e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For BWI on the GFS, freezing level is between 900 and 925mb at 6z and then steadily drops toward 12z reaching 950mb. Lower still at 15z. Surface temps 35-37F the whole time. I surprised that meteogram shows 100% frozen for DCA. DCA's skew-Ts are very similar to BWI's. Not sure where the pellets comes in either as there's no above freezing level aloft.

To me LWX's forecast for IAD looks pretty good...though maybe a touch warm. Forecast soundings to me look like snow the few hours around 12Z...the GFS keeps it all snow through tomorrow with a small chance of some mixing mid-day. Will be interesting, though precip amounts so light...

This one came out a few minutes ago. The prior one was ridicule-worthy. This isn't terrible.

post-1746-0-02740400-1328896497.jpg

I agree, that looks pretty darn accurate down here

I still doubt BOX getting decent accumulations as the bl is depicted to be pretty warm through at least half the qpf on the NCEP maps and this winter we need to respect the models when they depict bl problems

it is pretty terrible. there is no way I am getting 3-8" of snow this weekend based on any legit model run. .25" QPF at the best, with half of that as rain, isn't going to give me 3" of snow. I don't know what geographical area he is supposed to be excellent in forecasting for--maybe his backyard?

Maybe he doesn't know where the mountains are. :unsure:

it is pretty terrible. there is no way I am getting 3-8" of snow this weekend based on any legit model run. .25" QPF at the best, with half of that as rain, isn't going to give me 3" of snow. I don't know what geographical area he is supposed to be excellent in forecasting for--maybe his backyard?

he's yet to get even ONE forecast to verify out here despite years of practice.

idk- I'm going to be pretty jealous of your area when the energy comes through after the front. You might squeeze 2" out of that and you may squeeze 1" out of the pre-frontal stuff. It's hard to say really because the precip sweet spots for both "events" are pretty tough to pinpoint. I don't think .5-1" from the vort swinging through sat afternoon around the metro areas is too agressive. You'll do better in your area.

Yeah, he has his 3-8 line in VA just west of Leesburg down into Fauquier County and further south. I just think he "mis-located" the mountains by about 40 miles. Other than that, his guess is reasonable based on what we are seeing. Waiting for Ellinwoods map. I will go with that one.

That map needs an "up to 2" zone in eastern 50 miles of the 3-8 zone which he has for the high country of wv.

I think Jon Jon area will see over a foot total by Sunday as ratios go high there

Yeah, he has his 3-8 line in VA just west of Leesburg down into Fauquier County and further south. I just think he "mis-located" the mountains by about 40 miles. Other than that, his guess is reasonable based on what we are seeing. Waiting for Ellinwoods map. I will go with that one.

Geography is not DT's strong suit. Several years ago, I dared to point out that his map of an event for a particular area came nowhere close to matching the text description. He chewed me out in a private message. I usually just look at DT's maps for the entertainment value. I rarely take them seriously.

Archived