of sugar maples in the immediate area, you might not notice a lot of extreme color. Sugar maples like areas that have colder winters which is why they are most common in New England, NY State and the Great Lakes. Though they do extend SW to the TN valley.

Hey long time no post/talk. I'm in the process of moving and have been pretty busy at work but I just wanted to say I agree that November is still looking good for the first half.

There is a still a heightened risk for an early-season wintry event.

Good luck with the move. Where abouts?

Hopefully the low will find a home SW in the Aleutians.

Well, my guess is that most of us finish October on the + side, unless somehow late next week turns chilly....but it may wait until the weekend. However, this is certainly not a torch pattern that has brought very strong + departures in the past. So that's good news I suppose. The -NAO since the summer has been interesting. I hope it doesn't flip this winter, but it's held its own. The recent 10 and 14 day forecasts have been too high (or not enough of a -NAO) per CPC.

post-33-0-37964000-1350570558_thumb.gif

Not sure if your vision is blurred, but it has been one of the best foliage seasons in yrs. We peaked last weekend and are now well past peak..There's no green left..All oaks have turned and are coming off trees this week

Not blurred. Maybe it's just where I am in Brooklyn, but there seemed to be many trees that lost leaves early on, leaving bare branches prior to the peak. Seemed to be more bare than normal during peak at least around me.

...Must be a micro climate thing.

:whistle:

Not blurred. Maybe it's just where I am in Brooklyn, but there seemed to be many trees that lost leaves early on, leaving bare branches prior to the peak. Seemed to be more bare than normal during peak at least around me.

...Must be a micro climate thing.

:whistle:

Where Brooklyn at.

The sugar maples are the trees that tend to get the most fiery reds and oranges if conditions are right. If you don't happen to have a lot of sugar maples in the immediate area, you might not notice a lot of extreme color. Sugar maples like areas that have colder winters which is why they are most common in New England, NY State and the Great Lakes. Though they do extend SW to the TN valley.

A subject close to my heart. We tend to have two varieties of maples around here - mostly rock or red maples and sugar maples. I try to favor the sugar maples as best I can because they tend to have slightly higher sugar content in their sap than the softer maples but I'll take what I can get.

The mix of maple varieties and soil here in NE CT connecticut makes for some of the best tasting maple syrup out there. Maple syrup is like wine and taste different in different regions. That's one reason why Vermont is so well known for it's syrup and states like New York or Maine which produce almost as much, aren't. There's other reasons, but flavor is one of them.

We also have Norway maples but they really don't count. Outside of urban areas they are an invasive species because they bloom earlier than native maples and stay green longer which prevents native maples from getting established but those atributes are great in urban/neighborhood environments.

A subject close to my heart. We tend to have two varieties of maples around here - mostly rock or red maples and sugar maples. I try to favor the sugar maples as best I can because they tend to have slightly higher sugar content in their sap than the softer maples but I'll take what I can get.

The mix of maple varieties and soil here in NE CT connecticut makes for some of the best tasting maple syrup out there. Maple syrup is like wine and taste different in different regions. That's one reason why Vermont is so well known for it's syrup and states like New York or Maine which produce almost as much, aren't. There's other reasons, but flavor is one of them.

We also have Norway maples but they really don't count. Outside of urban areas they are an invasive species because they bloom earlier than native maples and stay green longer which prevents native maples from getting established but those atributes are great in urban/neighborhood environments.

I know that you have a maple operation and are very knowledgeable about the subject but, as a proud Vermonter, I must defend her honor! :weight_lift: NY and ME combined produce less than VT does. Here is a link to the statistical report released this past July

In 2011, the most recent year in the chart, ME produced 360,000 gallons of syrup and NY produced 564,000 gallons. Vermont produced 1,140,000 gallons. Of course Quebec crushes us, producing 9,245,000 gallons in 2011.

snapback.pngORH_wxman, on 18 October 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

Around my area the red maples are brightest, with shades from glowing crimson almost to burgundy. Sugar maples come later and can have yellow-orange-red on a single tree, but their reds aren't as electric as the best RM. Another tree of note is bigtooth aspen. Its far more abundant cousin, quaking aspen, is a reliable yellow, but BTA can have some of the brightest orange of any species, usually with yellow and mixed Y-O on the same tree.

Syrup from the Maine foothills can hild its own with anybody for flavor, but most sugaries in that region are fairly small so the product doesn't move far or gain notariety. The other big reason for Maine syrup not being too well known is that about 3/4 comes from sugaries near the PQ border and is mainly sold as Quebec product; in fact, a lot of those border tappings get trucked west and boiled in Canada.

Not sure which tree is meant, above, by "rock maple." In most of Maine that's just another name for sugar maple. (Some sawmills buy "rock maple" and "soft maple", thus reversing/confusing the initials for their botanical names.) There's also black maple, held by some taxonomists as a separate species, but more commonly as a variety of sugar. Black maple leaves are less complex than most sugar maple leaves, and more like the Canadian flag.

A hearty agreement concerning Norway maple, one of my un-favorite trees (and the Crimson King uglifest is really at the bottom.) The sap, at least during the growing season, is milky rather than clear like red and sugar maples. I'd find that anything but encouraging for trying to boil it down to syrup.

I know that you have a maple operation and are very knowledgeable about the subject but, as a proud Vermonter, I must defend her honor! :weight_lift: NY and ME combined produce less than VT does. Here is a link to the statistical report released this past July

www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/New.../0605mpl.pdf

In 2011, the most recent year in the chart, ME produced 360,000 gallons of syrup and NY produced 564,000 gallons. Vermont produced 1,140,000 gallons. Of course Quebec crushes us, producing 9,245,000 gallons in 2011.

Not a problem. I mis-spoke and as you indicated combined they produce just under what VT alone does. I wish every state did as well because maple sugar is such a healthy product compared to cane sugar and high fuctose corn syrup. VT also gets a premium for their syrup at both the wholesale and retail level due to it's "brand". Our friends in the midwest get less for their syrup just because it is Ohio or Indiana maple syrup for example. It's a little better in Wisconsin or Michigan.

Quebec is like the OPEC of maple syrup...they control the price and supply but I have customers that pay a premium to get U.S. syrup so good for them.

BTW, If anyone is interested, here's a link that includes the 2012 numbers (and some other New England farm stats). I produce about 5% of CT's :)

http://www.nass.usda...iew/agjul12.pdf

Growing season alive and well, I was shocked to come home and see another day lily in bloom, but very happy and a few more to go to!

Next ten days look awesome, some rain and lots of sun with well above normal temperatures, looks like once again I will be cutting lawns well into November!

Archived