joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40's and partly cloudy right up to the Canadian boarder. You see that briefly in warm sectors of intense storms but not very often on a pleasant January day with light winds.

Was thinking about this earlier, in a normal winter this would be a thaw day before the Arctic hounds reestablished.

How much does lack of snowpack affect surface temps? 5 degrees sometimes?

Well it could affect it by a few degrees if it travels over a substantial snowless terrain. Snowpack stinks right now across the US and srn Canada. However, the sun angle is weak and I think it becomes more of an issue in March as the sun gets stronger. It was part of the reason why March 2010 was warm...no snow all the way into Quebec.

It seems like there should be snow cover now anywhere north of the St. Lawrence and also anywhere from about Ottawa west/southwest to around the northern part of the GTA...maybe Barrie area.... So most of Eastern Canada is white except those extreme southern fringes.

Well it could affect it by a few degrees if it travels over a substantial snowless terrain. Snowpack stinks right now across the US and srn Canada. However, the sun angle is weak and I think it becomes more of an issue in March as the sun gets stronger. It was part of the reason why March 2010 was warm...no snow all the way into Quebec.

Pete said earlier you could ice fish.... I wouldn't risk my life on any waterways around Upstate NY or into NE right now. Lakes near here aren't nearly frozen enough and partially open yet in places.

My parents said there is no snow otg in bridgton. The ponds are not frozen and the skiing at shawnee peak leaves a lot to be desired. Ground truth sucks.

Archived