amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 0.43 inch yesterday and 0.24 since midnight. The rain train seems to be receding westward towards the Blue Ridge rather than advancing eastward. Perhaps some interesting weather will fire up this afternoon, but I think the wedge will hold on long enough that the atmosphere can't get too charged here in the lee of the mountains. Maybe out towards Charlotte and Raleigh, but probably not here.

Very nice. Had a hard time sleeping so checked the rain total to find 5.38" storm total here in Dahlonega. Far more than I thought I would get. Nice training yesterday.

I must have missed the train :-). I had 2.1" in the gauge when I went to sleep last night and I think we only got a little more overnight. I'll gladly take it though.

congratulations to those who got a big rain esp. GA and western SC where it was badly needed. I just picked up a quick 1.00" and had a TOR warning with that deluge.

This has been a fun storm to watch unfold for some since at 5H it was an excellent setup for severe, cold damming, etc. I knew that Atlanta area would finally get agood soaking after seeing how the Atlantic Ridge, the Northeast vortex and the cutoff over the Arklatex would work together to squarely get Georgia and western Carolinas. This is about the exact same setup as the biggest snow storm of on record in my area, and one of the biggest for northeast Ga and Upstate SC back in 1969 as well, so not all negative tilt systems are bad..it depends on where exactly they cutoff and if the moisture can rotate over the same areas for a while, unfortunately that also means central and eastern Carolinas are left mostly with a skinny line (atleast in this case--dry slot). Later this Winter, if we get a solid arctic high to the north, and a well displaced Gulf , slow moving low, then overunning and deformation axis snow will be a big event. Anyway, I put together a quick graphic showing the rains. I'm sure we'll see someone come in with over 7" when its finally tallied.

post-38-0-27241200-1349192604_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-46879300-1349192689_thumb.jpg

KTRI has gotten a total of 1.67 inches for the event so far which is pretty solid. I thought we would get downsloped more than we did so that was good. Right now the sun has been out all morning and the temp has skyrocketed to 81 degrees as of 1pm which is already up 16 degrees from yesterday's high of 65. Maybe some storms can pop up before the front pushes through in a little bit.

1-2 inches on average here. Nowhere close to being the big winner this event for a change. 70 degrees felt hot today compared to the 50s.

.. Wilkes County...

1.92 Wilbar rg dcp

1.78 rendezvous mtn RAWS site

1.62 Millers Creek 1.9 NNW - ccr

1.69 Elk Creek at Elkville dcp

1.30 Wilkesboro 1.2 SSE - ccr

1.15 W Kerr Scott resv coop/dcp

1.13 North Wilkesboro coop

1.03 North Wilkesboro 0.4 S - ccr

0.91 Roaring River dcp

Over the past 24 hours 1.25 IMBY, Had over twice that much if I throw in Friday and Saturday rain. Looks like another steady quick shower knocking on the door according to radar, but needless to say the ground is like a sponge. Really looking forward to the coolest air of the young fall season late weekend/earlynext week. This 70 degree dewpoint weather cant exit stage left fast enough.

I ended up right at 6. Maybe 6.01 :) I heard on the news that Gainesville got 6 too. Man, if your station was near this train, if was good times!! T

I'm about 20 minutes just south of Gainesville, and was under the bands that seemed to be training all day yesterday. During the afternoon storm, my backyard resembled a lake. I haven't seen anything like that in at least 2 years. More amazing to me was the fact that there was precip falling from the sky here for close to 30 straight hours, it began on Sunday evening around 6 PM and didn't stop until about 2 in the morning on Tuesday......we did have a short break on Monday evening, but it didn't last for more than 20 minutes. Incredible, especially lately.

2 and a quarter for the year sucks, Cheston :) I hope ya'll are offering camel rides up there, to make extra bucks. Even Justin is beating the heck out of you! When the Moles bring the big, huge snow in Feb. you might only get a few flakes. Time to move, bud :) Now! Audio Guy isn't all that far away, and he got hammered too, so go north, or south, and you'll be ok :)

Seriously, the last time I remember training tropical down pours like this was TS Alberto. I was getting rain in 1/2 inch to one or more inch bursts, with steady lighter rains in between. A rain train has got to be one of the more impressive weather events available to the south. T

I got .2 but it was the good kind that fell slow, soaked in and didn't run off. :wacko:

Mr. Burns, everytime I get close to feeling sorry for you I see that snow pic on your avatar, and I remember I've never had it that good, lol. Still, I am sorry for your dismal showing, as I remember you looking out for me when you started your thread this summer, and I don't forget a kindness! T

I ended up right at 6. Maybe 6.01 :) I heard on the news that Gainesville got 6 too. Man, if your station was near this train, if was good times!! T

It certainly was good times lol. I was surprised. Heavy rain kept on coming and redeveloping in the perfect spot to give mby an awesome deluge lol. This was an "over performing" storm, which has been a rarity lately

Well that's a first! Out of 348 CoCoRaHS reporting stations so far today, my back yard, at 2.24" yesterday, was the most in N. Carolina!!! Go ME!!!! :thumbsup:

3.78" over the last 5 days, too, which is like a flood around here, given the number of misses I've had this year.

Archived