• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid to late October disco/banter thread.

CoastalWx

At least snow cover looks like it might explode over western Eurasia.

I'm guessing we have a cold end of the month...but torch for next week...at least for a few days.

That seems like a prudent outlook at this point. I do think most long range guidance shows colder weather returning late month and early November. Almost time to start looking for "real" snowmaking weather come the end of the month and early November... so that'll be the time frame I'm really interested in.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic sunny day across New England... this is L.L. BFE weather. Looks like we've got about 1-2 weeks to rush all projects to completion for winter. The famed Indian Summer is something most ski areas love this time of year, haha. You've already tested the snow guns and are mostly ready for winter, but there's always those last projects like mowing, lift maintenance, laying hay that are more enjoyable when its sunny and 50-60F rather than raining at 35F.

All the leaves are down...we've entered full stick season.

Even down in the valley at 700-800ft the leaves are 95% on the ground...only a few stragglers left with leaves. Amazing that last year at this time we were just passing peak foliage and this year there's nothing on the trees at all.

At least snow cover looks like it might explode over western Eurasia.

I'm guessing we have a cold end of the month...but torch for next week...at least for a few days.

Teleconnectors bring a November winter start. yes to the warm up next week - though uncertain as to the extent of that with some tendencies in the runs to flavor the mid levels toward confluence up N could do some wedging. 00z Euro went over board because the pattern gave it an excuse to justify it's dig-sw-boner.

anyway, WPO static at -1SD and the PNA jolts up from -1 to +.5 by the end of week 2. Recurving TCS and an MJO that's launching a bid for 8-1. all together that's a loud chorus of cold N/A relay.

The NAO is the tank and every couple of days that extended range modification gets muted.

That all really looks quite cold heading passed fright night -

My work looks like that,just remember fall progresses south, work is a week behind my house which is a week behind Hunchie which is a week behind dendrite which is a week behind powdahfreak. Nothing unnatural about that.

Still, I didn't think it'd be that big of a difference lol. I thought that's what NJ would look like right now compared to home.

Where the fook are you that there are still that many leaves on the trees?

Still lots of green here, and certainly no bare trees. Not quite peak yet, but getting there slowly. Maybe another week to ten days? The color we do have is nowhere near as impressive as powderfreak's pics though I'm not sure any place in SNE can compete with that. As Cold Miser said, a lot of green in Nyack (just over the TZ Bridge) which is maybe 15 miles NW as the crow flies from here. Going inland even a short distance definitely makes a big difference.

Oaks are still 90% leafed here. Maples are pretty close to being bare near home, but still some good color on Rte 2 in Leominster/Fit

I'm surprised how they are turning though. I remember last year and 2007, they were green into November. Surprised may not be the best word, but it's a change as of late. Colors really popped here over the last few days, and trees are slowly becoming nude.

Still lots of green here, and certainly no bare trees. Not quite peak yet, but getting there slowly. Maybe another week to ten days? The color we do have is nowhere near as impressive as powderfreak's pics though I'm not sure any place in SNE can compete with that. As Cold Miser said, a lot of green in Nyack (just over the TZ Bridge) which is maybe 15 miles NW as the crow flies from here. Going inland even a short distance definitely makes a big difference.

I can't speak for other areas because I've read some posts the colors are really muted, but prior to last week, the colors here in this corner of CT were as vibrant as I've seen them in years past. My wife from Illinois even commented that we were much brighter than the past couple of years.

As for competing, I'd say that we hold our own in NE CT. Even PF says he likes it here at their family cabin. :D

Oaks are still 90% leafed here. Maples are pretty close to being bare near home, but still some good color on Rte 2 in Leominster/Fit

Sounds like my area only 45 miles north of me. Your oaks must be changing though, no?

I remember last year that the oaks in my area were just changing when the Oct. snowstorm hit, despite having the maples mostly bare, it still knocked out power to 100% of my town. I think this year is right on schedule.

Yeah...00z and 12z ec ens were a bit wet into the afternoon. The 12z NAM is really wet...GFS dry. Rain or dry, the show will go on and we'll have fun anyways. Congrats IL on the win if it's a soaker though.

Surprised it's still such a disagreement, but cutoffs will do that. I still say Sat aftn may be ok...if I'm wrong..oh well.

For the record though this will go down as the best fall color I've personally witnessed. I've got many years worth of photos and I went through them about two weeks ago and nothing was remotely close to this year. It was whatever species produces the reds. From my years of pics, the oranges and yellows look fairly similar from year to year and create good foliage...however having the reds as vibrant (almost nuclear glowing) as they were this year put it over the top. The other thing is all the trees seemed to peak at the same time...some years its so staggered that the colors never line up all together.

But whatever species brought the reds... that was the topper. Without the red it was like a lot of other years with more orange/yellow dominating.

IMG_7931_edited-2.jpg

IMG_7919_edited-2.jpg

Take out those reds and that's what last year looked like.

I can't speak for other areas because I've read some posts the colors are really muted, but prior to last week, the colors here in this corner of CT were as vibrant as I've seen them in years past. My wife from Illinois even commented that we were much brighter than the past couple of years.

As for competing, I'd say that we hold our own in NE CT. Even PF says he likes it here at their family cabin. :D

That area is like a mini-Vermont as far as I'm concerned. The family cabin is 3 dirt roads away from the nearest paved road, and the area is surrounded by dairy farms and rolling hills up near Bigelow Hollow and into Union. It really doesn't feel much different than up here minus the big peaks... but feels classic New England with rolling fields of corn, cows, white steeple churches, and rock walls everywhere.

Archived