Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not much of a difference, but generally Durham gets more snow than the Charlotte area. Some years, it can be a significant difference, mainly because RDU is more likely to get in on Noreaster action than Charlotte, and is usually colder during major Arctic outbreaks.

if you're talking about the south side of town, yes. However, he clearly mentioned the U-City area. That northern part of Mecklenburg County would do just as good as much of Durham County.

Another thing to mention, the NW reaches of the Charlotte metro do better in CAD Storms(along and north of 85) than areas that far east.

Now, that's what I call a storm!! Heavy rain and small hail. I just picked up a quick 1.30 inches of rain in just over 20 minutes! Just WOW!! The rain was so heavy at times that I could barely see the woods behind the house. Heavy lightning and thunder too. One of the best I've ever experienced.

Edit: In the final ten minutes, my Vantage Vue recorded 0.75 inch of rain! Still drizzling lightly and the temp dropped from upper 70s before storm hit to 62 F right now.

Wish I'd left the office 30 minutes earlier, it would have been nice to have gotten a measurement of just how much the storm dumped on us out here in SW Douglas County. I drove through the tail end of the torrential rains, after moving aside to let the fire truck by. It was headed to ... something ... on the cutoff road at the corner of the Post/UnionHill/Helton Rd intersection about 4 miles S of I-20. Lightning hit a house? Downed tree, wire, ??? Guess we'll find out in a bit.

Well over an inch, however. The bins I had outside after the weekend scrubbing are all holding a good 1.5+".

Every driveway has the waterfalls pouring into the road, our gravel driveway is a minature Grand Canyon of erosion now, and the CG flashes + near-instant thunder-cracks are finally starting to move on. I don't envy the EMS people out in the downpour, surrounded by trees and wires and lots of metal.

Looks like more excitement for Carroll/West Douglas from the next couple of cells, and meanwhile things are still hopping on the east side of the county.

Do we have anyone in east Carroll/west Douglas north of I-20, or Buchanan/Rockmart/etc who is getting it now?

A update on last nights storm. The north side of town up towards the Flat Creek area got hit pretty bad. When I took the kids to school this morning you could clearly see the remnants of some flash flooding. Here is a story about it from the Asheville Citizen-Times.

http://www.citizen-t...e/2012120521021

Emergency crews respond to flooding in north Buncombe

11:59 PM, May. 21, 2012 |

Comments

written by

From staff reports

WEAVERVILLE — Flooding forced the evacuation of a mobile home park Monday evening on New Covenant Drive.

About 30 people were staying at a nearby church after they were evacuated from their homes at Eden Glenn Mobile Home Park.

A building inspector was on the scene late Monday trying to determine if the mobile homes had been lifted off their foundations. That will determine how soon residents can return home.

A transformer went out during the flooding, leaving eight customers without power for about 90 minutes, according to Progress Energy. Seven other customers had power disconnected as a building inspector tried to determine if it was safe for the power to be on.

The Flat Creek area received about 4 inches of localized rain in an hour, with the heaviest rain falling between 6:30-7 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The water rose quickly.

“The storm that affected that area developed very rapidly,” said Doug Outlaw, meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

No injuries were reported.

In addition to the flooding, emergency crews in the northern part of the county were also dealing with mudslides.

The National Weather Service said more heavy rain is possible in Buncombe County Tuesday afternoon and evening.

WLOS TV 11:00 pm news video

http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wlos_vid_7484.shtml

WLOS morning update video

http://www.wlos.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wlos_vid_7486.shtml

Mostly missed round 2 as well with .19 despite being in a severe warning, only .20 here for the last week. I totally give up. I am declaring a personal extreme drought advisory for my back yard.

I know how you feel, we missed the Gwinnett severe warned storm last night, but did actually get about 20 minutes of the peripheral light rain. SPC now has our whole area under a slight risk of severe which has pretty much been the kiss of death so far this year. Maybe we'll hit the jackpot today.

Under a slight risk for today.

...SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE STORMS OVER NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE

FORECAST AREA LATER TODAY...

