12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 21st Weekend Rain-a-Thon?

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came to Frederick for work. Rain/snow mix when I left the house. Once up to about 800' elevation on I-70, it was all snow and heavy. Accumulating on the top of South Mt. above 1000' even on the road shoulder. 5-car pileup too, along with a car flipped over on old 40 near the entrance to the Appalachian Trail.

Snowing on Braddock Mt. too, but not sticking there yet.

Just came to Frederick for work. Rain/snow mix when I left the house. Once up to about 800' elevation on I-70, it was all snow and heavy. Accumulating on the top of South Mt. above 1000' even on the road shoulder. 5-car pileup too, along with a car flipped over on old 40 near the entrance to the Appalachian Trail.

Snowing on Braddock Mt. too, but not sticking there yet.

Wet flakes were mixed in for a few minutes on 270 in Gaithersburg at 7:15am this morning during a heavier shower. Temp was 35.7F and I was at 510' elevation.

I didn't look at obs today....but based on my trip last year on April 1st, I think Canaan Valley, WV must be the place to be. Nice resort there and a snow paradise for that latitude at like 3400'.

For sure. But that isn't close. I'm just looking for a quick day trip. Gotta be back in 5-6 hours.

Pretty hard for me to get to some of the suggested places with my time parameters. I think I mentioned my time limit. On sugarloaf now at 1000 ft. Wasn't expecting much and didn't get much. Spitting rain. Upper 30s. Going to head to the catoctins and /or south mountain.

Those look like your only play. Good luck.

(I never knew where any of those locations actually were until 5 minutes ago)

"Numerous showers will continue across lower southern Maryland and the metropolitan areas of Baltimore and Washington DC for the remainder of the afternoon. Rainfall amounts of a tenth of an inch an hour will be likely. In addition...a few of the stronger showers may produce some graupel."

I have never seen graupel referenced in a layman's forecast, and only know what it is due to hanging out on this forum.

Thanks. I got to 1850' which is one of

The highest points in Frederick county. Apparently I parked in a restricted area (camp David?). I got hounded by the park police and given a citation/warning and I am now in their system whatever that means. There was patchy snow up there with more than patchy on the vehicles. It was intermittently spitting snow, icy mix and 34 degrees. I am now at 1500' but think I should change locations before I get hounded again.

It's actually 38 on the summit according to weatherbug but my car read 36 and has been running 2-3 degrees too high all day.

Archived