• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

Well when you move well inland you gotta realize that probably only about 25% of the storms that nail SNE work out here ..or in northern VT.

It's nice when we can share in it, but "our" storms tend to track from like NYC to Boston...so you gotta wish rain on the poor SNE folks. LOL

I may get something here ...like on Boxing Day when I managed 7 inches and got to share in it a bit.

True statement. Lived in CT all my life and I'm still getting used to N VT haha. All is well though..we'll get ours.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're really getting annoying. We know you're getting blue balled, you've posted about it 8 times.

1) It's October.

2) You're in the NEK of VT. You'll see plenty of snow.

3) Complaining about it isn't really going to make it snow this weekend.

good day

OT has made you bitter just like Pete and Steve, turn that frown upside down and understand a weenies heart is aching

i think it'll be extraordinary tough to overcome 55F sst for a good chunk of the event (first 2/3rds?) but i'd expect at least some frozen precip even out here once the flow backs a bit given just how cold everything/everywhere else is. it's the lowest levels that are mild for this general area...like the bottom 1500 feet of the column or so and that'll be a snow-stopper until that layer can get beaten down some. i suppose if we have really extreme precip rates we could flip or mix earlier if we end up with a layer thats like 2 or 3C and not 5 or 6C. if it were even just a few weeks later in the season - like turkey day - i'd be more optimistic on primarily frozen precip. i think there's a pretty serious wind threat too...probably in the 00z to 08z time frame.

Just noticed your red tag! :thumbsup:

As long as the forecast is back to low 50's by Monday and beyond - I'm not gonna be doing much snow clearing. Just shovel tracks for the car to get out or the end of the driveway etc. It's hardly worth it....

I tuned and started mine on saturday when Scott and Ryan were suggesting that snow was even a remote possibility.

Most throwers the belt should be no more than a half hour job.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're really getting annoying. We know you're getting blue balled, you've posted about it 8 times.

1) It's October.

2) You're in the NEK of VT. You'll see plenty of snow.

3) Complaining about it isn't really going to make it snow this weekend.

good day

OT has made you bitter just like Pete and Steve, turn that frown upside down and understand a weenies heart is aching

Oh come on...I made a joke post two or so days ago about me and Kevin having to jump in the tub together with a toaster cause our area wasn't going to snow tonight and I got blasted for it. That was a joke.

Life's tough...I understand you know his heartache though, being down there on the tropical shoreline and all. It can't be easy I'm sure.

Bitter? I am estactic that your endless summer ends with 8 inches of paste thicker than Mama Leones. I had more fun in oT than here because the constant day to day droning on and on about Temps just got blah. This is a great day to be alive. Greatest Fall Euro run of Jerrys life.

Oh come on...I made a joke post two or so days ago about me and Kevin having to jump in the tub together with a toaster cause our area wasn't going to snow tonight and I got blasted for it. That was a joke.

Life's tough...I understand you know his heartache though, being down there on the tropical shoreline and all. It can't be easy I'm sure.

It's not. It sucks for snow. Getting blue balled really brings back the memories of seeing hartford rip and it all be liquid on the coast...so just cut me some slack, bro.

Thanks and I agree. I do like the accumulation maps the models are spitting out because it mostly shows what you're talking about with the SST's. If it played out as modeled I see a situation where you and I are in the proverbial wet boat while an area just to my west a mile is mainly non-accumulating mush, back by 195/495 they see accumulations just back from the marine air.

Water temps are 55-56 in Boston Harbor and all the way east. Any marine influence off that water is going to roast the BL.

Amazing though, it is so cold aloft on these models it could conceivably be overcome in some incredible precip rates.

that's the one thing that gives me pause is just how cold it is from about 925 mb on up. -4 to -6C at 850 is pretty darn cold for out here - we have plenty of coastals where we sit at like -1 to -2C at 850 for a good while during the event - it's just that the surface is nowhere near as warm...

it's sort of uncharted territory.

I'm trying to figure out why the models aren't driving it way inland.

Looking at the Euro maps they make perfect sense in this situation. It's a classic late November early December snowstorm...but for some reason before Halloween?

Coastal fronts are only driven inland during events where storms come closer. A bombing low would help keep winds more nrly I think. We don't have a true arctic air mass like in the winter to help keep the flow more northerly, but warmer SST's will help enhance the boundary too. Like how a seabreeze develops in the summer.....colder air will always want to vector in towards warmer air.

I'm trying to figure out why the models aren't driving it way inland.

Looking at the Euro maps they make perfect sense in this situation. It's a classic late November early December snowstorm...but for some reason before Halloween?

could be because the low is over the benchmark as opposed to January 12th which tracked over MVY. idk

that's the one thing that gives me pause is just how cold it is from about 925 mb on up. -4 to -6C at 850 is pretty darn cold for out here - we have plenty of coastals where we sit at like -1 to -2C at 850 for a good while during the event - it's just that the surface is nowhere near as warm...

it's sort of uncharted territory.

Very unstable I would think. Could picture a great loud crack of thunder with a rush of downward spiraling wind instantly changing the mix to snow, ala Dec 05 for me.

Archived