• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

they've started off pretty slow and it's early so i don't see how you can make that call

Well, everyone's started out slow relatively speaking (except the areas of Indiana and Michigan that were hit hard yesterday), but N and C Wisconsin already have had two significant snowstorms (though more localized) and are likely looking at a third, and it will only be early December. With the struggle of the cold to take hold, I think there's a good chance of this at least being an Upper Midwest December.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, everyone's started out slow relatively speaking (except the areas of Indiana and Michigan that were hit hard yesterday), but N and C Wisconsin already have had two significant snowstorms (though more localized) and are likely looking at a third, and it will only be early December. With the struggle of the cold to take hold, I think there's a good chance of this at least being an Upper Midwest December.

we hardly get any snowfall in November anyways, I think we average around 2" here so what did you expect? I'm perfectly fine waiting till mid December for things to get active.

we hardly get any snowfall in November anyways, I think we average around 2" here so what did you expect? I'm perfectly fine waiting till mid December for things to get active.

You might not get much but farther up north its very slow, Have had 2" and supposed to have 15" by now. Just depends where you are

We average nearly 4 inches, and technically will have 0.1 for the month. Unless this coming storm trends SE we will likely have 0.4 or 0.5 through the first 8-10 days of December for the year. I'd call that a slow start.

12z GFS really has the SE ridge in the long range with a serious trof and even more serious baroclinic zone, 10 days out but wow at that gradient from the TX PH to southwest KS. Also, look at the amount of crazy cold air in the central/northern plains.

That's a loaded gun if i've ever seen one, hard to sustain this boring pattern if that happens.

12z GFS really has the SE ridge in the long range with a serious trof and even more serious baroclinic zone, 10 days out but wow at that gradient from the TX PH to southwest KS. Also, look at the amount of crazy cold air in the central/northern plains.

Looks a bit toasty. :lol:

There's some potential on that map, not here but those farther west. Alas, better to wait and watch I suppose.

That's a loaded gun if i've ever seen one, hard to sustain this boring pattern if that happens.

Boring is relative. But yes, hopefully the pattern starts producing wintry threats on the whole...even if I have to miss out. I've got a little money in the bank, so I'm good for a little while.

Dec is going suck tit AIT.. Rather be sleep deprived watching stupid star trek marathons over and over than waste time trying to find a model run 4 times a day that actually shows MKE having a chance.. Short break away was great - now wake me up around dec 20th to track any prospects of a white Christmas storm. I'm sure by then we'll conveniently be back to a torch pattern and the only white to be seen is daddylongwhitelegs drying his skidder stained tighty whities out back on the line for the last time before Santa brings him his annual 18 pack for Christmas. That Meteorologist and Climate Scientist in Saukville will finally have his evil wish come true and will be making snow so he can finally be the only one with a white Christmas in his hood.

Back to reality December this yr I'm afraid will come true and I'm cool with that (but i still don't have to like it and wont) as we've all been pretty spoiled of late.

Thankful I got to see my biggest storm of this winter while hunting and very happy for those yesterday that got a great in their back yard appetizer winter event in Nov. to hold them over until god only knows when. Time for the upper plains and NW midwest to get their white gold while we wait patiently for the trickle down.

Thankfully no bridges around and hopefully this will be make some great bumpage material at the end of the month.

Dec is going suck tit AIT.. Rather be sleep deprived watching stupid star trek marathons over and over than waste time trying to find a model run 4 times a day that actually shows MKE having a chance.. Short break away was great - now wake me up around dec 20th to track any prospects of a white Christmas storm. I'm sure by then we'll conveniently be back to a torch pattern and the only white to be seen is daddylongwhitelegs drying his skidder stained tighty whities out back on the line for the last time before Santa brings him his annual 18 pack for Christmas. That Meteorologist and Climate Scientist in Saukville will finally have his evil wish come true and will be making snow so he can finally be the only one with a white Christmas in his hood.

Back to reality December this yr I'm afraid will come true and I'm cool with that (but i still don't have to like it and wont) as we've all been pretty spoiled of late.

