Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't access maps right now. Is there an area of heavy precip around the tidewater or thereabouts?

.25" line oriented sw to ne touches the va/nc border right on the coast.. maybe another 20-40 miles east is the .5" line. it's a smidge west of 0z but pretty much within error.

hard to tell how much if anything falls after 54.. .1"+ line drops south a bit in va at least. not sure how much over .1"+ that is.. maybe matt can chime in.

very little precip falls after hour 54....trace amounts.....euro is dry, warm and uninspiring as we all knew it would be....now everyone can go back to discussing the KU we are about to back into tomorrow night.......I am sure if the 18z NAM is promising, everyone will pretend the euro never even ran

Nearly every single individual ensemble member on the 12z GFS was wetter at 48 hrs than the OP -- http://www.meteo.psu...RS_12z/f48.html

They have pooer resolution so won't keep the gradients as tight. Taht might be part of the reason. At this time range, you out to use the sref more than the GEFS. The gesf are for longer range forecasts, the sref for shorter range ones as they have better resolution than the gefs though not as good as the operational.

Speaking of the SREFs, on the 9z run, every member but one gives BWI 0.15"+ of QPF. Mean snow is 0.12", max snow 0.21", min snow .0". Mean rain 0.12", max 0.33", min 0.03". DC is similar in totals, but chop the snow in half.

IYou must mean the 15Z as teh 09Z was lighter than that.

post-70-0-42762400-1328812574.png

My mistake I was looking at dca.

Speaking of the SREFs, on the 9z run, every member but one gives BWI 0.15"+ of QPF. Mean snow is 0.12", max snow 0.21", min snow .0". Mean rain 0.12", max 0.33", min 0.03". DC is similar in totals, but chop the snow in half.

Based on the QPF and the progression of the temperatures profiles from the 12z suite it doesn't look like anyone outside of the mountains will get more than a trace to an inch from this event... not even map-making worthy :P

DCA doesn't look like it will get down to the freezing mark for this event, either. Unless they get some good rates at some point during the event I wouldn't expect any accumulation inside the DC metro. NW DC might get a dusting if they're lucky.

Based on the QPF and the progression of the temperatures profiles from the 12z suite it doesn't look like anyone outside of the mountains will get more than a trace to an inch from this event... not even map-making worthy :P

DCA doesn't look like it will get down to the freezing mark for this event, either. Unless they get some good rates at some point during the event I wouldn't expect any accumulation inside the DC metro. NW DC might get a dusting if they're lucky.

If a 12z NAM/Euro/GFS blend verifies verbatim, than I'd agree with you. I'm just not convinced that will happen. Trends are still in the right direction more or less. Things might still improve. That said, I still am glad to be above the fall line.

It was my mistake, I thought I read dca and you had written BWI.

Saw that after I posted. I deleted my response. Wouldn't want Ellinwood to yell at me about cluttering up this thread. :whistle:

Taking a more detailed look at the region, I think the MD/PA border could expect around an inch of snow unless the rates completely suck and the warm-ish boundary layer kills accumulation. WV/VA/west MD mountains should expect 1-2" with localized 2-4" totals.

If that verifies you would have many happy campers. Thanks.

Taking a more detailed look at the region, I think the MD/PA border could expect around an inch of snow unless the rates completely suck and the warm-ish boundary layer kills accumulation. WV/VA/west MD mountains should expect 1-2" with localized 2-4" totals.

That's what I have been thinking at this point. This is a difficult call once again.

2-4 for Snowshoe and Canaan Valley? I would think higher based on clown snow maps from GFS and NAM which show 6-8 in spots.

I think he was only referring to precip from the coastal system. Once the arctic front sweeps through the les maching will kick in. If the trajectory sets up right, deep creek area might get more than a foot. There's some 500 energry rotating through after the coastal moves away that will probably enhance the snowfall because of the convective nature of the squalls, warm lake temps, and the orographics. It's actually quite tempting to take a drive out there. It could be a pretty good event.

Maybe Phin will lend me his keys in exchange for a 30 pack?

I think he was only referring to precip from the coastal system. Once the arctic front sweeps through the les maching will kick in. If the trajectory sets up right, deep creek area might get more than a foot. There's some 500 energy rotating through after the coastal moves away that will probably enhance the snowfall because of the convective nature of the squalls, warm lake temps, and the orographics. It's actually quite tempting to take a drive out there. It could be a pretty good event.

Maybe Phin will lend me his keys in exchange for a 30 pack?

Correct... I didn't add in any post-storm LES affecting the mountains. LES-prone mountains could/should bump up to the 4-8" range.

Archived