• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

Seems we either cashed in real good like like 2000, 2007, 2008 where we had 115" total or they were pretty bleak.. 2006 had that 10" storm on the first and then under an inch total until mid Jan.

I think we're SOL for a while this month.. I wouldn't waste too much of your time the next two weeks hoping for a miracle.. Lets just hope we can get something for around the holiday and not a grinch storm and hopefully by then the lake has cooled down enough to not have to stress to much about that.

I've been following the LRC, and based on that, the Great Lakes could be in for a nice Christmas surprise. Still, unlike many, Christmas is not the foremost time I would want or even expect a winter storm. Then again, it does seem we have had very few Christmas storms of consequence, so you would think the law of averages might catch up soon. Speaking of law of averages, unfortunately the three epic Decembers mentioned above is good reason to think this early December disappointment could be law of averages as well.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They haven't been bad south of that area either. Here in LAF, last December was a top 5 snowiest (3rd snowiest for IND)...as was 2007. Really the only the one of the last four that has sucked was 2008, which was mixed event-palooza down here.

I think some of the snow-makers you get don't necessarily go through this area first, but sometimes Clippers do. I know you get more mixed events down there. I think this area averages 3 a winter, and it's usually sleet, not much freezing rain of consequence. Who didn't get snow in 2007! lol

Seems we either cashed in real good like like 2000, 2007, 2008 where we had 115" total or they were pretty bleak.. 2006 had that 10" storm on the first and then under an inch total until mid Jan.

I think we're SOL for a while this month.. I wouldn't waste too much of your time the next two weeks hoping for a miracle.. Lets just hope we can get something for around the holiday and not a grinch storm and hopefully by then the lake has cooled down enough to not have to stress to much about that.

Do you think MU can pull it out tomorrow? I have a bet on this game, that MU will keep it within 10 (guy I bet originally said they wouldn't keep it within 20 :stun: ).

On the lake temperatures causing problems in snowfalls - I think the next two weeks it will be a factor for any strong storm moving by. Sometimes if the air mass is cold enough, then the potential of a mix is greatly minimized. I saved some water temperature data from 2009 and on 11/28 the southern 1/4 of Lake Michigan was between 45°-48°F. 12/4 it was down to 40°-45°. Then on 12/16 there was even some ice along the shore with up to 42° out in the middle of the lake. The cold weather next week should knock off some degrees overall on the lakes.

Ha!, Just remembered from December of 2000, there was literally icebergs on the lake from all the cold and snow!

These squirrels have my entire winter thoughts riding on their fat asses.....

I have yet to see squirrels with very raggedy, thin tails and if it produces a mild or light snow season. I started really paying attention to the squirrels in the fall of 2007 when, after a pretty uneventful winter in 06-07, I was very anxious and pining for a snowy winter with the coming of La Nina. 4 winters later, its been nothing but a group of fat tails every fall and in just those 4 winters combined (1 average, 3 way above average), DTW has accumulated 80 inches more than an average 4 years would bring. So far, so good! :)

Do you think MU can pull it out tomorrow? I have a bet on this game, that MU will keep it within 10 (guy I bet originally said they wouldn't keep it within 20 :stun: ).

I think they can - but betting this one completely objectively, I take the Badgers and give the 7.5 line but I'd never bet the game.

Friendly bet between Rivals I'd feel very comfy betting with my heart and 10 points.

Gonna have to cut the grass one more time. Just can't get it to go fully dormant yet and its been 3 weeks since last cutting.

Boy, neither the Euro nor GFS is showing anything at all around here through the end of their range... mostly just cold and dry.

Yeah, looks pretty quiet for our immediate areas. Nice snow event to the northwest tomorrow, and probably another decent one southeast Monday night/Tuesday. There were some signs of something next weekend on the GFS the last few days, but it looks like that is less likely now. Hopefully something pops up in the models over the next week or so.

Any suggestions for a makeshift snowboard so I don't have to go over to Home Depot?

Like would a plastic lid to a bin be better than measuring in the grass?

Since all the upperclassmen are involved with the balloon launch program with MIT, nobody actually takes an official Valpo snow measurement I've been told.

Any suggestions for a makeshift snowboard so I don't have to go over to Home Depot?

Since all the upperclassmen are involved with the balloon launch program with MIT, nobody actually takes an official Valpo snow measurement I've been told.

Honestly a quick stop at Home Depot for a piece of plywood and some white paint would be worth the effort. I mean if it's impossible then I suppose a white lid to a bin might work but those tend to be light and flimsy.

GEFS really unleash the cold beyond 144. Assuming the wavy front fails to produce, should be a decent LES outbreak next weekend, of which I'll pick up the scraps. Hopefully.

The cold gets unleashed in Wisconsin by Monday, and yeah holy crap at one week from now (-23 °C 850s).

