joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 2 - 4 Disco/Obs

NavarreDon

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You were extremely accurate Matt. I remember your map of the Triad.

Thanks, Robert! You were all over this thing....

For a lot of folks in the region, this is the coldest morning since Jan 23 last year.

Down to a chilly 13.9 IMBY here in Dahlonega. Coldest of the season.

Got down to 15.1 here...but starting about 5am, the wind started to pick up...as high as 10mph which I knew would screw me of course. The temp even rose to 18 and it's still going around 5 to 8mph. Made for a chilly windchill though.

Odd though that I can't find any surrounding sites with winds that high, in fact most have been mostly calm...though athens did have a 3 or 4 mph wind around 6am. Atlanta. as usual, had a 10-12mph wind but most of the time there is not much correlation between their winds and mine. Don't see any lee side trough in the surface analysis (which is normally the reason for increased winds) but there is a kink in the pressure field but mainly north of here and doesn't fit the definition (centered over the mountains), so kind of hard to explain. I have to believe if not for that, I probably would have dropped to 13 or 14.

Not bad though since wind were still blowing 10mph plus up until around midnight. Wonder what it would have been if winds had been calm all night. Plus there is little, if any, snow cover to the north...which to me makes these temps pretty impressive.

Archived