Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
2012 Winter Banter Thread #3

yoda

Bob, we need a weak NINO (at least)....bottom line

anything short of that and we are assured a "meh" at best winter, or another dog

and that's not to say a NINO will guarantee us anything great, just give a us a fighting chance at snow when 850's are -2 or colder and thicknesses are 540 or lower, unlike this year

It seems like we need a lot of things to avoid a crappy winter around here: weak nino based in just the right spot, + PNA, -NOA, -OA, etc, etc. I guess that explains why 6 out of every 7 winters suck for us.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had two others nearly as bad in just the last decade.

Well I'm talking specific. Looks like we have a good shot to stay at 2" at DC at this pt which is third worst on record. Of course bad winters are pretty much a norm.

anything short of that and we are assured a "meh" at best winter, or another dog

and that's not to say a NINO will guarantee us anything great, just give a us a fighting chance at snow when 850's are -2 or colder and thicknesses are 540 or lower, unlike this year

I really hate to say this Mitch...but even a weak Nino after a Nina (or multi year nina) doesn't really show all that much promise. Dataset is tiny but other than 57-58, nothing really stands out. The best enso match for a weak Nino following a multi-year Nina would be 76-77. Didn't really get close to climo snow in DC or mby.

68-69 would stand out as a decent analog IF we have a weak Nino because the preceding Nina was quite weak. Winter of 68-69 was a nickle and dime event year for sure.

Looking at enso alone, it appears the better Nino's are the ones that follow a neutral that follow a Nina. 86-87, 02-03, & 09-10 all had that recipe. Hard to say if it really tells much because the set is so small but all 3 of those winters kicked some serious butt.

After seeing what happened this year, it wasn't really enso that killed us. Other teleconnections totally overwhelmed the pattern (generally speaking). The majority of the season behaved more like a Nino from a storm track and precip perspective. The NAO was particularly destructive for us but snow lovers in europe experienced a winter comparable to what we saw here in 09-10.

Give me a winter dominated by a -nao and I could care less what enso looks like.

Am I really discussing next winter? I think I need to seek help.

ENSO is going to play a heavy role in deciding our fate so that will keep my interest quite a bit this summer. I'm working on stats and data for each of the 3 possible outcomes and see what shakes out. As been said many times already, 3rd year Nina's or neutral after multi year Nina's don't offer much excitement. However, after a virtual snowless winter imby, a single storm that covers the grass next year will be a win.

Just as some folks got overconfident this year (relatively speaking) based on the supposed -NAO regime, I think many will get spooked by what happened this year. That's completely understandable, and it's just one reason why I'd hate to be in a long-term forecaster's shoes.

I'll be giving myself a F for my forecast. Just before that, I had one of the best forecasts for summer 2011. How's the -QBO doing?

refreshing, an accurate assessment

as for the QBO, if you read the thread, I made it clear it was based purely on prior years with similar QBO numbers were pretty good around here; I also said that with a 2nd year NINA, it was all we've got

maybe if you quit trying to twist my QBO thread into something it wasn't, like you did in many of your forecast assessments, you'd be better off

I really hate to say this Mitch...but even a weak Nino after a Nina (or multi year nina) doesn't really show all that much promise. Dataset is tiny but other than 57-58, nothing really stands out. The best enso match for a weak Nino following a multi-year Nina would be 76-77. Didn't really get close to climo snow in DC or mby.

68-69 would stand out as a decent analog IF we have a weak Nino because the preceding Nina was quite weak. Winter of 68-69 was a nickle and dime event year for sure.

Looking at enso alone, it appears the better Nino's are the ones that follow a neutral that follow a Nina. 86-87, 02-03, & 09-10 all had that recipe. Hard to say if it really tells much because the set is so small but all 3 of those winters kicked some serious butt.

After seeing what happened this year, it wasn't really enso that killed us. Other teleconnections totally overwhelmed the pattern (generally speaking). The majority of the season behaved more like a Nino from a storm track and precip perspective. The NAO was particularly destructive for us but snow lovers in europe experienced a winter comparable to what we saw here in 09-10.

Give me a winter dominated by a -nao and I could care less what enso looks like.

Am I really discussing next winter? I think I need to seek help.

Bob, I didn't say the NINO would be good; in fact I said it was no guarantee

I did say I would rather it than another NINA

whether it's a NINA or NINO, it will probably be weak so the "other factors" will certainly dominate it would seem

and we are definitely way to early to discuss the "other factors"

Oh well weather is one of things we cannot control therefore no need to get too up or down about it. Life balances out and as we have had suck a** winters like this one and kick a** winters like 2009-2010, the future holds both cases for us as well as everything in-between. I just hope our next kick a** winter is not too far in the future as I am not getting any younger.

refreshing, an accurate assessment

as for the QBO, if you read the thread, I made it clear it was based purely on prior years with similar QBO numbers were pretty good around here; I also said that with a 2nd year NINA, it was all we've got

maybe if you quit trying to twist my QBO thread into something it wasn't, like you did in many of your forecast assessments, you'd be better off

The QBO and La Nina... because the AO, NAO, PNA, EPO, WPO, MJO, GWO, PDO, AMO, etc. don't exist.

You made it clear in posts in different threads that you were relying on the E QBO to give us a good year and disregarded what the other indices were doing WRT our snow chances.

And now here you're putting it all on the line based on getting into an El Nino, once again disregarding all of the other indices. Do you need to be reminded that DCA's 3rd highest seasonal snowfall came from a weak La Nina?

