amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some decent light snow as the narrow band was moving through, but it barely managed to put a bit of white on some of the grass. I still have only received a trace of snow this season.

I have seen snow fall from the sky this year, but not one flake of accumulation. Tonight is like a microcosm of this year post-GHD blizzard. All I wanted was a dusting, and the rain will end before it has a chance to change to snow (end rant).

Something you don't see very often. Lake effect snow being produced off of Lake Winnebago in eastern Wisconsin.

0.2" of snow has accumulated on non-concrete surfaces, but has on my truck! ha!

You're up in the Fox River Valley right now? It's possible we're seeing some lake effect now, b/c it looked like the band was pushing out, but some banding is continuing, almost pushing west based on radar, and it did just turn to snow.

Kinda interesting stuff on the DTX radar right now. On the lowest tilt you can see the returns off to the west struggling to advance into SEMI. However, look on the high tilts and you can see returns making it eventually all the way east of the radar.

You're up in the Fox River Valley right now? It's possible we're seeing some lake effect now, b/c it looked like the band was pushing out, but some banding is continuing, almost pushing west based on radar, and it did just turn to snow.

No, I was just reading about it from MKX's latest short term forecast discussion. The fetch must be just right tonight for it to occur.

"A LAKE-EFFECT PRECIPITATION BAND OFF OF LAKE WINNEBAGO WILL PRODUCE A NARROW BAND OF LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS...MIXED AT TIMES WITH LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS...IN A NARROW CORRIDOR FROM THE CITY OF FOND DU LAC SOUTH INTO EASTERN DODGE COUNTY AROUND THERESA AND MAYVILLE. THE LAKE-EFFECT BAND IS EXPECTED TO DISSIPATE BETWEEN 2 AM AND 3 AM AS WINDS LIGHTEN AND BECOME MORE NORTHWEST. "

-SN here with a better band coming in from SQI-RFD

Pretty cool on the dual-pol zdr you can see some rain mixing in on the leading edge northwest of LOT. Makes sense since we had a little rain mixed with the wet snow at the beginning.

Note the reflectivity jumps to between 5-7DB along the leading edge.

post-613-0-40855100-1322803714.png

Neat stuff. Is that the differential reflectivity?

Pretty cool on the dual-pol zdr you can see some rain mixing in on the leading edge northwest of LOT. Makes sense since we had a little rain mixed with the wet snow at the beginning.

Note the reflectivity jumps to between 5-7DB along the leading edge.

Archived