• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 2012 Obs/Discussion Thread

WilkesboroDude

Who wants to make bets on the DGEX tonight? 40 inches for CLT?

When I saw the snowfall map, I thought it must have been the result of a hacker wanting to get a laugh at our expense...... Is the threat of snow in Oct (even flurries) really possible east of the mtns? Well, if the dynamics of this storm play out as some of the modeled solutions, it just might be possible. Snow in the higher elevations of NC is almost a given by November 1st. I have seen it more times than not, but I have never witnessed snow in Oct here. I am rooting for the southern solution just for the novelty of what could happen here snow-wise. Needless to say this is going to be a big event for someone. I am positive that some all-time Oct snowfall records will be broken somewhere in the central apps (likely in WVa). Snowshoe looks to be the jackpot.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had some pretty good wind gusts today, and this evening, but I'm happy to say the leaves are staying on the trees! I've started to get some real nice color on particular trees the last 3 days, and I don't think peak is too very far off, as long as the leaves stay strong. So far so good. Wind makes it feel cooler than the upper 40's it is, so I've started my first fire of the winter...mostly to test out the stack. I'm getting some pretty good smoke when I open the fire box, so I suspect the birds have nested in the pipes again, but no mummified bird bodies this time. Nice, a trip up the ladder with the chain wad on a string tomorrow. One of the rituals of winter..... thank goodness that time has arrived again :) Didn't use the stove much last year, so I don't think there can be much creosote build up.

Nice day overall, though no rain here. A friend said she saw some heavy, fine drizzle in Jonesboro on the way down. Cloudy, windy, with falling temps. What's not to like! T

Archived