Just as some folks got overconfident this year (relatively speaking) based on the supposed -NAO regime, I think many will get spooked by what happened this year. That's completely understandable, and it's just one reason why I'd hate to be in a long-term forecaster's shoes.

Looking at the numbers, I think the most recent -nao regime has been given way to much credit. It pales in comparison to the 61-66 stretch and this year is record positive. I'm as guilty as the next guy thinking that we had entered into a long term -nao like the 60's. It's just not the case. 09-10 was just a heck of a combination of just about everything. 10-11 shut the cold valve off pretty abruptly in Feb and that was that.

Because I have obvious problems with my need to look into the #'s, here is the average nao for the DJFM period for the 61-66 stretch and 08-11 for comparison:

61-62: -.698

62-63: -1.208

63-64: -1.375

64-65: -.833

65-66: -.300

08-09: +.085

09-10: -1.475

10-11: -.355

05-06 was a negative overall year but 06-07 & 07-08 were positive so you can see that the current "-NAO" regime is really pretty lame when you boil it down. This year is atrociously positive. Now that I looked closer at it, I don't even think we were in any type of long term -nao regime. 2 years is pretty weak imo. I would be interested to know what contributed to such a long -noa stretch in the 60's. It was pretty impressive.

imho, it can't be done on any consistent basis, but it's entertaining to discuss

and even hindsight can't always prove or disprove why any forecast went right/wrong

in the end, we shouldn't be surprised at the failure of long range forecasting considering some of the 24-48 hr forecasts we had for snow this year

in the end, it's all Wes' fault

Looking at the numbers, I think the most recent -nao regime has been given way to much credit. It pales in comparison to the 61-66 stretch and this year is record positive. I'm as guilty as the next guy thinking that we had entered into a long term -nao like the 60's. It's just not the case. 09-10 was just a heck of a combination of just about everything. 10-11 shut the cold valve off pretty abruptly in Feb and that was that.

Because I have obvious problems with my need to look into the #'s, here is the average nao for the DJFM period for the 61-66 stretch and 08-11 for comparison:

05-06 was a negative overall year but 06-07 & 07-08 were positive so you can see that the current "-NAO" regime is really pretty lame when you boil it down. This year is atrociously positive. Now that I looked closer at it, I don't even think we were in any type of long term -nao regime. 2 years is pretty weak imo. I would be interested to know what contributed to such a long -noa stretch in the 60's. It was pretty impressive.

That's easy. I hadn't been born yet, so the winters were an endless party around here. :axe:

imho, it can't be done on any consistent basis, but it's entertaining to discuss

and even hindsight can't always prove or disprove why any forecast went right/wrong

in the end, we shouldn't be surprised at the failure of long range forecasting considering some of the 24-48 hr forecasts we had for snow this year

in the end, it's all Wes' fault

It is really entertainting to discuss and the best part about being an enthusiast aka weenie is that we can be wrong and nobody gives a crap. Well, as long as the wennie has a decent general knowledge of weather. Winter storm "pop in" experts who don't add a microgram of analysis kinda annoy me.

The tough part with Wes is you just can't refute his analysis. He was a dream smasher this year but he was the shizzle during 09-10. Quite an asset to have active in our forum though. He's like the weenie warden. We'd be out of control without him in the winter. lol

Don S is a heck of a med to lr enthusiast. I'll never grow tired of reading his stuff.

Sorry, but I don't think that will ever be true. It may be more likely, but I don't think assured. I do agree with the second part of that sentence. It sure seems to be all related to precip here. Not type, but how much. We've had about 2.2 inches of precip over here since New Year's. That's not going to be much snow in a winter with marginal temps even if it all fell as snow.

Sorry, but I don't think that will ever be true. It may be more likely, but I don't think assured. I do agree with the second part of that sentence. It sure seems to be all related to precip here. Not type, but how much. We've had about 2.2 inches of precip over here since New Year's. That's not going to be much snow in a winter with marginal temps even if it all fell as snow.

would "odds strongly favor" a meh winter or worse worked then, because I don't believe at BWI there are any winters with average snow or better during a 3rd NINA or neutral after 2 NINAs?

The NE thread on their snow event is like a replay of ours from last week...weenies hugging and doing other private things to the NAM and pretending the most recent Euro and GFS guidance doesn't really exist. Red taggers ducking in every so often to try and temper enthusiasm. Seems like old times.

Denial knows no subforum boundary. I'm starting to think that some evil meteorologist self-produces the NAM output just to lather up the weenies. Luckily, we in the Mid Atlantic forum never take the NAM seriously.....well almost never.

MDstorm

Oh, the irony...I guess I was right with my post; somebody's got a problem and it has nothing to do with snow

http://www.americanw...ost__p__1413498

one thing I'll give marge a compliment on is if the design and intent of his posts are crafted to actually draw the exact response that he seems so good at doing and so quick to deny then he is a pretty clever poster. it takes a fair amount of skill to walk the line that he does. too bad he uses his skills so nefariously.

The NE thread on their snow event is like a replay of ours from last week...weenies hugging and doing other private things to the NAM and pretending the most recent Euro and GFS guidance doesn't really exist. Red taggers ducking in every so often to try and temper enthusiasm. Seems like old times.

Cept its actually going to snow

what kind of private things? lol.

Interesting as always, Bob. Thanks.

Do you have the NAO numbers for the years as a whole? Obviously, NAO in winter means more to folks on the board than does NAO in summer, but it'd be interesting to see where the numbers stack up for whole years (or even the entire -NAO period in the 60s v., say, the last seven years). And when I say "interesting," I mean just in terms of curiosity.

Archived