Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
May 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like your area might have got hit for once? Hope so. I'll take what the GFS is showing in the next 10 days. Hopefully we finally luck up with a cutoff in just the right spot.

Nice line just came threw dropping at least .50 in the bucket along with some rumbling thunder. I love the looks of that map and would be happy with half the amounts shown :hug:

More spits and sputters here. .03" yesterday, .11 today and it looks like the jump to the SE is in full swing. I hope this next round Sun-Wed does not under perform like this one did.

I second this statement :lol:

Its raining!! Hard.

VantagePro says rain rate is 7.68" per hour. LOL A half hour will be enough.

Now that's a rain storm ^_^:thumbsup::weight_lift:

Sry folks,Haven't posted in awhile,,, things here on the coast, down here in SE, NC are DRY....

TOTAL Precip amount for the Month(s), of April through Today are 2.15" thus far...(IMBY)

I added up the amounts from Obs that the Airport has...

Mostly they were amounts like .05 to .35 etc etc, More like Traces of precip...

i'm observing on radar the Cold front pushing down, looks like ya'll in central NC/SC are reciving good amounts of showers w/Associated T-Storms...

Winds are ramping up in front of the squall line...30/40 knots below 1kft... As the front approaches the coast & encountering the SeaBreeze....

Hope everyone, including us here get some good rains/showers today... We all need it..

From

KILM

Although the line has remained

sub-severe it will encounter slightly stronger wind fields and

instability as it translates eastward. Widespread severe weather

is not expected...but a warning or two for low end severe wind is

possible...cae's radar was sampling some very low level winds in

the 30-40 knots range below 1kft. Slight enhancement/gustiness added

to thunderstorms associated with the actual squall line. Some weak rotation has

also been indicated...suggesting that wind fields are

strengthening....hopefully not more than anticipated though.

post-2767-0-79162800-1336592168_thumb.gi

424 PM EDT Wed may 9 2012

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

southern Franklin County in central North Carolina

southern Granville County in central North Carolina

Wake County in central North Carolina

* until 530 PM EDT

* at 419 PM EDT...National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated

severe thunderstorms along a line extending from Creedmoor to

Fuquay-Varina...or along a line extending from Creedmoor to 12

miles north of Lillington...moving east at 20 mph. Winds in excess

of 58 mph are likely with this storm.

* Locations impacted include...

Lake Wheeler...

Raleigh...

Purnell...Falls Lake...

Garner...

Wake Forest...New Hope...

Franklinton...Youngsville...

Glad to see this first pretty widespread rain event (maybe the biggest in a month for Ga, SC). After last night's .65", should be adding to it nicely today. We need it since departures are -5" or so around here and I see 7" to 10" below between Athens and Columbia...they should finally get a decent event too. Best news of all is the weakness or cutoff showing up next week. A big chunk of the Southeast could benefit from that.

Hey, Robert. Nice to see your tag! I better than doubled my totals since March 31st., in the last 3 days. I'm up to 1.35 after being at .4 for weeks and weeks. Nice soaking, gentle rain finally found me. Woopeee! Not much, but a big help none the less, 'cause things have been bad around here after such a banner span in late Feb. and early March. Tony

I cant wait neither! Ridgetops above 5k are likely to dip into the upper 30's.

Been perfect up here as of late, minus last weeks heat wave.

Ya i have picked up about a half inch of rain today with a high of only 60 degees. Felt really nice! Ya for Thursday night they are say a low of 37 degrees! Mighty chilly for this time of the year.

The radar looked good. Only got 0.06. Since the severe weather event in early April, I have seen a grand total of 0.19. We really need this cutoff. It took a long time for the levels in the ponds to drop because of the crazy rains we had last year, but they are VERY low now.

Same down this way. Minus last weeks heat wave it's been a nice cool refreshing spring. I'm not forecasted higher than the 70's the next 7 days with some 40's at night. Garden is in great shape at the moment. Picked up 1.2 since last night.

Same down this way. Minus last weeks heat wave it's been a nice cool refreshing spring. I'm not forecasted higher than the 70's the next 7 days with some 40's at night. Garden is in great shape at the moment. Picked up 1.2 since last night.

Most of the U.S. had the hottest March ever. I wouldn't call this a cool, refreshing spring ! It's been one of the warmest springs on record overall. Atlanta was +10 for March and +4 for April.

About over but I got a very quick and very welcome .91".

It's about time :weight_lift:

Was under the "severe" cell... nothing but heavy rain and some gusts. Chapel Hill airport gusted to 35mph.

~1.0" in 15 minutes was impressive though.

Wow...that is impressive :thumbsup:

Hey, Robert. Nice to see your tag! I better than doubled my totals since March 31st., in the last 3 days. I'm up to 1.35 after being at .4 for weeks and weeks. Nice soaking, gentle rain finally found me. Woopeee! Not much, but a big help none the less, 'cause things have been bad around here after such a banner span in late Feb. and early March. Tony

CAE picked up .95 yesterday ^_^:weight_lift: It's a perfect 55 deg. outside, and I'm going to enjoy a day in the upper 70's :wub:

Well that was a big time under performer for MBY...unless you live in the western half of my county where 2-3" was common. Ended up with .26" on Tuesday and only .08" yesterday.

Nice and cool this morning at 44.4....brrrr....

tell me about it. ga-lp-1 picked up 4.36 the 7/8th, whereas I picked up only .34. I don't imagine he/she is much more than 5 miles away from me. In fact, I did a sort, and ga-lp-1 (dahlonega 6.4 NW) had the highest total in the state for the 7th (4.01). Edit:Just did another query on all stations in the US for the 7th, and ga-lp-1 had the 8th highest total in the nation, beaten out only by several reporting stations in IL and IN.

tell me about it. ga-lp-1 picked up 4.36 the 7/8th, whereas I picked up only .34. I don't imagine he/she is much more than 5 miles away from me. In fact, I did a sort, and ga-lp-1 (dahlonega 6.4 NW) had the highest total in the state for the 7th (4.01). Edit:Just did another query on all stations in the US for the 7th, and ga-lp-1 had the 8th highest total in the nation, beaten out only by several reporting stations in IL and IN.

Wow...didn't realize that much fell. That storm was just parked over that part of the county for several hours on Monday. Our turn will come when we get a storm propagating off the mountains in the summer time heat.

It's about time :weight_lift:

Wow...that is impressive :thumbsup:

CAE picked up .95 yesterday ^_^:weight_lift: It's a perfect 55 deg. outside, and I'm going to enjoy a day in the upper 70's :wub:

Lol, we must have gotten under the same cloud :) Of course, it took 3 days to give me my .95 :) Last night felt great, with the fan off, and the blanket on, but it is already warmish this morning. Hope Robert's cut off appears next week. T

47 for the low this morning and only getting up to around 70 so far for today. Definitely a different feel in the air as opposed to the previous week with highs pushing into the 80s and low 90s during that period. .30" of additional rain from the remainder of the recent rain event, which puts the total to 1.48" for the month.

Archived