Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2011 General Discussion/Obs

Chicago Storm

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not entirely true the past few years at least.. 6-12 inches christmas last year.. March 2009 12"++ in SE Wisonsin, and a couple more events I have to dig up.. Definitely not the quality of the other side, but its not nonexistent/rare either. Usually there are AT LEAST a couple of decent events a year on this side of the lake..

March 2009- http://www.crh.noaa....p?MO=03&YR=2009

Christmas last year..

dec25_26_2010%20snow.JPG

Yes, that was a good lake effect snow event. I picked up 13" - most of it was within 8 hours Christmas night. The snow band looked like the ones that Buffalo is famous for!

From the WGN Weather blog that night: http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2010/12/very-heavy-lake-effect-snow-blasting-southeast-wisconsin-headed-for-lake-county-illinois.html

The 13" included lake effect snow from earlier in the day actually. It was separate from that particular band, but it was the same day. I think I was between 10-11" for the main event!

your numbers aren't jiving with the map

also don't jive with this

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/2010/12/waves-of-lake-effect-snow-continue-to-move-into-the-chicago-area.html

ouch

your numbers aren't jiving with the map

also don't jive with this

http://blog.chicagow...icago-area.html

ouch

Yeah they fail to jive, so... looking at my data from that winter: I had 2.0" from lake effect on 12/24. Then 11.6" from 10am the 25th through 9am the 26th. Two different lake effect snow events actually. The snow was easy to measure, no drifting. I'm in Beach Park that shows 9.9", but the town stretches 5 miles from the lake - inland. So I think that 9.9" was measured at the other end of town!

It's not the first time I've seen maps not jiving with individual snow tallies! lol

I finally got my first 0.1" of snow today. It's still snowing very lightly, but at this rate it would take a week to get an inch.

Nice. It snowed very lightly on and off all day. Nothing stuck though. Was surprised at the report of 0.8" near East Moline. I wasn't too far from there all day and nothing came close to accumulating.

Stuck in the upper 20s, the sun is trying to break through but isn't quite making it yet. The lack of sunlight like this for days straight is the worst part of winter imo.

I'm down by Kenosha, WI and I hear ya on the clouds. 20 cloudy days for November here and so far this month 5 days out of the 6 have been almost 100% cloudy! I think the cloud capital of the U.S., Seattle, has had more sun lately then this region!

As others have stated, Chicago is in rare territory as far as measurable snow goes. Through today there have been only 7 other winter/snow seasons that failed to produce a measurable snowfall by now. I put together a quick data table showing each season and how they performed snow and temperature wise through the rest of the season. As you will see, all of the seasons ended up below normal snowfall wise and none of them were Nina's. It looks like we should make it up to at least 5th or 6th on the list, possibly threatening the record if the late week clipper fails to produce.

latestmsnowfall.png

As others have stated, Chicago is in rare territory as far as measurable snow goes. Through today there have been only 7 other winter/snow seasons that failed to produce a measurable snowfall by now. I put together a quick data table showing each season and how they performed snow and temperature wise through the rest of the season. As you will see, all of the seasons ended up below normal snowfall wise and none of them were Nina's. It looks like we should make it up to at least 5th or 6th on the list, possibly threatening the record if the late week clipper fails to produce.

latestmsnowfall.png

Interesting. I guess one thing to note is at least there have been some snow systems nearby, they just happened to miss northern Illinois up to this point. Hopefully we can get the Thursday night system to overachieve a little.

latestmsnowfall.png

Nice job. The only thing that saved '01-'02 and '46-'47 were the respectable March totals. Otherwise, the average seasonal snowfall for those seven seasons is only about 22". The way it is, it's only 24.6".

latestmsnowfall.png

Very interesting that none of the winter's were La Nina's. This season is getting off to a unique start then. I didn't realize that 2003-2004 was so low in snowfall for ORD. I'm only 30 miles north of ORD and I recorded 42.6" that winter! Good job on the table!

Somewhat warm this evening across southwest Wisconsin, 30 °F in spots. We can thank the cloud deck for that. Clouds will clear out much later tonight as southwesterly advection pushes the low stratus away. Someone could get flurries in the area as the stratus passes through.

Then it's gonna get bitter cold, 18 °F by morning :shiver:

very interesting considering we are in a typical Nina right now.

Archived