Newest Member
    joxey
Your letter grade for the winter of 2011-2012

eyewall

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F-

Not only from a SE perspective but there have been few really big events to follow throughout the lower 48. I'm 52 and this has been the worst/most boring winter I can remember in quite some time. Early to mid-90's had some real losers too, but this is as bad as it gets.

If you were going to grade the entire CONUS, you would probably have to go with an F or a D. The only area that saw ANY memorable winter weather would probably be the Front Range and High Plains.

My grade would be a D with the only thing saving it from an F being the deformation band snow on 2/19. Overall still the most disappointing and miserable winter I have experienced in NC.

I agree completely. I'd have to give it a D as well, and if not for that one storm, and that one band really, it would have easily been an F. Pretty sure most people on the east coast would grade out somewhere in the d-f range this year, just not a good one for us snow lovers.

For my back yard & with a F being no snow I would say a D to D-. My biggest snow was barely 2" & all my snow was from flow events. Just a awful winter for snow lovers.

How much snow do you average in Asheville? I know you have some elevation there. Has there EVER been a winter with NO snow? Your criteria for F might be higher than 0.

How much snow do you average in Asheville? I know you have some elevation there. Has there EVER been a winter with NO snow? Your criteria for F might be higher than 0.

The Airport has recorded a trace this year & they avg. a little over a foot. I live about 25 miles Nrth of the airport (Downtown splits the diff.) and you can see in my sig what I have averaged since 2003 when I moved to my location. I get more thru NW flow events than the airport does. If you include the last 2 years it brings my average up to 18+" a year.

The Airport has recorded a trace this year & they avg. a little over a foot. I live about 25 miles Nrth of the airport (Downtown splits the diff.) and you can see in my sig what I have averaged since 2003 when I moved to my location. I get more thru NW flow events than the airport does. If you include the last 2 years it brings my average up to 18+" a year.

I would consider 5" a fail for you.

Winter IMBY dropped the class and didn't even get a grade. He will try again next year. I had a couple of heavier snow showers early on from some ULLs and had some flurries but nothing great. I think we got in the teens 4 nights and had plenty of frosts but thats it.

definitely an FFFF, have never witnessed such a terrible winter, I hope its another 30 years before we see another winter like this. next year has to be and most likely will be better than this winter, heck it won't take much to beat this winter.

So far it is going pretty much as I expected. It is amazing how many times we said the pattern change is around the corner and of course that never happened. It will be a hard wait until next year for sure.

I give it a Z. Because it was asleep all winter. But if I was giving it a school grade it was an F. Plus I would make it write, "I will snow winter of 2012-2013" 500 times on the board.

Ugh. Even weenies didn't have anything to get excited about. :ee:

Archived