• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

Just started with the steady rain from Beryl.....for the first time in I dont know how long we have had rain on 8 or 9 straight days now, with 6-8" falling last Tues/Wed and then at least another 1-2" from the onshore flow and the general heavy showers and storms associated with it the last 5-6 days. The ground is saturated already even the showers we have had the last few days that last minutes leave standing water everywhere. If we do get 2-4" today then I suspect there will be some flooding, the creeks and ditches are already mostly full and this rain will not have anywhere to go.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weatherkid, my dry ground must have soaked up all of your rain. We picked up .5" and I was awakened by the wind throwing my trashcan into the garage door. I dont remember much lightning with the storm.

We ended up grabbing .44". It must have rained harder after I went to bed.

My ob word for today. Juicy. I'm hopeful it will translate into some good rains later. I'm still under 3" for the entire month but there is hope.

Hope is lost. It looks like I will end the month at 2.99". I haven't had a 3" month this year and I don't want to hear any nasty jokes from the usual suspects. :whistle:

Could not believe that big patch of rain made it all the way down from Tenn. but I got .8 late in the night, along with some distant thunder. Wow, just when I think the dunes will reach the front door, respite! I'll take it. 1/2 an inch, then 16 days later another .9 over 3 days. T

Currently 93 and raining with the sun out.

Drought conditions are better with the exception of North/Central Georgia. We are now in a severe drought rather than extreme. Florida is way better than last week. They have gotten rid of the exceptional drought.

MBY is still in the red :(

BUT..........................................

For the second month in a row CAE has recorded above normal rainfall, with 4.71(+1.86) falling in May :wub:

Ended the month with 2.99. 11.09 for the year which is 5.72 below normal

Wish I could share we had a great May in fact it was almost to much of a good thing.....offically PGV ended the month with 9.71" but thats middle north in the county the southern parts got 1-3" more. For the year PGV is at 26.29" so for once we are doing pretty well we are actually 3" ahead of where we are suppose to be now. However over at Bozarts place he is only at 19" for the year so the range in the county is pretty big.

I gotta feeling tomorrow might make up some of it for ya looks like there could be several rounds of thunderstorms so hopefully we get some nice coverage and everyone gets a inch or so.

Gonna finish May 2012 with 9.40 inches...this continues a trend over the past year-plus where the eastern slopes of the Southern Appalachians have been getting way above average in rainfall. A lot of upslope flow which is something that I never remember happening to the extent that it currently is.

Pretty good month here. A lot of times May starts the long, boring, dry Summer in my area down to Upstate SC when northwest flow really shafts us on showers, and bonus redevelopment occurs in the foothills, esp. northern foothills of NC down to central piedmont on a convergence axis (except last year, when it was near to above average). Looks like the really dry areas of central Ga to around ATL and AHN metro areas are the standouts and again central Arkansas and the tri-state region of west Kentucky/Ill/Mo., where its usually quite wet.

There are signs of a cooler to near normal Summer and near normal rains for once in a broad region of the Southeast this season. We've been above normal in temps for about 7 straight months now, though May really ticked down, so it probably felt cooler, relative to the blazes of the Winter and early Spring.

post-38-0-75793700-1338517164_thumb.jpg

It might be a little early to say this, but it looks like another dissapointment for the Atlanta area with this system. Radar looks pathetic downstream, minus a cluster of storms near Auburn.

Radar will be deceiving in this instance, but it could still skip Atlanta for the most part since the timing isn't the best. Still, by morning the trough is far enough west that the neg. tilt of it will allow quick re-development in northeast Ala, east Tn and the Apps, and then that slides and grows east through the day. Atlanta is still right at the bottom edge though, so it could be scattered there but some areas even south would probably get hit good, just more scattered compared to just north of there.

With yesterday's pop-up storm, KSAV is .36 over for the year... and 4.50 above average for May.

On a different note, I'm working in a new building this year, and yesterday was the first sustained hard rain that most of us have seen since moving in here. The newest parking lot collected over six inches of standing water, and flooded the interiors of several cars. People walking out to their cars immediately after the storm had water up to their mid-calf.

Final May Stats:

Hi Temp: 92.0 F (on 5/02)

Hi Temp Above 90: 3 days

Lo Temp: 43.8 F (on 5/11)

Lo Temp Above 60: 9 days

Mean Temp: 69.0 F

Hi Wind Gust: 15.0 mph (on 5/21)

Total Rainfall: 7.78 in (measured rainfall > 0.01 in on 11 different days)

Wettest Day: 3.48 in (on 5/14)

Rainfall for Year: 19.08 in (Jan - May)

Ended up with 4.76" fir the month of May. Wettest month so far this year.

15.63" on the year to 5/31/12.

Unfortunately my 2.99" for May is also my wettest month of the year. After only getting 1.72" in April, once the heat starts things will go downhill in a hurry. Need to do better.

Archived