• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

The GFS/GEM throw a bone to those of us to the west that are missing the big storm Tuesday/Wednesday. Shows a decent little wave moving across WI/IL late Thursday with some light snow. Better than nothing lol.

I_nw_g1_EST_2011112712_116.png

Nice - I'm right under the axis of heaviest snow! I'll take any snowfall at point!

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cloudy days, and therefore busting high temps have become the rule here. Yesterday they were expecting low 40s, and looks like it won't get out of the mid 30s.:thumbsup: If only that band of precip from the current system could trend a tad NW and brush our area, we might see some flakes.

I know... it's like the storm is so close will be able to smell the snow, but not see it on this side of the lake! Did see some flurries in Kenosha today!

So much for the gloom and doom of a torchy December.. Long range looks solid wrt to cold and a few solid storms likely to come too with the pattern in the upcoming weeks..

The Arctic Express is open and ready for business!thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nice, -14°C type air for my area!

Well, on the bright side, December can't be worse than November, can it?

November was actually pretty active around here. Picked up over 5" of rain for the month. Had our first trace of snow on the 9th. Never seem to get much measurable snow around here in Nov anyway, so I feel pretty good about things overall I guess. Still a long ways to go this winter.

November was actually pretty active around here. Picked up over 5" of rain for the month. Had our first trace of snow on the 9th. Never seem to get much measurable snow around here in Nov anyway, so I feel pretty good about things overall I guess. Still a long ways to go this winter.

It was active- but not a good active. I guess it's some post-storm major disappointment more than anything. Saw about 20 flakes this entire month, but still got the whole winter to go. Pattern just doesn't look all that great for anything right now.

Pattern looks good in the medium range (6+ days) for some activity. SE ridge looks like it's going to try to flex its muscles...which we want, but too much is bad for some obviously. At this point, I'd highlight areas in the western Midwest and the central/northern Plains for the bulk of wintry opportunities. Of course the devil is in the details with every storm, so nothing is a lock.

Pattern looks good in the medium range (6+ days) for some activity. SE ridge looks like it's going to try to flex its muscles...which we want, but too much is bad for some obviously. At this point, I'd highlight areas in the western Midwest and the central/northern Plains for the bulk of wintry opportunities. Of course the devil is in the details with every storm, so nothing is a lock.

Could this be another Minnesota and N/C Wisconsin winter? Maybe Michigan will get in on the act as well when the jet stream sags SE. Right now I feel we are caught in between.

Could this be another Minnesota and N/C Wisconsin winter? Maybe Michigan will get in on the act as well when the jet stream sags SE. Right now I feel we are caught in between.

Well who knows how the winter will play out, but for the first half of December I'd favor those areas. That's not to say that the rest of us will be snowless of course.

Archived