joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2012 - Obs/Disco/Banter

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations--I gues we'll all be road-tripping to VT!!!

Happy 2012 everyone.

A not-so-New-Year's 34.1/33

I think you, Mitch, and Pete will be pleasantly surprised out of this. Classic long-streamer bands off the Lakes will push into the Greens/Berks/Taconics and I bet you all see a few fluffy inches. One of those set-ups where the band or squall moves in, drops 3" in 2 hours, then skies go clear again.

BTV WRF has a bullseye just north of you in the Bennington/Windham County upslope area, but if the lake band heads down the Mohawk Valley of NY then upslopes east of Albany, all three of you have a shot of several inches of fluff.

Its not going to take much QPF with this low/mid level cold air right smack in the good dendrite growth zone for upslope, so you Berkshires guys may be nicely surprised.

This will work as a good way to start the New Year.

Snow showers and periods of heavy snow squalls. BTV has 2-4" in the grids for tonight into tomorrow morning for starters, then we'll see what Monday/Monday Night/Tuesday brings.

Highs in the upper 30s today then the bottom drops out. Snow pack has taken a hit in the past 36 hours, down to 4.5-5.0" but this cold snap should refresh that.

This would work... Lake Ontario band and upslope enhancement means that X marks the spot. This is a total weenie solution for here, lol.

This is just a 12-hour total... lol the 48 hour total is like 1-1.5" of QPF in this area of the Greens.

Mods, anyone want to move this post to NNE thread? I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing this morning... it fits better in that thread or the arctic thread instead of the New Year's banter.

I think you, Mitch, and Pete will be pleasantly surprised out of this. Classic long-streamer bands off the Lakes will push into the Greens/Berks/Taconics and I bet you all see a few fluffy inches. One of those set-ups where the band or squall moves in, drops 3" in 2 hours, then skies go clear again.

BTV WRF has a bullseye just north of you in the Bennington/Windham County upslope area, but if the lake band heads down the Mohawk Valley of NY then upslopes east of Albany, all three of you have a shot of several inches of fluff.

Its not going to take much QPF with this low/mid level cold air right smack in the good dendrite growth zone for upslope, so you Berkshires guys may be nicely surprised.

If I were at MP3, I'd feel pretty good. Here, I expect I'll have a nice view of it falling just beyond the mood flakes I pick up here--maybe a dusting.

Mods, anyone want to move this post to NNE thread? I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing this morning... it fits better in that thread or the arctic thread instead of the New Year's banter.

I think this is fine here, since it's in the banter thread.

Meanwhile, here's a New Year's sunrise at the Pit with valley fog. Wish it was a hilly snow instead. :)

If I were at MP3, I'd feel pretty good. Here, I expect I'll have a nice view of it falling just beyond the mood flakes I pick up here--maybe a dusting.

I think this is fine here, since it's in the banter thread.

Meanwhile, here's a New Year's sunrise at the Pit with valley fog. Wish it was a hilly snow instead. :)

Beautiful dude! Its so foggy here I can't see my hand if I put it in front of my face. Definitely one of the lowest vis mornings on the mountain in a long time. Pacific NW pea soup. 31F with freezing mist, drizzle, and fog. Work trucks are frozen solid, lol.

Beautiful dude! Its so foggy here I can't see my hand if I put it in front of my face. Definitely one of the lowest vis mornings on the mountain in a long time. Pacific NW pea soup. 31F with freezing mist, drizzle, and fog. Work trucks are frozen solid, lol.

Happy NewYearScott!!! Yeah, I'm psyched for a little upslope action. It's easy for us to nab a few inches in these set-ups. Looking forward to the cold air as well. I prefer to work in air that's 0-10. My favorite operating temp. My friend and I will be heading up your way this week now that the holiday crowds are going to be gone (for the most part) Hoping we all get tagged by significant snow. We'll probably be at MRG but perhaps we'll come for a visit. Especially if Mansfield picks up more white smoke.

That was autumn

When are you going to AK? Things will kick in here around Jan 15 I think

Sometime in February. Waiting for the light to get better up there. 67" OTG at the ranch. -25 to -40 at night and the nights are really long.I have no fear about the snow coming. I've skied nearly everyday in the last 2 weeks at various areas. While it hasn't been bottomless powder it's been good and I need to be in top shape for AK. Fit or die.

This is by far the worst piece of crap wx ever and the biggest most stupidest horrific POS pattern...EVER. It's just boring...boring....boring...boring BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very little excitement at all. Had a few systems with rain and wind...oh the wind...SCREW THE WIND...especially in the winter...like the other day...it was so windy. It sucks walking to work in that crap...hood blowing off my head, having trouble walking, almost getting blown over.

