joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to the snow later, could be the first accumulating snow. It's in the low 40s but when precip moves in we should drop to freezing quickly enough.

HRRR moves the precip in within a few hours, and shuts it off by midnight. Radar echoes are starting to organize so things seem on track.

Now the 12z Euro doesn't even show a dusting tonight. In fact, if I take it verbatim, I might not see the first accumulation this period (through Dec. 9). 1999-00 all over again.

you'll see 16-17 flakes tongint, that has always been the reality of the situation.

I had more or less nothing through December last season and finished above normal, it happens.

you'll see 16-17 flakes tongint, that has always been the reality of the situation.

I had more or less nothing through December last season and finished above normal, it happens.

We didn't do very well that December, but I thought most of the Great Lakes did alright. You had a couple clippers, didn't you? If not, the lake was to blame for your lack of snow, like it is here so far.

We didn't do very well that December, but I thought most of the Great Lakes did alright. You had a couple clippers, didn't you? If not, the lake was to blame for your lack of snow, like it is here so far.

The lake is not to blame for the lack of snow this season, nor was it last season...we aren't seeing snow because the overall pattern sucks, it's not like we have just missed on a marginal storm. As for last Dec, the clipper train went south and west of here, i might have had a couple inches all month.

The lake is not to blame for the lack of snow this season, nor was it last season...we aren't seeing snow because the overall pattern sucks, it's not like we have just missed on a marginal storm. As for last Dec, the clipper train went south and west of here, i might have had a couple inches all month.

But in your case I thought it did, b/c I know we had a clipper around Dec. 3rd; we actually had nearly 4 inches with that thing, and I know some areas near Chicago had around an inch or two. It's possible though that it was the WAA snow ahead of the big winter storm.

Just verified, and Chicago O'Hare had 16.2 inches last December.:lol: Either the lake did influence the snow totals in your area, or your perception was off. MKE had 9 inches, a large amount less in comparison.

But in your case I thought it did, b/c I know we had a clipper around Dec. 3rd; we actually had nearly 4 inches with that thing, and I know some areas near Chicago had around an inch or two. It's possible though that it was the WAA snow ahead of the big winter storm.

Dec. 3-4th

Dec. 12-13th

Dec. 20-21st

Dec. 24-25th

Dec. 25-26th

:guitar:

Got La nina ?

as i posted in another thread, dtx winter outlook hints that snowfall may be less frequent but more intense/bigger storms. IF, a big IF, things happen that way...it will be interesting to see the reactions on here. Mainly from myself LOL. Will I be so thrilled to finally get the monster (assuming we get it that is), that I will not mind not seeing the frequent snowfalls Ive been spoiled with in recent years?

as i posted in another thread, dtx winter outlook hints that snowfall may be less frequent but more intense/bigger storms. IF, a big IF, things happen that way...it will be interesting to see the reactions on here. Mainly from myself LOL. Will I be so thrilled to finally get the monster (assuming we get it that is), that I will not mind not seeing the frequent snowfalls Ive been spoiled with in recent years?

Happy aniversary of the 1974 monster. Detroit and points north got nailed. DET 19.2 inches and parts of Oakland county got 20+ inch measurements.

If anyone would no better it would be Deedler. Hint Hint Hint..,. Enlighten us youngsters about the great one. ( or the second greatest)

A great update from LOT regarding current situation.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

656 PM CST THU DEC 1 2011

DISCUSSION

655 PM CST

HAVE MADE SOME SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO THE FORECAST FOR THIS

