RECORD KEEPING...GOING BACK TO THE WINTER OF 1889-1890...THAT NO

MEASURABLE SNOWFALL OCCURRED AT THE OFFICIAL ASHEVILLE OBSERVATION

SITE. THE OFFICIAL OBSERVATION SITE WAS DOWNTOWN UNTIL 1964...THEN

MOVED TO THE AIRPORT.

NO SNOW FELL AT THE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG AIRPORT IN THE 2011-2012

WINTER. THIS IS ONLY THE THIRD WINTER ON RECORD THAT NOT EVEN A

FLAKE OF SNOW WAS OBSERVED IN THE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG METRO

AREA...GOING BACK TO 1896-1897. THE TWO PREVIOUS WINTERS THAT NO

SNOW WAS OBSERVED WAS THE WINTERS OF 1902-1903 AND 1923-1924.

ONLY A TRACE OF SNOWFALL OCCURRED IN CHARLOTTE IN THE WINTER OF

2011-2012. THIS HAS OCCURRED IN ELEVEN PREVIOUS WINTERS. THERE HAS

NEVER BEEN A COMPLETELY SNOWLESS WINTER IN CHARLOTTE GOING BACK TO

-----------------------------------------------------------

GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAD THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 62.5 DEGREES. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WARMEST

MARCH WAS IN 1945 WITH 60.6 DEGREES FOR THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE.

ASHEVILLE HAD AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN MARCH OF 56.4 DEGREES. THIS

IS THE SECOND WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD. THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD

WAS IN 1945 WITH 56.9 DEGREES FOR THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE.

CHARLOTTE ALSO HAD THE SECOND WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.3 DEGREES. THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD

WAS ALSO IN 1945 WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.6 DEGREES. APRIL

WAS ACTUALLY COLDER THAN MARCH THIS YEAR AT CHARLOTTE...WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.1

Picked up another .20" overnight.

Storm total: .39"

Ha, you almost beat my total for the last 5 weeks in one night :) I encountered 23 super intelligent rain drops just up the street from my house this afternoon. These drops knew what gravity is and how to utilize it to help them find the ground. All the rest, if there were any rest, must have flung themselves off into space, or chickened out and stayed in the clouds. Nothing worse that a dang chicken sit rain drop!

.40 and 23 drops since April 1. Tony

Line of storms in E TN taking aim on WNC. Will have to see if the Mnts break them up. Will report later as I am off to work.

Looks like it's already falling apart rapidly. A little surprising since these NW flow lines/mcs don't normally fall apart until they hit the mountains. It's moving really fast but I'm hoping there will be enough daytime heating to take advantage of the outflow boundary here but we'll see. I'm always cautious about northwest flow/southeast moving storm systems providing any meaningful rain southeast of say winder to toccoa due to downslope flow.

1.50" in the past 1/2 hour and still raining.

Awesome flash flood warning up and now the entire complex appears to be starting to rotate gonna see some 3-4" totals in a few spots

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=zoom&num=6&delay=15&rbscale=0.6173913043478261&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=RAX&type=N0R&lat=0&lon=0&label=you&showstorms=0&map.x=401&map.y=269&centerx=400&centery=240&lightning=0&smooth=1&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

I am guessing Solak is about to get pummeled he got a nice hit last night so I bet he is thrilled, sure hope this all holds up and makes it here to us in the east. Lots of farms had blowing dust today when I was riding around need it pretty bad.

WRAL had a pic up of hail (small ) covering the ground near Briers Creek from that cell earlier.

It's unreal....slight risk of severe all day here in north ga. I looked at the satellite visible shot several times and don't think I could hardly point out a cloud. I'm really beginning to think there's some type of invisible moisture shield above us. I don't think I've ever seen so many systems completely dissipate as they hit the Georgia line as I've seen in the past 4 months or so. Any SPC severe outlook here is the kiss of death lately.

I am guessing Solak is about to get pummeled he got a nice hit last night so I bet he is thrilled, sure hope this all holds up and makes it here to us in the east. Lots of farms had blowing dust today when I was riding around need it pretty bad.

WRAL had a pic up of hail (small ) covering the ground near Briers Creek from that cell earlier.

We were in N. Raleigh this afternoon & evening. Missed the early hailstorm that went through there, 2nd storm dropped an estimated 3/4" while we were there (Creedmore rd, just N of 540), checked the gauge just now, and we got another .93" so far this evening, with a little more on the way, so we're at 1.75" for the 2 days so far! Yes -- thrilled! Interesting radar presention right now, that looks like 2 meso-low circulations; one right over Raleigh, and another spin just E of Snow Hill. Like you - hope it holds together for y'all as it works towards the coast.

Felt 3 drops around noon today. That puts me up 26 drops and .4 since March 31.

On the interesting occurances side, I was playing croquet with a friend this afternoon, and a snake launched itself off the bank on the north side and into the air, twisting as if came. It was after something, but I don't know what. Odd thing to happen just a few feet from us. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go trapesing about in the woods this year..what with flying snakes, and such :)

I picked up two ticks while playing, with two others yesterday when I was walking behind the greens mower.... odd for such a close cut lawn....and this year, unlike other years, they are very often deer ticks.

And we were remarking at the absence of mosquitos. I haven't been bothered by them at all this year. A glaring anomoly. I'm beginning to wonder if the drought and super warm winter, has done more to get rid of them than a cold winter ever has. And the sudden proliferation of deer ticks, over the bigger ones is very curious.

But the biggest curiosity to me is the disappearence of the afternoon and eveing thunderstorm. When I was a kid we got 'em everyday, as soon as it got summer hot. But now a days it never pops a thunderstorm anymore. Months go by without one now. Strange things are afoot! T

Sunday

tstorms.gif Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain, then thunderstorms in the afternoon. High of 95F with a heat index of 113F. Winds from the WNW at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Thats best forecast on wunderground. lmao

More entertainment than accuweather. They have us at 90/102.

Anyhow.. hoping we get a good soaking today.

Ended up with exactly 2.00 inches of rain on my digital rain gage. Really need to cut the grass but need the sun to come out to dry everything. Also want the sky to clear so I can see the "super"moon tonight/tomorrow morning. **also it looks like we can turn the AC off for at least a week. Extended forecast shows mostly 70s for the next 7 days.

Archived