Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2012 Obs and Discussion Thread

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not a surprise that all of the thunderstorms are south and west of us. We are cooking here at 95/98. Best forecast on wunderground actually got the high right. Over did the heat index though. Everyone else was at 90-92. I knew I would be sitting here watching all the ominous clouds pass to the south with severe thunderstorm warnings. Maybe a random one will just pop up over us.

That's not a surprise that all of the thunderstorms are south and west of us. We are cooking here at 95/98. Best forecast on wunderground actually got the high right. Over did the heat index though. Everyone else was at 90-92. I knew I would be sitting here watching all the ominous clouds pass to the south with severe thunderstorm warnings. Maybe a random one will just pop up over us.

Definitely seems that the only rain chances around here too is the random pop up thunderstorm. Take a look at the visible image, nice, dry, and clear in north Georgia, the area storms systems are laid to rest god rest their soul :( What's been interesting so far this spring (or summer might as well say) is that all of our 40% to 60% chance days have been bone dry. Usually you can count on pop ups or clusters to hit here and there, but nada here. Oh well, still several hrs. of daylight. One can hope.

post-1217-0-45863200-1336340603_thumb.jp

Definitely seems that the only rain chances around here too is the random pop up thunderstorm. Take a look at the visible image, nice, dry, and clear in north Georgia, the area storms systems are laid to rest god rest their soul :( What's been interesting so far this spring (or summer might as well say) is that all of our 40% to 60% chance days have been bone dry. Usually you can count on pop ups or clusters to hit here and there, but nada here. Oh well, still several hrs. of daylight. One can hope.

Actually saw a decent downpour here. Congrats to the first rain in 2 weeks. Still not that much to do anything to the drought. Heavy stuff to the south and north. Hopefully you get some rain too!

Currently 76 and windy with light rain, loud thunder and dangerous lightning strikes around.

Big T-strom with a warning attached over mby. :thumbsup:

And it has been extended 5 times so far. Until 9:15 pm, now. Was raining so hard, it actually sounded like hail was hitting the house IMBY.

From the looks of the radar, you guys are really getting it over there, congrats. Think ya'll could blow it over here a little to the east????

It's so pitiful, it's funny. Looking at radar there are at least 4 outflow boundaries going out from a central point and I'm in the middle of that hole. Rain all around, but nothing but distant thunder here. Always at least a county away. T

I've been watching the darned storms pop up between me & Atlanta ... and move south or east or north or everywhere but closer! When I left the house on some errands mid-day, the pavement-wet-line started half a mile east! That's not FAIR. To add insult to injury, three miles west of here they got 1"+.

We finally got a nice little storm triggered by one of those outflow boundaries passing over about 45 minutes ago. Only 1/2 inch but we'll take it.

Looks like it's already falling apart rapidly. A little surprising since these NW flow lines/mcs don't normally fall apart until they hit the mountains. It's moving really fast but I'm hoping there will be enough daytime heating to take advantage of the outflow boundary here but we'll see. I'm always cautious about northwest flow/southeast moving storm systems providing any meaningful rain southeast of say winder to toccoa due to downslope flow.

Fall apart it did we got .08 out of it. Looks like 40's for lows later this week in the Mnts.

It's unreal....slight risk of severe all day here in north ga. I looked at the satellite visible shot several times and don't think I could hardly point out a cloud. I'm really beginning to think there's some type of invisible moisture shield above us. I don't think I've ever seen so many systems completely dissipate as they hit the Georgia line as I've seen in the past 4 months or so. Any SPC severe outlook here is the kiss of death lately.

I feared this saturday when I made my post that the outflow boundary was actually going to screw us. That complex was moving very fast and so was the outflow boundary of course, thus the outflow boundary, which if you are behind it you are screwed, moved through early enough to just kill us. Naturally.

And then yesterday, having to sit back and watch storms to the west while not a drop around here was maddening. And just think, there was at one point 60% pops here yesterday.

This morning there is a line of showers that has formed very close by but naturally just to the west of me and I'm sure they won't be back building as the line is following the same SE to NW path..ie training. More salt in the wound.

And just think, there was at one point 60% pops here yesterday.

That's what has struck me as unusual about this season so far is how the higher pops are not playing out for hardly anyone in N Georgia (with the notable exception of the western suburbs last night of course, but they were supposed to be in a higher chance yesterday anyway). During the dog days it is common for the isolated tiny storm here and there when there is a 10 to 20% chance, but earlier in the year/season, it's usually almost a sure thing with 40 to 50% pops for most everyone. Hopefully we'll get a good soaking the next couple of days. Have faith!

Dude, even more maddening was watching the lightning flashes and not a drop at the house.

Today there is rain East and North of the house and not a drop has fallen there.

Lookout, Elbert County \ North of Athens, looks like it might be in the sweet spot this morning.

Just got crushed by rainfall. Lots of street flooding around. I guess I got what I asked for. Wow that rain came down so heavy. What 2-3 inches an hour rates. Got hammered by rain. Winds were in the 20-30mph range and lots of lightning. Loving it! Saw up to an inch of rain. 1.74 in the last 24 hours. Still raining and thundering currently.

I've been watching the darned storms pop up between me & Atlanta ... and move south or east or north or everywhere but closer! When I left the house on some errands mid-day, the pavement-wet-line started half a mile east! That's not FAIR. To add insult to injury, three miles west of here they got 1"+.

We finally got a nice little storm triggered by one of those outflow boundaries passing over about 45 minutes ago. Only 1/2 inch but we'll take it.

Well, it looks like you and I might get to dance, if the wad of rain makes it in out of Ala. My guess is it will stay together for you, but fall apart soon after. I can always dream though, lol, and I am hearing thunder again. But I'm surrounded by pods that don't seem to be moving :) Tony

Archived