Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

Here's my snow map for now through 12z Sunday:

20120210-11_MAsnowFinal.png

Some additional snow could accumulate up in the mountains past 7am Sunday, but I've got the bulk of it encompassed in the forecast and the 12z cut-off should make verification a bit easier.

Wow so not even a dusting with the vort pass N&W of the cities?.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20120210-11_MAsnowFinal.png

Some additional snow could accumulate up in the mountains past 7am Sunday, but I've got the bulk of it encompassed in the forecast and the 12z cut-off should make verification a bit easier.

Are you just changing the dates on your maps? Doesn't look any different than before :P

Reasonable map, mark. Good luck.

Are you just changing the dates on your maps? Doesn't look any different than before :P

Reasonable map, mark. Good luck.

Ha, thanks. Yeah, it seems like the same ol' thing for a good chunk of us.

Wow so not even a dusting with the vort pass N&W of the cities?.

I'm thinking a dusting to 1/2 inch for most of MD/DC with that vort pass. However, I do not plot snowfall accumulations under an inch on my maps (way too much work when I have to do all of this forecasting and verification in my spare time).

At first I thought you might be over compensating for getting burned a little mid-week, but then I remembered that your map doesn't show less than 1 inch accumulations (other than the word "mixing"). Have you considered a pink area for coatings?

Nice map.

Edit: You answered my question. Thanks.

At first I thought you might be over compensating for getting burned a little mid-week, but then I remembered that your map doesn't show less than 1 inch accumulations (other than the word "mixing"). Have you considered a pink area for coatings?

Nice map.

Edit: You answered my question. Thanks.

I reserve the pink shade for when I think there will be a good amount of only sleet/ice accumulation (that doesn't overlap with the 1"+ snow line).

WWA just issued here for 1-3". LOL. I'm sure it'll be just as warranted as the one on Wednesday which produced exactly 0.00" of snow here.

I think this one has a better chance. Better time of day, better in that the sun has been shieded somewhat by the clouds today, better couple of days leading up in that it was "cold" giving us better ground conditions. We'll see, but if we wake up to a little snow cover it won't be a shock. None wouldn't be a shock either.

I'm interested in tomorrow afternoon. Anyone with thoughts on how that might play out? Usually that stuff doesn't work well for us.

For those who didn't see this thread Weather Forecast and Discussion, this is a really helpful excel based forecasting tool:

http://www.txtornado.net/Worksheet.html

The thread:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/32389-cool-new-free-excel-based-forecasting-tool/

I'm interested to see what the MA mets have to say about it.

i guess the general public is too stupid to realize the difference but im not sure why everyone's still calling this coastal storm precip. i guess it's a nuance not really worth getting into but it seems to leave at least some with more hope than they should have.

I'm proably letting the weenie side of me take control a bit but I do like the vort moving into northern IL. I don't have high hopes for anything before that because frankly there's no reason to think it will amount to anything different that what I've already seen because of the stupid surface temps.

Maybe we do get more than a line of snow showers/squalls on sat afternoon? I'm looking forward to the 18z nam. Is one stinking inch of snow actually sticking to the grass AND sidewalks too much to ask for god sakes?

He's being mean. I used to like him.

And who's saying "coastal precipitation?"

most of the media etc. i think it's probably just because it's easier.. it is related of course. i suppose it's a stupid thing for me to be annoyed about.

I'm proably letting the weenie side of me take control a bit but I do like the vort moving into northern IL. I don't have high hopes for anything before that because frankly there's no reason to think it will amount to anything different that what I've already seen because of the stupid surface temps.

Maybe we do get more than a line of snow showers/squalls on sat afternoon? I'm looking forward to the 18z nam. Is one stinking inch of snow actually sticking to the grass AND sidewalks too much to ask for god sakes?

A few minutes ago I was on the goes site and realized that I couldn't remember the last time I looked at a water vapor loop just to watch cold air intrusion.

For those who didn't see this thread Weather Forecast and Discussion, this is a really helpful excel based forecasting tool:

http://www.txtornado.../Worksheet.html

The thread:

http://www.americanw...recasting-tool/

I'm interested to see what the MA mets have to say about it.

Oh man - reminds me of that snowmachine program thing - anybody remember - I will not comment again on it - the guy acted like a robot? anybody remember and know if he/she was ever exposed?

most of the media etc. i think it's probably just because it's easier.. it is related of course. i suppose it's a stupid thing for me to be annoyed about.

You might be annoyed because it falls into the hype category. I watched a WMAR video clip just a while ago and weather woman that I've never seen before said that this won't be a big deal because our precip "will not join up with the coastal storm."

Quite the antithesis of JB.

You might be annoyed because it falls into the hype category. I watched a WMAR video clip just a while ago and weather woman that I've never seen before said that this won't be a big deal because our precip "will not join up with the coastal storm."

quite the opposite of what we would have expected a former met on that station would have suggested, don't you think?

that's good.. i know the former wmar person is talking about bust potential in the se if the coastal gives more than currently anticipated. i know some of it is just ease of explanation tho i think people are generally receptive to learning. but take all the rain after lee.. the big days were ones in which "lee" was already well to our northeast even if it helped the upper trough orientation/strength. yet everyone called it flooding from lee.

Archived