joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Your letter grade for the winter of 2011-2012

eyewall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F here. Easily the least Winter-like Winter I've ever seen in western NC my whole life of 42 years. And looking at the records going back to the late 1800's, only 1902, 1908, and 1923 had a completely snowless season at GSP...not sure my county, but I'd assume about the same. I saw 8 to 10 flakes during the afternoon of the strong upslope event in the mountains mid Feb, and about 2 or 3 flakes the morning of the clipper early March. Until this year, 2006-2007 season was the worst, when I had a 10 minute flurry. I think the Upstate to around here is the only spot in the Southeast that gets 4" + year, and didn't see any this year. The pattern was so bad the models never even had a chance to generate false threats. Hopefully this is just a "spike" bad year in otherwise good string of cold/stormy Winters...we were definitely due a dud.

Maybe we were due a dud, but we were due a dud of this magnitude ?

• 1 month later...

How much snow do you average in Asheville? I know you have some elevation there. Has there EVER been a winter with NO snow? Your criteria for F might be higher than 0.

The Airport has recorded a trace this year & they avg. a little over a foot. I live about 25 miles Nrth of the airport (Downtown splits the diff.) and you can see in my sig what I have averaged since 2003 when I moved to my location. I get more thru NW flow events than the airport does. If you include the last 2 years it brings my average up to 18+" a year.

Well this sums up last winter......hope I never see one like it again!

NOUS42 KGSP 021215 CCA

PNSGSP

GAZ010-017-018-026-028-029-NCZ033-035>037-048>053-056>059-062>065-

068>072-082-501>510-SCZ001>014-019-022000-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

810 PM EDT MON MAY 01 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

...WARM WINTER WITH LITTLE SNOW...

ONLY A TRACE OF SNOW FELL AT THE ASHEVILLE REGIONAL AIRPORT IN THE

WINTER OF 2011-2012. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF

RECORD KEEPING...GOING BACK TO THE WINTER OF 1889-1890...THAT NO

MEASURABLE SNOWFALL OCCURRED AT THE OFFICIAL ASHEVILLE OBSERVATION

SITE. THE OFFICIAL OBSERVATION SITE WAS DOWNTOWN UNTIL 1964...THEN

MOVED TO THE AIRPORT.

NO SNOW FELL AT THE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG AIRPORT IN THE 2011-2012

WINTER. THIS IS ONLY THE THIRD WINTER ON RECORD THAT NOT EVEN A

FLAKE OF SNOW WAS OBSERVED IN THE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG METRO

AREA...GOING BACK TO 1896-1897. THE TWO PREVIOUS WINTERS THAT NO

SNOW WAS OBSERVED WAS THE WINTERS OF 1902-1903 AND 1923-1924.

ONLY A TRACE OF SNOWFALL OCCURRED IN CHARLOTTE IN THE WINTER OF

2011-2012. THIS HAS OCCURRED IN ELEVEN PREVIOUS WINTERS. THERE HAS

NEVER BEEN A COMPLETELY SNOWLESS WINTER IN CHARLOTTE GOING BACK TO

-----------------------------------------------------------

GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG HAD THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 62.5 DEGREES. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WARMEST

MARCH WAS IN 1945 WITH 60.6 DEGREES FOR THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE.

ASHEVILLE HAD AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE IN MARCH OF 56.4 DEGREES. THIS

IS THE SECOND WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD. THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD

WAS IN 1945 WITH 56.9 DEGREES FOR THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE.

CHARLOTTE ALSO HAD THE SECOND WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.3 DEGREES. THE WARMEST MARCH ON RECORD

WAS ALSO IN 1945 WITH AN AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.6 DEGREES. APRIL

WAS ACTUALLY COLDER THAN MARCH THIS YEAR AT CHARLOTTE...WITH AN

AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF 61.1

------------------------------------------------------------

$$

OUTLAW/TOMKO

Well this sums up last winter......hope I never see one like it again!

NOUS42 KGSP 021215 CCA

PNSGSP

GAZ010-017-018-026-028-029-NCZ033-035>037-048>053-056>059-062>065-

068>072-082-501>510-SCZ001>014-019-022000-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

810 PM EDT MON MAY 01 2012

i just saw that - and it shows just how miserable this year was for almost all of us lol. now that this bad winter is a fading memory hopefully next winter will make up for some lost action

I still can't believe what a crapfest winter we just had. Amazing. Me and my good friend were talking about it today. I mean wtf I can't believe we just had that crappy a winter.

Ya i agree with all the above. Just crazy at how this winter was not winter like at all! We did not have no artic blast and not even one big snow. Amazing that just on the other side of the world they were having one of the worst winters in a long time.

Even up here we got about 20" of snow...less than half our average. We did see some snow in late October and late April so I can't go below a C for "coolness" factor. I knew that we'd end up paying for a string of good winters back home though, as we got well over average snowfall 09-10 and 10-11. I'm just crossing my fingers that we don't have another brutal summer...

On a scale of positive 1-10... this year was a -99. It just showed me what winters would be like living in florida and I could not stand not having at least some chance of snow and cold weather during the winter months. Worst winter I have ever experienced and hope I never experience one like this ever againl!

On a scale of positive 1-10... this year was a -99. It just showed me what winters would be like living in florida and I could not stand not having at least some chance of snow and cold weather during the winter months. Worst winter I have ever experienced and hope I never experience one like this ever againl!

For future reference, is -99 a vowel or a consonant? :)

Maybe we were due a dud, but we were due a dud of this magnitude ?

It was the perfect flow all Winter to bring the North American continent extreme warmth, especially the lower 48. The super positive AO and NAO is to blame for our extreme warmth. On the other side of the world it was pretty cold, esp eastern Europe and part of Russia and Asia and Alaska. Already the last 4 months is the warmest on record 118 years for the bulk of the lower 48 states. We fell on the wrong side of the coin flip.

post-38-0-53987800-1336577456_thumb.jpg

It was the perfect flow all Winter to bring the North American continent extreme warmth, especially the lower 48. The super positive AO and NAO is to blame for our extreme warmth. On the other side of the world it was pretty cold, esp eastern Europe and part of Russia and Asia and Alaska. Already the last 4 months is the warmest on record 118 years for the bulk of the lower 48 states. We fell on the wrong side of the coin flip.

post-38-0-53987800-1336577456_thumb.jpg

That is the easiest met map to read in history.

Archived