joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2012 obs/discussion

Ian

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the hike I did earlier today. I tried taking some photos to see if I could stitch them together and here's the result. It was very chilly with a stiff wind blowing once I reached the top and the 3 1/2 mile walk up was getting quite tiring, but the view was well worth it.

2nu2jig.png

From the hike I did earlier today. I tried taking some photos to see if I could stitch them together and here's the result. It was very chilly with a stiff wind blowing once I reached the top and the 3 1/2 mile walk up was getting quite tiring, but the view was well worth it.

2nu2jig.png

Wow nice scenery Disc, did you hike the A.T. and which part? Great views :thumbsup:

Wow nice scenery Disc, did you hike the A.T. and which part? Great views :thumbsup:

Thanks! Yes, it was the A.T. The area I hiked up to is called McAfee's Knob and is in the Catawba area of Roanoke County.

Any foliage color near the top?

Nope, not yet. Sitting at over 3,000 feet, I'm sure it wouldn't take too much longer for things to start changing over.

Ehhhh let's all be honest - snow weenies are way more annoying. I personally play for both sides.

Generally speaking the severe weenies are way more kind and considerate when discussion a run of a model etc. ;)

Snow weenies aren't unkind. They, we, may be a little too optimistic, but that's hardly unflattering. Some of the harshest comments I've ever seen on the weather side have come from people feeling the need to slap down a snow weenie, not the other way around.

Regardless, we are heading into the best time of year for some of us.

I think everyone who follows svr also follows snow... It's the snow weenies who only follow one type of weather :P

No, I like weather, except hot. And while I marvel at the power of a thunderstorm, I don't want severe because it causes too much suffering and work. I loved it way back when I lived in an apartment. Not so much now.

Just a little nip walking the dog with a polo on this this morning, and chilly enough to make me turn on the heat in the car.

Absolutely wonderful. But I hate knowing that it'll be cold in about to months or so, especially when I know full well that the likelihood of snow accompanying that cold is really quite small.

Just a little nip walking the dog with a polo on this this morning, and chilly enough to make me turn on the heat in the car.

Absolutely wonderful. But I hate knowing that it'll be cold in about to months or so, especially when I know full well that the likelihood of snow accompanying that cold is really quite small.

Honestly after the last 2-3 months, that's by far the least of my worries.

and probably gained back the calories you lost in the hike.

For those that don't know, by McAfee's Knob there is a restaurant set on a familial farm and antebellum-type home. They serve all you can eat southern food like fried chicken, roast beef, and salt-cured ham coupled with all you can eat veggies and to finish off that day's fruit cobbler a la mode. If the food isn't home-made they certainly try very hard to make it so.

If you're ever in the area, me and Disc would highly advise you go enjoy the all you can eat for $13. Bring stuff to do because don't be surprised to see 1-2 hr wait times (there's a large wait to be seated, but once you're seated you get food almost instantly).

Archived