Thankful I got to see my biggest storm of this winter while hunting and very happy for those yesterday that got a great in their back yard appetizer winter event in Nov. to hold them over until god only knows when. Time for the upper plains and NW midwest to get their white gold while we wait patiently for the trickle down.

Thankfully no bridges around and hopefully this will be make some great bumpage material at the end of the month.

Yeah, this boring streak has taught me how to be excited for the small things, such as the dusting that is likely tomorrow.

Yeah, this boring streak has taught me how to be excited for the small things, such as the dusting that is likely tomorrow.

Grass is green still so its not too depressingly brown looking outside. At least the temps temporally will be more towards the normal side and even slightly below at times so hopefully we can at least start cooling the lake down and chicago can layoff the lifeguards. Andddddddd instead of a warm rain like the last event we'll be back in our normal 30's and rain.. Picked the wrong time of the yr to finally agree with wife and try and get her prego. Hope my fish can swim good because I dunno how long I can go off the sauce and green this winter.

Grass is green still so its not too depressingly brown looking outside. At least the temps temporally will be more towards the normal side and even slightly below at times so hopefully we can at least start cooling the lake down and chicago can layoff the lifeguards. Andddddddd instead of a warm rain like the last event we'll be back in our normal 30's and rain.. Picked the wrong time of the yr to finally agree with wife and try and get her prego. Hope my fish can swim good because I dunno how long I can go off the sauce and green this winter.

Yes, that's the solace I take from this late start.

12z Euro is trying to run something up along the front on the 6-7th...doesn't quite make it. Some light stuff though.

EDIT: I guess it does indeed develop, but farther east later on the East Coast. Maybe one to watch.

Def one to watch, i think we're going to see a trend for that first piece to come off earlier and further west, so what evers left is going to have some time to spin up.

Better come quick...I'm jetting back to the Mid-Atlantic on the 15th.

Per the GFS the 850 line seems to be settled on the Janesville to Sheboygan line, at least for the weekend storm.

Better come quick...I'm jetting back to the Mid-Atlantic on the 15th.

Per the GFS the 850 line seems to be settled on the Janesville to Sheboygan line, at least for the weekend storm.

The good thing is beyond that the 850 line should settle south, and there still might be occasional threats for snow. At least it is worth it to keep an eye on the second storm the EC tries to spawn early to mid week next week.

Is there ever a good time?

Happy fathers day.

Yeah and if those 2M temps come to fruition, the OV/GL Ji's will really be screaming winter cancel.

12z Euro is trying to run something up along the front on the 6-7th...doesn't quite make it. Some light stuff though.

EDIT: I guess it does indeed develop, but farther east later on the East Coast. Maybe one to watch.

Yeah... second time it's done something like that... although I'm suspicious that so much energy behind. Even with a positive tilt trough, I'd think most of the energy would go in the initial wave. But then again, the last time I thought something like that, yesterday happened.

Yeah and if those 2M temps come to fruition, the OV/GL Ji's will really be screaming winter cancel.

Ensembles and the ECMWF show no support. GFS has been having its own issues lately. Most of that was due to the cutoff (which gave it one of the worst D5/D6 H5 scores I've ever seen from it).

When more than 2 or 3 GEFS members are on board, I'd buy a warmer solution.

But honestly, I'd take warmer temperatures now while there isn't a snowpack... just boring/cold for the next few days.

SEMI may sneak out 1-2" from a clipper Tomorrow night into Friday

The Milwaukee weather office is saying up to an inch for southeastern Wisconsin from this front/clipper ~ with maybe a little lake effect overnight brushing the lakeshore counties.

For those of you who didn't know it (like me), if you have GR2AE you can get dual-pol radar data now from the sites that were updated. Just go here and download the dual-pol add on. Seems to be working on mine now.

http://www.grlevelx....php?f=18&t=3910

Yes, but only as a 21 day free trial...Afterwards it's still $125.

MKX weather story...

Light snow is likely behind a cold front Thursday. High temperatures will top out in the upper 30s to low 40s...falling behind the cold front as the snow moves in. The snow will move into the northwest in the early afternoon...reaching Madison to Milwaukee and southward from the late afternoon and into the evening. The snow may mix with rain near Lake Michigan. Overall...accumulations will be very light...generally one half inch or less.

Archived