amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting discussion ongoing in the main forum about the extremely +AO regime we're in and what it could mean in the future. Basically the thought is that it could allow for an extreme buildup of Arctic air up north that could flood southward with an intense/record type cold outbreak at some point especially if the AO flips negative. That may be weeks down the road though.

Tough thing about December is that it's a core winter month and it is integral to the success (or lack thereof) of the winter as a whole. You can salvage a decent winter after a sucky December but aside from a few exceptions like 1993-94 or 1998-99, it's tough to register an "A/B+" type winter if December truly fails.

Tough thing about December is that it's a core winter month and it is integral to the success (or lack thereof) of the winter as a whole. You can salvage a decent winter after a sucky December but aside from a few exceptions like 1993-94 or 1998-99, it's tough to register an "A/B+" type winter if December truly fails.

Norms were meant to be broken ;)

:snowman:

Or on the flip side, you have a 2000-01 type winter. Great December, awful rest of the winter...well at least for a lot of us. Despite the awesome December that season, that winter is only a C+ at best for me.

Or on the flip side, you have a 2000-01 type winter. Great December, awful rest of the winter...well at least for a lot of us. Despite the awesome December that season, that winter is only a C+ at best for me.

True. I guess my point was that a lot of us made it through a snowless November with all our marbles intact because we realized that November is an expendable month as far as snow goes. If we get it fine, but it's a luxury that won't effect the quality of the winter as a whole. With December we don't have that luxury. A December like the one in 2006 completely derailed what would have otherwise been a fairly decent winter. And you can find examples for the other "core" winter months.

I'm just explaining the obvious in a convaluted way. :lol:

1997-98 here was a radical outlier to this rule though. DJF sucked but we still almost managed to pull out an average winter due to Nov and Mar.

True. I guess my point was that a lot of us made it through a snowless November with all our marbles intact because we realized that November is an expendable month as far as snow goes. If we get it fine, but it's a luxury that won't effect the quality of the winter as a whole. With December we don't have that luxury. A December like the one in 2006 completely derailed what would have otherwise been a fairly decent winter. And you can find examples for the other "core" winter months.

I'm just explaining the obvious in a convaluted way. :lol:

1997-98 here was a radical outlier to this rule though. DJF sucked but we still almost managed to pull out an average winter due to Nov and Mar.

I got you, I was just playing devil's advocate I guess. ;)

I can't say that I'm enthused about the prospects for this December for MBY at the moment. Hopefully I'm wrong about that or Jan-Mar gets better.

This thread is depressing to read. My goodness did a few of you guys forget to take your happy pills? As ****ty as the models have been I think its a real safe bet to not look past 72 hrs. December will be fine so will JFM. These La Nina winters seem to be back end loaded anyways. Look at last year as a prime example and as active of a pattern we have had as of late I don't think its just going to shut off. Hoping a few good Clippers will lay a little snow down for Christmas. Who knows in 10+ days we might be tracking a sick storm or Blizzard for the lakes..you just never know.

This thread is depressing to read. My goodness did a few of you guys forget to take your happy pills? As ****ty as the models have been I think its a real safe bet to not look past 72 hrs. December will be fine so will JFM. These La Nina winters seem to be back end loaded anyways. Look at last year as a prime example and as active of a pattern we have had as of late I don't think its just going to shut off. Hoping a few good Clippers will lay a little snow down for Christmas. Who knows in 10+ days we might be tracking a sick storm or Blizzard for the lakes..you just never know.

Totally agree with you.. I've yet to see a dusting to this point and I am still as pumped as I can be for winter and the next few months!! :snowman:

lol, who isn't excited for winter? Regardless, sometimes you have to face reality that the pattern isn't that great for the medium range...which this one doesn't look to be through mid-December. But no one is depressed and no one with a brain is canceling winter. That's dumb IMO.

lol, who isn't excited for winter? Regardless, sometimes you have to face reality that the pattern isn't that great for the medium range...which this one doesn't look to be through mid-December. But no one is depressed and no one with a brain is canceling winter. That's dumb IMO.

