• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Weekend Disco/Obs Thread

stormtracker

I think he was only referring to precip from the coastal system. Once the arctic front sweeps through the les maching will kick in. If the trajectory sets up right, deep creek area might get more than a foot. There's some 500 energry rotating through after the coastal moves away that will probably enhance the snowfall because of the convective nature of the squalls, warm lake temps, and the orographics. It's actually quite tempting to take a drive out there. It could be a pretty good event.

Maybe Phin will lend me his keys in exchange for a 30 pack?

it's not even really precip from thec coastal sys around here.. it's moisture with the southern wave getting advected north as the streams try to come closer together. outside a nam run i dont think we've really gotten anything from the coastal except perhaps some enhancement due to wind flow.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not even really precip from thec coastal sys around here.. it's moisture with the southern wave getting advected north as the streams try to come closer together. outside a nam run i dont think we've really gotten anything from the coastal except perhaps some enhancement due to wind flow.

Bad choice of words on my part. I was lumping it all pre-front precip together and shouldn't have used the C word.

What do you make of the chunk of energy that moves through late sat/sun? GFS shows some flurries at the very least. Going to be very cold so it could be squally. Just grasping at straws but maybe we score a little powder that sticks to the streets.

Bad choice of words on my part. I was lumping it all pre-front precip together and shouldn't have used the C word.

What do you make of the chunk of energy that moves through late sat/sun? GFS shows some flurries at the very least. Going to be very cold so it could be squally. Just grasping at straws but maybe we score a little powder that sticks to the streets.

not sure.. models vary on it a bit at least. flurries/snow showers seem like a safe call for now. should feel wintry at least.

Kicks east at 48...looked good til then

Yeah this run opens some doors for us, another very close run for us on the NAM, which makes us all come back at 0z for more with some new upper air data by then. See initially it takes away some of our front end stuff, but then the low is actually W of last run, a potential trade off for the better, we shall see. As phin said, its so dawgone close.

let's wait for the fresh data at 0z.

Agreed, it is a weenie saying but Easternuswx over in the CPA thread says 18z's always suck then 0z is better than 12z which was great but after 0z 6z sucks. I don't know if hes right at all about that, as its weenieish, but I'm interested to see what new data has to say on our s/w and the jet stream wrt phasing and the lows intensification.

not sure.. models vary on it a bit at least. flurries/snow showers seem like a safe call for now. should feel wintry at least.

That's the precip I'm counting on, since Friday night looks like a repeat of Saturday and yesterday at best. Unfortunately, Euro shredded it over the Appalachians which is probably correct.

Ian/Randy...want to go to WV/MD this weekend?...they should be under a snow hose I think

Somebody should go out there this weekend. It's a really good setup for deep creek. Near perfect nw trajectory and some added lift from h5 energy. Lakes temps are like 100 degrees above normal too. There might be thunderstorms and tornados.

If it's worth anything, the srefs are wetter at 15z than they were at 9z, and some of the ind members look good. HPC also has slight risk of 4 inch plus just to my NW.

I don't know if anyone trusts the srefs. Sometimes it seems that people here trust the Euro along with the models that show the worst scenario.

If it's worth anything, the srefs are wetter at 15z than they were at 9z, and some of the ind members look good. HPC also has slight risk of 4 inch plus just to my NW.

I don't know if anyone trusts the srefs. Sometimes it seems that people here trust the Euro along with the models that show the worst scenario.

I trust the Euro because it's usually right

i might

Keep an eye in the oh valley saturday afternoon after the front passes. If the streamers are setting up nicely, there is going to be a period of really heavy snow and wind when the h5 energy rotates through on sunday. I'm half tempted myself. We'll see how it shakes out but it really looks like the potential is there for an exceptional setup for garrett. It won't be a prolonged event but there could be some excellent rates and alot of blowing around.

back on topic:

I really don't see how we get anything more than .25" of precip and that's prob a stretch. Unless I'm missing something, there is really no mechanism for the precip shield associated with the coastal system to spread up this far and thats the only way we'll get some good rates. The disorganized southern wave is all we can really hope to produce and producing more than a quarter inch of liquid seems like a serious longshot.

Just like with the vort yesterday, the precip won't be organized enough to help bl temps. If I lived up in northern md I would consider getting an inch or 2 at best to stick but I'll probably do as well as I did yesterday imby.

Keep an eye in the oh valley saturday afternoon after the front passes. If the streamers are setting up nicely, there is going to be a period of really heavy snow and wind when the h5 energy rotates through on sunday. I'm half tempted myself. We'll see how it shakes out but it really looks like the potential is there for an exceptional setup for garrett. It won't be a prolonged event but there could be some excellent rates and alot of blowing around.

back on topic:

I really don't see how we get anything more than .25" of precip and that's prob a stretch. Unless I'm missing something, there is really no mechanism for the precip shield associated with the coastal system to spread up this far and thats the only way we'll get some good rates. The disorganized southern wave is all we can really hope to produce and producing more than a quarter inch of liquid seems like a serious longshot.

Just like with the vort yesterday, the precip won't be organized enough to help bl temps. If I lived up in northern md I would consider getting an inch or 2 at best to stick but I'll probably do as well as I did yesterday imby.

That's why what the 12Z GFS depicted for Saturday evening is the best thing that's been on any model within 60 hours this winter- finally have cold surface temps with a burst of precip. That extent of precip has no support from other models though.

Archived