northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Second Winter Storm Threat - Oct 29/30

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. I moved into Brookline. Your snow is now my snow.

Welcome! I'm in Fella's neighborhood as well... Brookline GTG sometime this winter?

What an epic year... historic Jan-Feb snow cover, an F3, an earthquake, Irene...

Recalling the debate during Irene in which the fascination with extreme weather was criticized given the damaging impact on people, I think this thread is testimony to our fascination with deviation from the norm rather than injury and damage to property. As Ray put it, just as doctors are fascinated by peculiar disease but obviously don't wish it on patients, we are fascinated by extremes of nature.

And this weekend certainly is gunning for that!

Euro depictions are certainly unchartered territory, and I do wonder how much dynamics will be able to overcome any easterly component within 5 miles of 55F SSTs. But Boston metro will have plenty of CCB cranking once vector is more NNE and sun has set.

Can anyone remind me SSTs during 4/1/97 ?

Welcome! I'm in Fella's neighborhood as well... Brookline GTG sometime this winter?

What an epic year... historic Jan-Feb snow cover, an F3, an earthquake, Irene...

Recalling the debate during Irene in which the fascination with extreme weather was criticized given the damaging impact on people, I think this thread is testimony to our fascination with deviation from the norm rather than injury and damage to property. As Ray put it, just as doctors are fascinated by peculiar disease but obviously don't wish it on patients, we are fascinated by extremes of nature.

And this weekend certainly is gunning for that!

Euro depictions are certainly unchartered territory, and I do wonder how much dynamics will be able to overcome any easterly component within 5 miles of 55F SSTs. But Boston metro will have plenty of CCB cranking once vector is more NNE and sun has set.

Can anyone remind me SSTs during 4/1/97 ?

Chilly. Low 40's ish

Does anyone have data on the last time SNE got a 6"+ snowstorm in October?

Max Snowfall

BOS - 1.1" (2005)

Blue Hill - 6.8" (1979)

CON - 2.1" (1969)

Hartford - 1.7" (1979)

ORH - 7.5" (1979)

PVD - 2.5" (1979)

Source

So last 6"+ was in 1979 and only hit the favored SNE snow spots - Blue Hills and ORH. From what I could tell, there were no other years that had 6"+. Next highest for ORH was 4.7" in 1962

Edit: Obviously this excludes many elevated areas which probably have reported much more snow than the climo stations.

Archived