joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 21st Weekend Rain-a-Thon?

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CAPE has improved a little ahead of the cold front (mostly 1000-1500 J/kg, with some pockets of 1500-2000 J/kg), but the winds have become more unidirectional in the low to mid levels and the LCLs look to be a bit higher than I'd like. Could squeeze out some wind/hail reports out of this, and the latest model runs indicate only a low chance for tornadoes on Delmarva.

I'm holding out hope for a chase on Saturday, but we'll have to see what these winds end up doing.

I hope its a total bust. We're in the running for driest April ever. The last thing I need is some stupid half-inch rainstrom screwing it up at the end. :P

Drought records are one of the very few extreme events I would say no to, even though it doesn't affect me personally much in the end. I wouldn't mind a driest month record if we weren't already in drought conditions, but there's no reason to make the bad worse.

It looks like most areas could expect around a half inch of rain this weekend, give or take.

What is the latest Euro showing for this?

I can't access those maps here at work. Also, does anyone know why on the Wundermap site, several of the things listed at the right have a strike through over them, including the one labeled models? Is this a computer setting that I can change?

What is the latest Euro showing for this?

I can't access those maps here at work. Also, does anyone know why on the Wundermap site, several of the things listed at the right have a strike through over them, including the one labeled models? Is this a computer setting that I can change?

euro still had like 1"+ i95 and east.. a little less particularly west than prior runs.

in this situation i might be tempted to believe the GFS scenario tho it looks like it brings the coastal precip in a little closer this past run. however we suck at getting a phase right to get good precip so i'd lean toward the lighter end. why anyone was talking about widespread 'drought busting' rains is beyond me tho. perhaps im wrong but i don't really believe in heavy rain with a frontal passage and i think we're going to need help with the coastal.

euro still had like 1"+ i95 and east.. a little less particularly west than prior runs.

in this situation i might be tempted to believe the GFS scenario tho it looks like it brings the coastal precip in a little closer this past run. however we suck at getting a phase right to get good precip so i'd lean toward the lighter end. why anyone was talking about widespread 'drought busting' rains is beyond me tho. perhaps im wrong but i don't really believe in heavy rain with a frontal passage and i think we're going to need help with the coastal.

Agreed... also, to add on, we'd probably need a couple 2-3" rain events to alleviate our drought, maybe more on Delmarva.

Most of the drought busting comments are probably based on the runs from a couple of days ago that had the low running up the coastal plan or even further inland. Now it looks quite mundane.

post-1746-0-84764100-1334852765.gif

Most of the drought busting comments are probably based on the runs from a couple of days ago that had the low running up the coastal plan or even further inland. Now it looks quite mundane.

post-1746-0-84764100-1334852765.gif

yeah probably.. and i guess i was specifically thinking of local JB -- as recently as yesterday -- talking about widespread 3"+ amounts across the area. the models are generally iffy with stream interactions that become high qpf events, and of course we've seen that play out a number of times over winter etc. it pays to remain skeptical in these situations i think...

and re: mark, yeah, could be we need a few rains. though at least in this area we can 'bust' it fairly quick maybe not as much so to the east.

personally i hope we lock into an east coast ridge pattern with a west coast trough in the next few weeks. :P

Hope it's right. it is getting into the period when it does pretty good. I wonder whether its ensemble mean will like it. Its forecast suggest to keep and open mind about Sunday.

Ensemble mean has about 1.25" of precip for DC. The low is a bit more east then the euro at your location but curls back into and thru NYC later on.

The spread has decreased because the low looks more consolidated then previous runs.

YTD at DCA: 5.75" of precip

These are the 10 lowest Jan-Apr totals on record.

1872 6.28 10.52 32.22

1977 6.99 12.08 36.14

1969 7.08 19.88 43.30

1985 7.09 7.31 35.86

1981 7.32 11.26 30.67

1946 7.80 10.29 33.62

1942 7.87 19.65 48.02

1967 7.96 15.92 38.15

1968 7.96 12.66 36.83

1947 8.58 12.14 36.65

10-Year Average 13.17 37.15

1871-2011 Average 12.03 40.85

I have added a summer (June, July, August) column and a yearly column to the above, as well as rows showing the summer and yearly averages in those 10 years and in all years, 1871-2011. So, on average, summer precipitation in those ten years has been 1.14 inches above the long-term summer average, but with the yearly average for those ten years 3.7 inches below the long-term yearly average.

Archived