• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

As for this morning snow here, ugh. It was snowing huge flakes very nicely and steadily. Yet despite this just a slushy wet film of 0.1" manages to stick. And looks like qpf overachieved too. Funny two days ago the snow had NO problem sticking as soon as it started, and right on the heels of 2.75" of rain. But after a night of temps in the mid-30s and tons of dry air to be overcome, when it starts to snow its so wet it barely sticks.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a nice 2" surprise when I stepped out this morning (elevated surf's). just a bit survived on the warm concrete. But, my first "snow-on-snow" event of the season on 2-Dec after all the warmth portends well in my book for this winter season. :santa:

Wow you guys are off to a FAST start this season. I would have banked on you beating SE MI this year (last year was on of the rare years when SE MI outsnowed SW MI)...but you guys are well ahead of most of northern MI as well.

Maybe this does bode well in the long run (we never do well on the first few events of the season imby)....as in recent years its like mother nature turned the Michigan snowglobe upside down, the north has been stacking up the deficits while the south has been piling up a surplus.

Snow accumulated pretty well here (melting quickly at 11am in picture). Even started sticking on the concrete at the end. 0.7" officially. Several locations in Lake and McHenry Counties reported

between 0.5-0.8".

Next wave looks interesting!

390993_2737564445224_1440765701_2938295_355249789_n.jpg

Snow accumulated pretty well here (melting quickly at 11am in picture). Even started sticking on the concrete at the end. 0.7" officially. Several locations in Lake and McHenry Counties reported

between 0.5-0.8".

League should make the Bears play their home games on that nice looking backyard.

Nothing on the radar for at least another week+ and then we'll probably be looking at a torch around mid-month.. hopefully that's gets out of the way just in time for maybe something to finally get a festive look outside. Looking like a 3rd in a row dead ratter dec for MKE IMO.

Dead ratter has become inculcated into the bb vernacular. As the man who started it, let me explain it's origins.

In the mid and late 1960s when I was in college, there was a guy named Joe living in the dorms where I was. He often used the expression "that blows dead rats" for something that was distasteful. I started using it on the boards many years ago but more recently started referring to patterns as dead ratters. Others picked it up and the rest is history.

Dead ratter has become inculcated into the bb vernacular.  As the man who started it, let me explain it's origins.

In the mid and late 1960s when I was in college, there was a guy named Joe living in the dorms where I was.  He often used the expression "that blows dead rats" for something that was distasteful.  I started using it on the boards many years ago but more recently started referring to patterns as dead ratters.  Others picked it up and the rest is history.

I'm sure you're going to take credit for "sleet is like having a hot sister" next :rolleyes::P;)

Dead ratter has become inculcated into the bb vernacular. As the man who started it, let me explain it's origins.

In the mid and late 1960s when I was in college, there was a guy named Joe living in the dorms where I was. He often used the expression "that blows dead rats" for something that was distasteful. I started using it on the boards many years ago but more recently started referring to patterns as dead ratters. Others picked it up and the rest is history.

Cool story and I Picked it up from you guys over in SNE lol.. Happy Belated Birthday to you sir. I hope you had a wonderful day and here's to many many more on the board :drunk:

Probably right. I don't have the numbers in front of me but we're probably running a surplus for the next 2+ weeks even without another flake.

If we use the WL COOP numbers we'd be good to go through the 19th. :lol:

I have just a few issues with the snowfall numbers there though...I think the season average is 18" now. :axe:

Saw a squirrel the other day with the fattest tail Ive ever seen! Long live winter :)

between 0.5-0.8".

This looks like where my wife's grandparents lived in Glencoe during their days on this side of the divide of life.

The last three Decembers have produced big time, especially from Chicago north about 60 miles. 2008-2009: 34.1", 2009-2010: 18.8", 2010-2011: 22.7" recorded here. Storms that blew through here during the last three December's seem to have favored the border region of WI/IL and then the central part of Michigan. I've noticed Milwaukee has missed out on some good storms early in the season. Hopefully this December's snowfall amounts will be generous and more spread out.

Cool story and I Picked it up from you guys over in SNE lol.. Happy Belated Birthday to you sir. I hope you had a wonderful day and here's to many many more on the board

Thank you! I went downtown today and got my senior T pass. I'm old...

It was a great day to be thankful for being on this side...

The last three Decembers have produced big time, especially from Chicago north about 60 miles. 2008-2009: 34.1", 2009-2010: 18.8", 2010-2011: 22.7" recorded here. Storms that blew through here during the last three December's seem to have favored the border region of WI/IL and then the central part of Michigan. I've noticed Milwaukee has missed out on some good storms early in the season. Hopefully this December's snowfall amounts will be generous and more spread out.

07-08 and 08-09 we really cashed in during December in Milwaukee. Last two years: naso much. Last February made up for it, though. Of course, we're probably due for a crappy February, so I hope we get enough snow in December and January that we don't have to worry about making up a big deficit to get around normal for the season.

These squirrels have my entire winter thoughts riding on their fat asses.....

Haha! There's fat squirrels here on the west side of Lake Michigan. I actually saw some out in the snow this morning. I've heard another indicator of a harsh winter is when the acorns and black walnuts are in abundance. True for this autumn. That might explain the fat squirrels then!

They haven't been bad south of that area either. Here in LAF, last December was a top 5 snowiest (3rd snowiest for IND)...as was 2007. Really the only the one of the last four that has sucked was 2008, which was mixed event-palooza down here.

Haha! There's fat squirrels here to on this side of the lake. I actually saw some out in the snow this morning. I've heard another indicator of a harsh winter is when the acorns and black walnuts are in abundance. True for the autumn. That might explain the fat squirrels then!

Interesting on the acorns. We've had very few this year yet the squirrels are tubby. Last year had a huge acorn drop. Who know?

07-08 and 08-09 we really cashed in during December in Milwaukee. Last two years: naso much. Last February made up for it, though. Of course, we're probably due for a crappy February, so I hope we get enough snow in December and January that we don't have to worry about making up a big deficit to get around normal for the season.

Seems we either cashed in real good like like 2000, 2007, 2008 where we had 115" total or they were pretty bleak.. 2006 had that 10" storm on the first and then under an inch total until mid Jan.

I think we're SOL for a while this month.. I wouldn't waste too much of your time the next two weeks hoping for a miracle.. Lets just hope we can get something for around the holiday and not a grinch storm and hopefully by then the lake has cooled down enough to not have to stress to much about that.

Archived