• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Been seeing the WAWA commercial touting man made, times are tough.

They've been through it before and somehow manage to survive (chuckle).

What has been killing them is the rain we have had. Ices things up brutally. They are good at snowmaking for a smaller place.

It is sad to ride the lifts and go down the trails with brown all around, but usually on the trails it is ok.

Fewer "ants" at least. Our school starts going Thursday (hence my free pass) and my son starts Friday. 2 guaranteed ski nights for me...

But this is a discussion for the ski thread. (shhhhh...mods everywhere)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice winter day..I was just having coffee down the street and could not believe how many people thought this was cold weather lol..Just a pleasant normal January day.

My prediction for today is a -5 or -6 departure, followed by -11 to -13 tomorrow (if all 4 climo sites get to at least -11 it'll be the first time since March 3rd), and +1-3 on Thursday. Not much of a cold snap, but feels much worse due to the wind and the fact that it doesn't like to get cold anymore.

Out of curiosity, anyone have some stats on below zero temps without snow cover? As in how often has it happened at certain sites

The coldest temp that I have with a T or less of snow is -6°F on 29Dec1993. That also happened on 19Jan1997 with no snow on the ground. All in all zero or below has happened 17 times since I began record keeping in 1985 with no snow on the ground.

18/6 here now...temps falling off nicely. Already some single digits above 2000' in SVT.

In January or February 1994 I recall an overunning event where it started to snow at -10F! This was a case of tremendous warm advection and inversion because later that day we had a situation where it was in the single digits and snowing where I lived in Saugerties, NY, while 45 miles south in KSWF it was FZRA and 10F.

9F here now ...held at 12F here since mid morning....

The coldest temp that I have with a T or less of snow is -6°F on 29Dec1993. That also happened on 19Jan1997 with no snow on the ground. All in all zero or below has happened 17 times since I began record keeping in 1985 with no snow on the ground.

18/6 here now...temps falling off nicely. Already some single digits above 2000' in SVT.

Archived