It's pathetic when this Arctic cold is the only "fun" and I HATE THE COLD. Nothing exciting with this either though...just cold and dry...COLD AND DRY. No major snow threats either through the first 10 days of the month and perhaps longer.

WTF?

She sounds just like you at ~ 1:27

That was autumn

When are you going to AK? Things will kick in here around Jan 15 I think

No--it will be January 20th. That's when I have my annual and dreaded work trip to the tropics. I'd much rather they just give us a travel voucher to do what we want. Instead, it's a whole group of us together. This year, Cost Rica. If they'd give a voucher, I'd go to Jackson or something. Actually, I'd rather stay home.

Wow. I have to say I am a bit envious. Work paying for a trip.

But yeah, Wyoming would be better

Was hoping for a snowy game vs Miami but oh well

It's going to be a real tough shot for the Patriots to lose to the Bills just before their toughest stretch of the season starts.

Wow. I have to say I am a bit envious. Work paying for a trip.

But yeah, Wyoming would be better

Was hoping for a snowy game vs Miami but oh well

You know, if I were still in my 20's, I'd think it was awesome. But, at this point in my life, it's not what I want to do. Plus, all summer long I wish for winter. So, in the heart of winter, I have to head to the tropics? A bit of irony there. But, it's one of these things that I need to do.

So--lock it in. During the frame of Jan 19-23, there will be a storm of epic proportions.

Down here in Northampton getting new tires put on the car. NYD sale FTW.lol Foggy and in the 30's. It's weird. You know Ullr will set things right soon. You can just feel the pressure building. It's going to be awesome.

I hope so. I'd kill to have a 6-12" snowfall right now. I'm just enjoying what's dealt to me.

I hope so. I'd kill to have a 6-12" snowfall right now. I'm just enjoying what's dealt to me.

I don't get the "oh well, this Winter sucks" mentality. There's plenty of skiing, ice is thick enough now to fish on. As weird as it is to have so little snow I'm taking advantage by pressing ahead on some outdoor projects that would be difficult with 3 feet OTG. The weather window will slam shut mark my words. I can't wait to dredge up the WOTY's ridiculous no snow this Winter posts. So good.

That's a Lake Erie band that it actually shows over me and and extending east to southern VT. I don't hold my breath expecting much from distant Lake Erie, but any snow is welcome.

LEK was pointing out yesterday (and I hadn't really thought of it) ...that the Ontario bands that get me sometimes and then continue ESE to upslope into Pete actually traverse Oneida Lake also and that probably adds a bit to them and the moisture source isn't quite as far removed then.

It's not real clear we get any great Mohawk Valley flow this week, but this stuff is hard to predict so hope for the best.

I don't get the "oh well, this Winter sucks" mentality. There's plenty of skiing, ice is thick enough now to fish on. As weird as it is to have so little snow I'm taking advantage by pressing ahead on some outdoor projects that would be difficult with 3 feet OTG. The weather window will slam shut mark my words. I can't wait to dredge up the WOTY's ridiculous no snow this Winter posts. So good.

This winter sucks for snow and cold lovers but today is a gorgeous mild day. Heres a shot from my morning jaunt in the woods with the dog. Looking accross the little river at the houses reflecting in the calm water. It may not be wintry but its nice. Happy New Year.

18dad8de-85f9-1e63.jpg

This winter sucks for snow and cold lovers but today is a gorgeous mild day. Heres a shot from my morning jaunt in the woods with the dog. Looking accross the little river at the houses reflecting in the calm water. It may not be wintry but its nice. Happy New Year.

18dad8de-85f9-1e63.jpg

Enjoying today as well! Great walk this morning, the warm sun feels good..going to do a long walk with the dog at the farm today...you just have to enjoy what you have. It will snow. If it doesn't, I think you should take the fam and head up to northern VT or NH. There is a great resort in Whitefield NH that is super for adults and kids. Haven't been there but I bet Stowe village is awesome too. Even better, take your wife for a romantic weekend in Quebec City. It is a snowy city and very very romantic. Your inner and outer weenies will be satisfied.

Happy NewYearScott!!! Yeah, I'm psyched for a little upslope action. It's easy for us to nab a few inches in these set-ups. Looking forward to the cold air as well. I prefer to work in air that's 0-10. My favorite operating temp. My friend and I will be heading up your way this week now that the holiday crowds are going to be gone (for the most part) Hoping we all get tagged by significant snow. We'll probably be at MRG but perhaps we'll come for a visit. Especially if Mansfield picks up more white smoke.

Will you give me a ride? :)

Archived