Unfortunately it happens allot more than it should. In times of desperation people put the emotions over common sense and reality. Its human nature.

The pattern looks fine IMO..yea it could use some tweaking but given the prospect of a looming arctic intrusion LES just might come alive and give a majority of the region something to talk about. Might even be able to squeak out a clipper or 2. We shall see...Still 4 more months of snow season..maybe 5 for some areas in the northern lakes.

No season can ever just be "canceled"

True. 2000-01 was just as dull after New Years as was 2005-06, the only thing that made 2000-01 much better was that the deep snowcover of December stuck around until nearly mid-Feb. Action wise, it was colder but just as sucky as 2005-06.

Unfortunately it happens allot more than it should. In times of desperation people put the emotions over common sense and reality. Its human nature.

The pattern looks fine IMO..yea it could use some tweaking but given the prospect of a looming arctic intrusion LES just might come alive and give a majority of the region something to talk about. Might even be able to squeak out a clipper or 2. We shall see...Still 4 more months of snow season..maybe 5 for some areas in the northern lakes.

:clap:

Wow...couldnt have said it better myself. We are ALL pining for snow and it SUCKS that its not settled in yet. But its December 4th, it shouldnt be set in yet. No winter, I repeat, NO winter will be good from start to finish. Even our winters that most live on in lore are not active from start to finish, its an unrealistic expectation. Ive had one day of white lawn (still could see the grass pickers) and it sucks to see green grass and bare trees (id actually rather it be brown grass and bare trees lol)...but winter is coming. It may not be as great as last year, it may be delayed til January or it may start later this week (as you said models suck past 72 hrs)...but winter IS coming :)

This is probably one of the worst posts in this thread to date.

The good thing about this time of year is that you can sneak in an event even in a bad pattern overall. Averages are going down, many in this forum don't need much below average temps to be cold enough for snow. But as far as staying power, doesn't look good.

The good thing about this time of year is that you can sneak in an event even in a bad pattern overall. Averages are going down, many in this forum don't need much below average temps to be cold enough for snow. But as far as staying power, doesn't look good.

Reality isn't fun sometimes. Alas, my initial intent was saying that I didn't like the prospects for MBY in the near future...which obviously was overlooked by some. Didn't mean MI. Didn't mean WI. This place is impossible sometimes.

Interesting discussion ongoing in the main forum about the extremely +AO regime we're in and what it could mean in the future. Basically the thought is that it could allow for an extreme buildup of Arctic air up north that could flood southward with an intense/record type cold outbreak at some point especially if the AO flips negative. That may be weeks down the road though.

Interesting thought. Is this what happened in 1984-85? December 1984 was extremely mild and relatively snowless, at least in Chicago (inlcuding temps in the 60s in late December)...but then winter unleashed its fury from Jan 1-Feb 15. This includes the all-time record low of -27 on 1/20/1985. I'll look up the records in more detail...but I believe Chicago had about 30-35" of snow in that 6-week period.

Not sure if the overall pattern was similar in 1984-85 vs. now...but something worth discussing while things are so boring. :)

Interesting thought.  Is this what happened in 1984-85?  December 1984 was extremely mild and relatively snowless, at least in Chicago (inlcuding temps in the 60s in late December)...but then winter unleashed its fury from Jan 1-Feb 15.  This includes the all-time record low of -27 on 1/20/1985.  I'll look up the records in more detail...but I believe Chicago had about 30-35" of snow in that 6-week period.

Not sure if the overall pattern was similar in 1984-85 vs. now...but something worth discussing while things are so boring.   :)

The AO went very positive in December 1984, though not as high as what we have now. Current readings are almost off the charts...in fact, today's number is the second highest on record.

Times of desperation? :lol:

Archived