Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

What areas are you thinking get the powdery snows?Like MRGland

i think a lot of places that are all snow it will be fairly dry actually - assuming the thermal profiles are right. it's not like a big 5000 foot layer of 0C/-1C type of air. it's plenty cold aloft. i think it starts as rain for lots of places then flips and would be wet for a while, but it's plenty cold after it gets going. i mean obviously it's not going to be like 17F and snowing...lol..but i don't see a 33 or 34F pasting either. in the berks, it could easily be in the 20s.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think a lot of places that are all snow it will be fairly dry actually - assuming the thermal profiles are right. it's not like a big 5000 foot layer of 0C/-1C type of air. it's plenty cold aloft. i think it starts as rain for lots of places then flips and would be wet for a while, but it's plenty cold after it gets going. i mean obviously it's not going to be like 17F and snowing...lol..but i don't see a 33 or 34F pasting either. in the berks, it could easily be in the 20s.

Yeah i could def see that. I really want a 31-32 pasting..Haven't had a legit one in yrs of over like 4 or 5 inches..I want 8+ of mashed

All this talk here of impressive cold and historic amounts of wind-whipped powder for SNE. GYX says "meh" for my CWA...

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...

-- Changed Discussion --12Z GFS AND EURO COMING INTO DECENT AGREEMENT ON FAST MOVING 500

MB SHORT WAVE DEEPENING OVER NEW ENGLAND SAT...AND CLOSING OFF TO

THE EAST OF CWA. SFC LOW PROGGED TO TRACK OUTSIDE OF 40/70

BENCHMARK...BUT FURTHER N AND W THAN THIS TIME YESTERDAY. THIS

WILL PROVIDE THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME LIGHT PRECIP ACROSS THE

COASTAL AREAS LATE SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH QPF ON THE

ORDER OF 0.25-0.5". P-TYPE WILL BE AN ISSUE AS IT WEILL BE COLD

ENOUGH ALOFT FOR PRECIP TO FALL THRU MOS OF THE ATMOSPHERE AS SN.

AT ISSUE WILL BE WARM BOUNDARY LAYER....WITH TEMPS RISING WELL

INTO THE 40S DURING THE FIRST PART OF SATURDAY...ANY PRECIP WILL

LKLY START AS RAIN MOST PLACES MID-LATE SAT AFTERNOON. AS DAYTIME

HEATING WANES...PRECIP COULD CHANGE TO SN LATE IN THE DAY

SAT...AND MORE LIKLY SAT EVE....HOWEVER...GIVEN TIME OF YEAR...AND

WARM TEMPS IN ADVANCE OF SYSTEM...ANY SNOW WILL STRUGGLE TO

ACCUMULATE...AT FIRST ON GRASSY SURFACES...AND IF ENOUGH SNOW

FALLS...EVENTUALLY ON ROADS. STILL...ANY ACCUMS LOOK LIGHT

ATTM...AND PRECIP SHOULD END BY DAYBREAK SUNDAY...WITH TEMPS

CLIMBING BACK WELL INTO THE 40S SUNDAY...SO ANY SN THAT DOES

ACCUMULATE....WILL MELT AWAY QUICKLY ON SUNDAY.

Still an improvement from this morning's outlook. Incredible that this is even on the table at this point in the season.

Just north of Jamaica Pond, near Kurkman's.

Loving it so far, but the parking laws are horrendous. Thank goodness I got offstreet with my place.

I probably share pretty much the same snow as both of you. I'm on the other side of Jamaica Pond near Stony Brook. Off street parking in brookline is an absolute must, lived there for 3 yrs.

I actually think we might get some decent snows this weekend and some good wind.

All this talk here of impressive cold and historic amounts of wind-whipped powder for SNE. GYX says "meh" for my CWA...

Still an improvement from this morning's outlook. Incredible that this is even on the table at this point in the season.

A big improvemnet, It was clear skies for sat sun this am, They are not going to go balls in at this point, Thats a good conservative start..

850-500MB RH

Black is height lines.

White is MSLP

grey looking like is 0C isotherm.

Red is 100-850mb critical thickness.

Yellow is 850-700mb critical thickness.

Which one is qpf? :arrowhead:

Seriously though, it will be really intrestig to see how this one plays out. This one could be the Blizz win.

Snow's pretty much stopped for the time being.

33.5/33

My ears perk up when I get a SVT in the cooridnates.

Just a rough guess based on CoastalWX's maps. Good swath of precip, 850 temps of -1 or -2, and with elevation and distance from water colder surface temps. Basically those will be areas that waste the least amount of time not accumulating and will probably have better ratios.

The markets today are feeling like we are....

I'm flummoxed as most are given the improbability of anything more than trifling this early outside of the higher elevations (2k). Amazing if this transpires as progged.

To put this event in historical perspective, I looked up the BOS snow records dating back to 1891 and boston has recorded > Trace only 4 times in October with the highest total of 1.1" in 2005 and the next highest of 0.4" in 1913. Obviously based on this historical record if Boston somehow manages 3-6" or more which seems possible based on modeling, this would probably be in the HECS compared to climo (hope that's not too weenie, but I'm thinking this is a 1 in ever 250-400 year type event).

Source

Archived