EVENING IN TERMS OF POPS...WEATHER...AND PRECIP AMOUNTS. RADAR

MOSAIC SHOWS AN INTENSIFYING BAND OF PRECIP ACROSS EASTERN IOWA

AND EXTENDING NORTHEAST WITH THE HEAVIEST PRECIP FROM JUST NORTH

OF CEDAR RAPIDS TO DUBUQUE TO FREEPORT. SHORT TERM GUIDANCE

SUPPORTS WHAT RADAR HAS BEEN SHOWING THE PAST HOUR OR SO WHICH IS

AN INTENSIFICATION OF THE MID LEVEL TEMPERATURE

GRADIENT/FRONTOGENESIS AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING MID/UPPER LEVEL

TROUGH AXIS AND IN RESPONSE TO THE APPROACH OF THE RIGHT ENTRANCE

REGION OF THE UPPER LEVEL JET. GOOD AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE NAM AND

RUC TO BRING INCREASED UPWARD ASCENT WITHIN THE DENDRITIC SNOW

GROWTH ZONE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS WITH THIS DEVELOPING BAND OF

FORCING MOVING EASTWARD INTO THE FORECAST AREA. EXPECT THAT HIGHER

RADAR RETURNS WILL BE SPREADING/EXPANDING EASTWARD TOWARDS LAKE

MICHIGAN WITH PRECIP HAVING A BETTER TIME REACHING THE GROUND

EARLY THIS EVENING. MEANWHILE THE MAIN BAND WILL CONTINUE TO

DEVELOP EASTWARD AND FOCUS ACROSS AREAS FROM THE IL/WI STATE LINE

SOUTHWARD ACROSS ROCKFORD TOWARDS ROCHELLE AND AIM NORTHEASTWARD

TOWARD WAUKEGAN AND SOUTHWARD TOWARDS NORTHERN DUPAGE AND COOK

COUNTIES BY LATE EVENING. BEST FORCING SHOULD BE PRETTY FOCUSED

ACROSS A NARROW CORRIDOR AND IT IS TOUGH TO SAY WHERE EXACTLY THIS

WILL SET UP BUT THE AREA IDENTIFIED ABOVE WILL BE PRONE. THIS

BRINGS CONCERNS REGARDING PRECIP TYPE AND AMOUNTS. FORECAST

SOUNDINGS SHOW THAT PRECIP SHOULD BE MOSTLY SNOW TOWARDS THE

ROCKFORD AND ROCHELLE AREAS AND POINTS NORTHEAST TOWARDS WAUKEGAN

BUT CANNOT COMPLETELY RULE OUT A RAIN SNOW MIX INITIALLY FOR A

SHORT TIME. POINTS SOUTH AND EAST TOWARDS THE CENTRAL AND NORTHERN

CHICAGO METRO WILL BE A BIT MORE TRICKY GIVEN MANY AREAS ARE STILL

IN THE UPPER 30S TO AROUND 40 BUT EXPECT THAT EVAPORATIVE COOLING

WILL ALLOW ANY MIX TO BECOME SNOW...ESPECIALLY IF INCREASED

DYNAMICALLY FORCED COOLING CAN INTENSIFY UNDER THE BETTER FORCING.

SNOW AMOUNT FORECAST WILL REMAIN TRICKY AS WELL GIVEN FAIRLY WARM

GROUND TEMPS...ANTECEDENT RELATIVELY WARM LLVL AIRMASS...SOME

UNCERTAINTY OF PRECIP TYPE AT ONSET AND POTENTIAL FOR A VERY

INTENSE BAND OF SNOW. EXPECT THAT AREAS UNDER THE HEAVIEST BAND

MAY RECEIVE A SLUSHY HALF TO 1 INCH OF ACCUMULATION...OVER A

FAIRLY SHORT TIME BUT THIS MAY BE OVER A VERY NARROW AREA...WITH

SURROUNDING AREAS POTENTIALLY SEEING LITTLE IF ANY ACCUMULATION.

WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE DETAILS. GRIDDED UPDATE ALREADY SENT

WITH UPDATED ZONES/TEXT ON THE WAY SHORTLY.

MDB

A great update from LOT regarding current situation.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

656 PM CST THU DEC 1 2011

-snip~

MDB

Thanks for the update. I'm 3 miles from the border near Waukegan so I should be seeing some of this tonight! Post an update when I see flakes flying!

Update 10:19pm: Light snow coming down since 8:15pm. Sticking on the grass, mulch, dirt, leaves - basically everything but stone/concrete. Temp approaching 32°.

Archived