e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some nice gusts in the past 30 minutes. I had .5" an hour ago but I'm using a coffee can (do I just use a ruler)? If the can was slimmer, the total would be higher so I don't really get it. Dumb question, I know.

Why? It would rain the same amount, regardless of the diameter. As long as it has straight sides and a flat bottom, I'd think you'd get a reasonably close measurement.

THE CENTER OF IRENE HAS BEEN MOVING ACROSS EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA THIS AFTERNOON...AND THE RADAR PRESENTATION OF THE INNER CORE ACTUALLY IMPROVED FOR A FEW HOURS. SINCE THAT TIME...THE RAGGED EYE HAS FILLED IN BUT THE CENTER REMAINS WELL DEFINED ON RADAR...WHICH WARRANTS A RETURN TO TWO-HOURLY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORIES. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT REPORTED PEAK FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 85-90 KT TO THE EAST OF THE CENTER DURING THE PAST FEW HOURS...AND A VERY RECENT CENTER DROP MEASURED A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 950 MB. THERE HAVE NOT BEEN ANY RECENT SFMR DATA...BUT BASED ON THE EARLIER SHARP DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE FLIGHT-LEVEL AND SURFACE WINDS...THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS REDUCED TO 70 KT. A SLOW WEAKENING IS EXPECTED AS IRENE MOVES ALONG THE COAST OF THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES DUE TO LAND INTERACTION...COLDER WATERS...DRY AIR ENTRAINMENT...AND INCREASING SOUTHWESTERLY SHEAR. BECAUSE THE LARGE WIND FIELD WILL TAKE TIME TO SPIN DOWN...HOWEVER...IRENE IS STILL EXPECTED TO REACH THE NEW YORK AREA AT OR NEAR HURRICANE STRENGTH.

about an hour ago I drove from Timonium to Bel Air and the conditions are bad indeed. looking up at the sky gave me an eerie feeling, I definitely got the sense that the storm is massive and deserves respect. Most don't even get that perception , they just think it's another rain event, but there are a few of us still in tune with nature and realize the power of nature. Just Wow.

Archived