.UPDATE...BROAD LOW PRESSURE TROUGH IN MID AND UPPER LEVEL IS

LOCATED OVER THE SE STATES WITH BEST FORCING RIGHT NOW OVER

CENTRAL AND ENTERING W CENTRAL GA. A 500 MB LOW WAS NOTED OVER NE

AL AND NW GA WHICH WILL SLOWLY SHIFT EWD. STRENGTHENING MID LEVEL

FLOW AND DAYTIME INSTABILITY WILL LEAD TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF SCT

SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH SOME STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS

POSSIBLE MAINLY IN SE GA. ISOLATED STRONG STORMS CANNOT BE RULED

OUT IN NE FL. THE PRIMARY CONCERNS WILL BE GUSTY WINDS AND HAIL

IN STRONGER STORMS. DRIER AIR AND SUBSIDENCE WILL WORK INTO THE

AREA FROM WEST TO EAST TONIGHT WITH RAIN CHANCES DIMINISHING AFTER

MIDNIGHT.

Believe it or not, I actually picked up about 0.48 of an inch last night.(probably the most rain i've had in a couple of months at one time....pathetic) Nothing very heavy but a nice soaking rain that last a couple of hours. Of course I need much much more so I hope I get something heavier today. Good news is I have had a lot of sun today to destabilize things and there is some cumulus building but I'm always cautious about being so close to a dying mcs. The negative effects of them often spread quite a ways away.

After another week without measurable rain, we've decided to make some lemonade. We are going to open a theme park for the kiddies. We'll have camel rides, sand skiing, a delirium hike through the dunes, sidewinders and scorpions for some spine tingling chills, and the soon to be famous, "No water for you" endurance challenge. We have a Gary Cooper look a like doing scenes from Bo Geste, and, on display, the actual stick they stuck up the camels butt in Lawrence of Arabia. What fun!! It's only 39.95 for a family pass....and grandma gets in free :) T

After another week without measurable rain, we've decided to make some lemonade. We are going to open a theme park for the kiddies. We'll have camel rides, sand skiing, a delirium hike through the dunes, sidewinders and scorpions for some spine tingling chills, and the soon to be famous, "No water for you" endurance challenge. We have a Gary Cooper look a like doing scenes from Bo Geste, and, on display, the actual stick they stuck up the camels butt in Lawrence of Arabia. What fun!! It's only 39.95 for a family pass....and grandma gets in free :) T

:lol:

Picked up a 'heavy" Sprinkles of Precip this Morning as a T-storm popped up overhead here in ILM then moved north-east outta here...

Sea-Breeze has Kicked-in, Popping up Storms up & Down the Coastal areas, No doubt ILM will miss out on the benifical rains *again*...

mucho Humidity outside, (I had to kick on the AC the first time this year)...

Temps are NOT bad, just the Dewpoint & Humidity....

Temp currently is @ 83.2 F, Dew setting @ 67F Winds are outta the ESE around 10~15....

humiduty "says" 58%, though it's a'lil higher in Localised areas that got the "heavy Sprinkles" this morning...

Maybe, just Maybe ILM will pick up on some of the MCS's that are moving up from the South this afternoon, (I doubt it)...

post-2767-0-86238600-1337711552_thumb.gi

yeppers, i was partialy right,,,,

We now have...

The National Weather Service in Wilmington NC has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...

northern New Hanover County in southeast North Carolina

southern Pender County in southeast North Carolina

* until 415 PM EDT

* at 313 PM EDT... National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated a

severe thunderstorm capable of producing quarter size hail... and

damaging winds in excess of 60 mph. This storm was located 6 miles

northwest of Wrightsboro... or 6 miles north of Leland... and moving

northeast at 15 mph.

* Locations in the warning include but are not limited to...

Wrightsboro...

Castle Hayne...

Rocky Point...

Ashton...

Mooretown...

More dangerous thunderstorms may develop and affect other communities

in the warned area.

post-2767-0-69393800-1337714979_thumb.gi

Getting a rare occurance tonight here along the escarpment...normally cloud visibilty is limited here close to the mountains. About the only time you can see anvil's from a long distance is when you look towards the South. Tonight I'm getting that treat as I can see the top from a storm in Greenville County SC, a storm that's towering over 52,000 feet.

Archived