• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Mid to late October disco/banter thread.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is one thing last year didn't have alot of, CUTTERS, (at least i think NNE ski resorts enjoyed that aspect)

Yeah but on the flip side it was a pretty dry winter... if we had last winter plus a weekly cutter to Toronto that would've really taken the winter to a new level.

It could be something like I mentioned a few days ago. You get a cutter, then the cold moves further east. Another low develops and perhaps is colder...followed by deeper push of cold east. Maybe it repeats, or perhaps we stay on the battle zone. You had the idea in your post. It's also possible that if we see any tropical cyclone move east, it locks in the cold for several days.

I really don't mind that sort of pattern in the fall. It seems to be a more "normal" progression of fall weather to have the core of cold develop in central Canada and into the Midwest...I'd love to see a few strong low pressure systems develop out of that, too. It seems like the good winters usually start off with a few big midwest or Great Lakes snowstorms while the cold gets established, and then it slowly gets tugged east after each passing low (like you said). If we start to see a pattern like that develop, I'll be excited because you know sooner or later that baroclinic zone will find its way to the east coast. I just want to see a steady stream of energy and good sized storms over the next 6 weeks, even if we are on the rain side. Seeing a stormy pattern develop could set the stage for an exciting winter.

I'll take the ensembles la la la locking in cold..over the weeklies

You're missing the point. The ensembles only go through 11/2. I'm just speculating what the weeklies might be trying to go for. In a gradient pattern...even at the end of the ensembles, you still can have storms move near Andy Tandy.

Lol..it looks nothing like that

Scooter just said a very similar thing that I did.

I have a hard time believing we don't see a couple strong cutters if the core of the cold is moving down the east slopes of the Rockies. That doesn't scream early season snow in New England...to me is says we may have to put up with a little bit of rain followed by cold/dry... cold down east slope of Rockies usually leads to cyclogenesis in the Mississippi River Valley area riding towards the Lakes.

But maybe you see something different, as is usually the case ;)

Weeklies looked seasonable for the first half of November. Looked like an overall Aleutian height anomaly with coldest air sloshing down from east slopes of Canadian Rockies into nrn Plains.

Sure beats last year at this time when there was nothing but torch into November in the weeklies..i think from late October thru March all I heard was torch,torch,torch..sorry to say they were very accurate

That little bit south is often the line in NJ as you know between big snows and not much. Plus you're in Philly fan territory now..ouch.

In 2009-10 I was in NW NJ and watched the PHL area get pounded with storm after storm. I remember when the sun broke out up there during the big Dec 09 storm, lol.

In 2009-10 I was in NW NJ and watched the PHL area get pounded with storm after storm. I remember when the sun broke out up there during the big Dec 09 storm, lol.

Yeah 2009-10 was a helluva winter in the PHL area. 2-3ft of snowpack in mid February, two storms back to back 20"+. I lucked out being in the PHL area for the Feb 2010 events and CNJ for the Dec 09 event, so I managed to experience 3 HECS that winter. Were you in CNJ for the Feb 2010 storms?

If we want PHL to do well this year someone needs to start dumping molten rock in the central pacific. Mod Ninos tend to be better for the mid atlantic.

Yeah 2009-10 was a helluva winter in the PHL area. 2-3ft of snowpack in mid February, two storms back to back 20"+. I lucked out being in the PHL area for the Feb 2010 events and CNJ for the Dec 09 event, so I managed to experience 3 HECS that winter. Were you in CNJ for the Feb 2010 storms?

If we want PHL to do well this year someone needs to start dumping molten rock in the central pacific. Mod Ninos tend to be better for the mid atlantic.

I was in NW NJ the entire winter and missed all the HECS. However, I was also in the New Brunswick area and saw decent snow out of the FEB storm. I will be in the Mercer-Burlington area throughout the winter, so it is no big deal.

This system looks like a west-based El Niño to me and if that combines with the Siberian Snow Cover and QBO, it could make for a long winter. It will be no 09-10 though.

Avatar change is meh, Change your screen name if you really have some kahunas

Your name change will please my wife, Jeff. She always found your old one just a bit disturbing.

Looks like a wet one is in store. Methinks I might have a leaf in my collection bucket-- but perhaps the sound of the rain on the leaf cover suggests a heavier rain than actually is taking place.

Toasty--51/50

AMOUT...not a mild week next week. Even on the gold coast of S CT. Cold is winning..We are winners

MON THROUGH THU...

LONG WAVE PATTERN NEXT WEEK ACROSS THE NORTHERN TIER STATES INTO NEW

ENGLAND OFFERS A SUPPRESSED NORTHERN STREAM JET YIELDING TEMPS AT OR

COOLER THAN NORMAL FOR THE REGION. THIS IS CONSISTENT WITH

TELECONNECTIONS AS BOTH THE NAO AND AO BECOMING INCREASINGLY

NEGATIVE NEXT WEEK. THIS WILL LIKELY PRECLUDE WARM AIRMASS OVER THE

GREAT LAKES AND MID ATLC REGION FROM ADVECTING INTO NEW ENGLAND

AMOUT...not a mild week next week. Even on the gold coast of S CT. Cold is winning..We are winners

MON THROUGH THU...

I'm going to Phoenix Monday for a week long work related trip. I expect dramatically different wx upon my return late day 10/28.

MON THROUGH THU...

LL Cool Libations is Mid Atlantic ... continued thong traipsing as he mows clients lawns into November. :sun:

MON THROUGH THU...

Great post

Archived