• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 21st Weekend Rain-a-Thon?

Herb@MAWS

I have added a summer (June, July, August) column and a yearly column to the above, as well as rows showing the summer and yearly averages in those 10 years and in all years, 1871-2011. So, on average, summer precipitation in those ten years has been 1.14 inches above the long-term summer average, but with the yearly average for those ten years 3.7 inches below the long-term yearly average.

One more note on this: Precipitation for the ten lowest years in DC during January through April has averaged 7.49 inches, versus an average of 12.60 inches during those four months, 1871-2011. So, there was an average precipitation deficit during those years in the first four months of 5.11 inches. Therefore, with a corresponding yearly deficit of 3.7 inches, there was a precipitation surplus over the final eight months for those years of 1.41 inches, of which 1.14 inches came during June, July, and August. So, on average, when there has been an exceptionally dry January through April in DC, a portion of the precipitation deficit has been made up during the summer, with the other five months of the year featuring nearly average precipitation.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more note on this: Precipitation for the ten lowest years in DC during January through April has averaged 7.49 inches, versus an average of 12.60 inches during those four months, 1871-2011. So, there was an average precipitation deficit during those years in the first four months of 5.11 inches. Therefore, with a corresponding yearly deficit of 3.7 inches, there was a precipitation surplus over the final eight months for those years of 1.41 inches, of which 1.14 inches came during June, July, and August. So, on average, when there has been an exceptionally dry January through April in DC, a portion of the precipitation deficit has been made up during the summer, with the other five months of the year featuring nearly average precipitation.

Awesome Rodney. Thanks a lot for that data. Gives me hope for green grass in July and August.

Severe threat tomorrow?

Some isolated stuff possible... saw the SPC gave us a 5% this morning. I think there's still a low tornado threat in southeast VA and Delmarva where you have some enhanced low-level rotation, even if the overall shear and instability are fairly low overall. The safer bet will be stuff along the cold front, but a few discrete cells are possible ahead of the front

Some isolated stuff possible... saw the SPC gave us a 5% this morning. I think there's still a low tornado threat in southeast VA and Delmarva where you have some enhanced low-level rotation, even if the overall shear and instability are fairly low overall. The safer bet will be stuff along the cold front, but a few discrete cells are possible ahead of the front

Well it's great that I will be in Salisbury then :)

I'll take pics of my tornado :)

lol... I'd be surprised if the SPC gave Delmarva a 2% tornado risk tomorrow :P Much better chances of there being zero tornadoes than not-zero.

That being said, if it looks like things are improving tomorrow I'll likely head out to southeast VA for some chasing. As of right now I'm still on the fence.

lol... I'd be surprised if the SPC gave Delmarva a 2% tornado risk tomorrow :P Much better chances of there being zero tornadoes than not-zero.

That being said, if it looks like things are improving tomorrow I'll likely head out to southeast VA for some chasing. As of right now I'm still on the fence.

Keep me posted. I'll check the board when I can, twitter works though. We have a party to go tomorrow afternoon outside, so don't wanna get caught in something bad should it pop up

Archived