The only saving grace is we're not getting snow with this system, so temps will be warmer than they could've been.

Lord, this week I find out if I'm moving to SEMI. Haven't really paid much attention to weather down there, but from what I gather, expect many busts? ;-)

No, expect lots of unnecessary complaining :lol:. Naturally you will see good and bad busts, but no more or less than any particular region.

How far is waterloo into Canada (ie how close to SE MI)? Weather itself is probably very similar, per looking at the snow totals in your sig. I will put the DTW totals in ( ). Take 03-04 and 04-05 with a grain of salt, seemed very lowballed at DTW in those years.

11/12...0.6" (0.8" dtw).......05/06...51.8" (36.3" dtw)

10/11...69.7" (69.1" dtw).....04/05...64.8" (63.8" dtw)

09/10...21.3" (43.7" dtw).....03/04...61.8" (24.1" dtw)

08/09...54.7" (65.7" dtw).....02/03...53.7" (60.9" dtw)

07/08...101.4" (71.7" dtw)...01/02...51.6" (33.7" dtw)

06/07...41.1" (30.3" dtw).....00/01...22.4" (39.0" dtw)

No, expect lots of unnecessary complaining :lol:. Naturally you will see good and bad busts, but no more or less than any particular region.

How far is waterloo into Canada (ie how close to SE MI)? Weather itself is probably very similar, per looking at the snow totals in your sig. I will put the DTW totals in ( ). Take 03-04 and 04-05 with a grain of salt, seemed very lowballed at DTW in those years.

11/12...0.6" (0.8" dtw).......05/06...51.8" (36.3" dtw)

10/11...69.7" (69.1" dtw).....04/05...64.8" (63.8" dtw)

09/10...21.3" (43.7" dtw).....03/04...61.8" (24.1" dtw)

08/09...54.7" (65.7" dtw).....02/03...53.7" (60.9" dtw)

07/08...101.4" (71.7" dtw)...01/02...51.6" (33.7" dtw)

06/07...41.1" (30.3" dtw).....00/01...22.4" (39.0" dtw)

Waterloo's roughly half way between Toronto and London (maybe a touch closer to Toronto?). It's in the fringes of the Lk Huron snowbelt. They can occasionally get some decent LES episodes. The fact that DTW has come close or exceeded Waterloo's snowfall totals the last three winters is a testament to how well you guys are running.

I question that 2000-01 seasonal total for Waterloo. Seems way too low. I had 53" here that winter.

Waterloo's roughly half way between Toronto and London (maybe a touch closer to Toronto?). It's in the fringes of the Lk Huron snowbelt. They can occasionally get some decent LES episodes. The fact that DTW has come close or exceeded Waterloo's snowfall totals the last three winters is a testament to how well you guys are running.

I question that 2000-01 seasonal total for Waterloo. Seems way too low. I had 53" here that winter.

2000-01 was pretty sick Winter, I got like 187cm or 73.6" that year :)

Pearson continues to be a under player, sadly. LOL. I dont trust there snowfall totals esp during that March 08 Blizzard.

Often times I usually get decent LES depending on the Wind given I'm in Vaughan right.

Yeah the plywood mentioned is the best. My snow board is a shade of white and about 2 ft x 2ft. Plastic could work, but snow sticks to wood better. Then place it in an area that doesn't favor drifting.

Uptown Waterloo is 130 miles northeast of Downtown Detroit. Hey, those totals look pretty decent. I was imagining about 20-30". It's just been a while since a 10" snowstorm in Detroit hasn't it. But, I'm sure it's probably been a long while since one here, too. Maybe Mike could answer that one.

We've had a handful of amazing LES bands. Only the odd minor one in the last two-three years. Would almost rather live in London hoping for six feet of snow in a week :weenie: .

I question it, too. Got the info off the university weather station summaries. Just tried to get back on the archives, but the site is having technical difficulties. Do you know of any other sources for local snow totals?

Edit: Here is the summary, just looked again and 22.8"... not 22.4" lol http://weather.uwate...r_2000_2001.csv

on-wx, looks like we just cant get out of the same region. I have been debating about applying to grad school in SE MI.

Are you kidding me? That's hilarious. You should do it, that way I'll know someone in the neighbourhood :thumbsup:

2000-01 was pretty sick Winter, I got like 187cm or 73.6" that year :)

Pearson continues to be a under player, sadly. LOL. I dont trust there snowfall totals esp during that March 08 Blizzard.

Often times I usually get decent LES depending on the Wind given I'm in Vaughan right.

2000-01 consisted of a great December and a couple of fluke storms in early 2001 that saved it from being a complete disaster of a second half. We were really lucky in 2000-01. For a lot of people in the GLs, the second half of that winter was like the second half of 2005-06.

Archived