Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your letter grade for the winter of 2011-2012

eyewall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I going to give it a B- simply because if it isnt going to be cold and snowy then I want it mild and dry and for the most part it came through for me. Snow is like 3rd or 4th on my list of favorite weather to experiance so the early severe stuff the last few months also helped with the B-.

It was the worst model watching winter in the internet model watching era. Looking back, it actually made me appreciate how good the 2009-2010 winter was...which had a strong El Nino combined with a strongly negative NAO. From Dec 1 to Mar 16 of that winter, the NAO was negative a whopping 102 out of 106 days...all contributing to several winter storms across the SE.

I going to give it a B- simply because if it isnt going to be cold and snowy then I want it mild and dry and for the most part it came through for me. Snow is like 3rd or 4th on my list of favorite weather to experiance so the early severe stuff the last few months also helped with the B-.

UNC 88 Duke 70

For "good" weather, I'd give this winter an A. The Dec/Jan/Feb mean temps ran +4, +4, and +2 degrees respectively. And as would be expected with our drought conditions, there was abundant sunshine.

For "winter" weather, I'd call it a complete fail (grade F.) I saw not one single snowflake or sleet pellet for the first time in my 9 winters here on Cape Fear. While snow is of course never a guarantee, sleet is not an uncommon visitor to this part of the state during the cold months - until of course, this winter.

There were no strong storms of any sort; and lightning/thunder was almost entirely absent. Accustomed to dull winters here to start with (being I'm from Maryland), this one took the cake.

Tim in ILM

:pimp:

I will give this winter a D. I had 14 inches of snow and my highest one storm total was only 5 inches and we have at the current never made it below zero and this will be a first for that in several years. I am expecting us to get snow possibly the next 2 month but that will not be in winter that will be for spring time. Just a horrible winter for me.

I give it a C. I would have given it a F in my younger days.

F- saw one little flurry that shouldn't even count as one. As Charles Barkley would say, "turrbile..just turrible"

I think Charlotte is still paying for the February 2004 snowstorm. I thought for sure we would have a major ice storm this winter. We're long overdue for one.

F Saw more than a flurry IMBY with 0.9" total snowfall, so I can't give it an F- but it's pretty dang close. Without seeing the heavy rates on my way to Raleigh from WV during that storm I would probably be more bitter and give it an F-.

A For education, this winter has trumped every winter I've been on the boards since easternuswx. Reason being is we had a lot of pattern talk rather than simply looking at SLP/vorticity/snowfall maps week after week. Loved the talk by mets about the pattern and the ever so elusive "pattern change".

I am at peace, though, and ready for severe weather season!

Temp F (Cold leaves way too fast)

Snow D+ (2 systems for light accumulations)

School Closings/Delays A+ (Zero closing and delays because of timing issues/days off anyway)

NWS Blacksburg Forecast F- (Excluded Wilkes County until the day it hits and throws out a winter storm warning for the February snow, and ended up with advisory criteria, then no special weather statements from today's clipper) *Blacksburg did do very well in the previous years when it came down to much larger winter weather producers

Overall Grade C- (Probably spoiled from previous winters so will curve the grade)

Averaged around 2-3 inches from pretty much 2 main systems this winter. Enough to make everything white and pretty looking up to a day and a half or for today's case, several hours from the morning clipper.

F here. Easily the least Winter-like Winter I've ever seen in western NC my whole life of 42 years. And looking at the records going back to the late 1800's, only 1902, 1908, and 1923 had a completely snowless season at GSP...not sure my county, but I'd assume about the same. I saw 8 to 10 flakes during the afternoon of the strong upslope event in the mountains mid Feb, and about 2 or 3 flakes the morning of the clipper early March. Until this year, 2006-2007 season was the worst, when I had a 10 minute flurry. I think the Upstate to around here is the only spot in the Southeast that gets 4" + year, and didn't see any this year. The pattern was so bad the models never even had a chance to generate false threats. Hopefully this is just a "spike" bad year in otherwise good string of cold/stormy Winters...we were definitely due a dud.

Archived