amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidentally reading the main bb illustrates the pattern change which initially is focused west of us but we are far enough north to cash in to a degree on some of the cold highs. Gradient patterns are often very nice for us as long (as Scott alludes to) as the pna is not too low. Hopefully the EPO ridge can roll over to send highs further east into Canada.

It's funny how one or two winters where SNE had a good snowpack, makes people only think December and January are the winter months. How quickly we forget our Decembers where it rained on the coast...even into January.

I agree with you to a point, Scott. But I disagree with respect to the fact that run-of-the-mill (and even sub-par) ones normally have GC and certainly NNE with a steady pack from December on. That there's been nothing notetworthy across the entirety of the northeast is the cause of much of the discontent. So, while it may not be extraordinary for the population centers, the absence of snow outside those is indicative of something unusually bad.

I agree with you to a point, Scott. But I disagree with respect to the fact that run-of-the-mill (and even sub-par) onces normally have GC and certainly NNE with a steady pack from December on. That there's been nothing notetworthy across the entirety of the northeast is the cause of much of the discontent. So, while it may not be extraordinary for the population centers, the absence of snow outside those is indicative of something unusually bad.

Thats a great post, who cares about the CP, when Im up in the Berks way on up, and there are no snow piles, the lakes are not frozen over , no snow cover, its simply more than a throw back December.

It was beyond depressing up there

I agree with you to a point, Scott. But I disagree with respect to the fact that run-of-the-mill (and even sub-par) ones normally have GC and certainly NNE with a steady pack from December on. That there's been nothing notetworthy across the entirety of the northeast is the cause of much of the discontent. So, while it may not be extraordinary for the population centers, the absence of snow outside those is indicative of something unusually bad.

Well right, I wasn't talking about the distant interior. It's different out there. But, east of ORH..we don't have continuous snowpack in December. The winters in the 50s and even 60s had some snowy Decembers, but I think people have gotten too romantically involved with 25" Decembers. Next December could easily suck as well.

Well right, I wasn't talking about the distant interior. It's different out there. But, east of ORH..we don't have continuous snowpack in December. The winters in the 50s and even 60s had some snowy Decembers, but I think people have gotten too romantically involved with 25" Decembers. Next December could easily suck as well.

The first call for winter 2012-13 has been cast. Congratulations! Iol

I felt about a month ago that we were going to get a fast and hard pattern flip. My reason for this was the incoherance in the models...thinking that the change was coming and the models didn't know what to do. As it turns out we had bad models in a relatively stable pattern. It now looks like it will change but it is going to be the hard way....earning each step in a step down process. We are doing now what we should've been doing 4-6 weeks ago. YOu know if it changes and we get a good March, that would be just fine.

It's def not a call..just saying it could be below normal, although we may head into weak Nino (YAY!)...but that is getting ahead of ourselves.

Scott, gun to head, has this been the most boring winter weather period you can remember?

Using Einsteins theory of relativity, Huge run of the Euro today for potential storminess for the 1/9-12 period.

AWT ..the Berks don't have much. You should have gone further north ..like 250 miles. :)

Thats a great post, who cares about the CP, when Im up in the Berks way on up, and there are no snow piles, the lakes are not frozen over , no snow cover, its simply more than a throw back December.

It was beyond depressing up there

There were some incredibly boring times in the 1988 - 1992 time frame. This is not unprecedented.. It sux of course.

Scott, gun to head, has this been the most boring winter weather period you can remember?

Using Einsteins theory of relativity, Huge run of the Euro today for potential storminess for the 1/9-12 period.

It's been really bad. Not even a good Lakes Cutter. We had one last week, but that was it. I can't recall not even getting the ground whitened in December. That's bad. A lousy trace is all I've had since October 29th.

December 2001 I don't remember much of anything where I was in the HV. Then I left for FL just beforre Xmas, but I think it just got cold and dry and one storm hit the south with snowfall.

It's been really bad. Not even a good Lakes Cutter. We had one last week, but that was it. I can't recall not even getting the ground whitened in December. That's bad. A lousy trace is all I've had since October 29th.

I don't want to jinx things, but sadly every single storm that tries to phase this year ends up cutting... Not sure if that;s what you mean....

The ones that don't phase can't push the moisture far enough north into sufficient cold air for a decent gradient event.

That's what can happen with an AK vortex and raging +AO. There is not one thing that would try and force a low south.

I don't want to jinx things, but sadly every single storm that tries to phase this year ends up cutting... Not sure if that's what you mean....

The ones that don't phase can't push the moisture far enough north into sufficient cold air for a decent gradient event.

what's bizarre to me is that even the "phased" storms don't really have that much cold air on the backside, we saw that last week when snowfall totals busted low in s-central Canada...this winter is not even a feast/famine case (save the Rockies/4corners)...it's famine for all

Good luck, you will be missed....

Oh wow. Well sorry you have to leave, but I hope the job works out for you. You have a better shot of seeing snow there..lol.

You outa here? :sad: If so, good luck

Hopefully you'll be able to come back as quickly as possible!!

Wherever we go New England is always in our blood. I was in California for a late 1990s snowstorm and was in a hotel late at night and didn't have access to a computer...I couldn't call any friends or relatives for a weather update because it was too late at night...and as you all know the weather channel goes to tape in the middle of the night...so I called a local cab company to get a weather update.

You will be missed! Good luck! The SW is really nice especially New Mexico.

Best of luck, Diane. I hope you'll come visit the forum even if not the GTG's!

thanks guys...certainly going to miss SNE banter...i'll be hanging in the sw forum with the tumble weeds and talking to my echo...on a brighter note, i am moving to a place that is having a better winter! ;)

Archived