• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 2 - 4 Disco/Obs

NavarreDon

Oh boy.....My wife says no doubt about it I am a weather freak! Up @ 3:00 am to check on things. Weaverville obs. Temp. 16.7 Wind NW and still very gusty. Finally good Snow! Our best returns in the last hour. Everything is white now. Looks certain the kids will add a extra day to X-Mas break.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my biggest surprise in a long time! I had stopped following the radar after 11 or so cause I thought most of the precip was gone. So I'm watching football and all of a sudden I see flashes of white streaking past the window. Much to my surprise a +SN band had popped up seemingly out of nowhere. I mean it was really coming down for a good 5-10 minutes. I've got a solid white covering on the car and a dusting on the deck. The best part? Its my birthday!! Birthday snow :snowing::snowing::snowman:

Pics in a bit...

Happy birthday. I couldn't agree more with your sentiment!

(it's my birthday too)

Happy birthday, and snow is a good gift!

Lord at the wrecks....probably needed a winter weather advisory for the northern foothills. A special weather statement at 3:19am after the event does not serve a lot of purpose.

Nice pics. Thats neat so much snow made it over the ridges. This has been an impressive upslope event with good lift and 5H system rounding the bend so far south.

Current temp is 20 here, which is lower than I thought we'd get for a low.

Light snow here in Northern Forsyth County GA. Not much accumulation but it's nice to finally see some coming down.

Welcome SnowGator! You're not too far from me here in Dacula!

At least you had a dusting! A few flakes here was all I got.

I'm down to about 20 degrees at 6:17 this morning and still falling. I'm guessing I'll hit the teens before it starts heading back up. The highest upper level winds are over Georgia.

500mb_sf.gif?1325589612505

No sign of any flakes here overnight either. Low made it down to 21.4 just before 6 AM. It's amazing how many flakes broke containment, but there does seem to be an interesting relative minimum in Watauga county (Boone area). No school closings there even though all mountain systems around them are either closed or delayed. Since Watauga is directly NW of me, it makes sense why I never saw any flakes from this: There weren't many flakes to begin with on a good trajectory toward MBY. Interesting...

down to 21 last night. Was fun breaking water this morning for outside animals :)

Love the new King Street LIVE cam in Boone.

http://highcountrywe...StreetBoone.htm

VIA the CRONOS http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/map/

Current conditions at BEAR as of Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 @ 7:38 AM EST (18 mins ago) Temperature: 6.6 °F (-14.1 °C) Dew point: calculated at 3.7 °F (-15.7 °C) Relative humidity: 88% Wind: Northwest (321°) at 31 mph with gusts of 38 mph Pressure: 869.6 mb (25.68 inHg) station pressure

A cold 20 this morning. Even I had a few flurries last night. Lasted about 5 minutes and even came down at a respectable rate for a minute or two. If i had not been watching the radar I would have missed it though. Really unusual in these post frontal situations for me to get flurries due to downslope, as most know. . It's funny though we had a wind advisory yesterday yet the strongest winds, by far, were after sunset..when it had already expired I believe. Had a top gust of 35mph. Watkinsville had a top gust of 38mph. Given how cold it is this morning with winds still upwards of 10mph, have to believe upper teens will be realized tonight/tomorrow morning.

No sign of any flakes here overnight either. Low made it down to 21.4 just before 6 AM. It's amazing how many flakes broke containment, but there does seem to be an interesting relative minimum in Watauga county (Boone area). No school closings there even though all mountain systems around them are either closed or delayed. Since Watauga is directly NW of me, it makes sense why I never saw any flakes from this: There weren't many flakes to begin with on a good trajectory toward MBY. Interesting...

That's because students do not start back there until tomorrow. Wilkes starts back Thursday. There was accumulating snow from Boone straight down into North Wilkesboro.

That's because students do not start back there until tomorrow. Wilkes starts back Thursday. There was accumulating snow from Boone straight down into North Wilkesboro.

Aha! Thanks for the info. I was watching that King Street Cam and wondering how Watauga was not closed with conditions like that. I'll just thank Grandfather Mt. then for robbing me of all the moisture!

Just took a quick 4-wheeler trip around the property and averaged about 4 inches. One thing for sure is that it's brutally cold. Temps have come up to 8.8 after a low of 4. Wind chills are running between -5 to -10 on average. Still snowing lightly but it's that 30:1 type stuff.

Thought about going to shread Sugar up but think I'll wait until tomorrow. :snowing:

Archived