• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene Obs/Discussion Thread

WxUSAF

Just had gust to 47 with the arrival of this latest squall. 2.38 so far. Impressive rainfall. Looks like a lot of us will end up with 6-8, 95 corridor and east. West of that, much less. Interested to see if the emergence of the eye over water will generate an increase of the winds at the core, especially since the pressure is still around 950mb. You would think it would, but probably not given the colder water and latitude gain.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had gust to 47 with the arrival of this latest squall. 2.38 so far. Impressive rainfall. Looks like a lot of us will end up with 6-8, 95 corridor and east. West of that, much less. Interested to see if the emergence of the eye over water will generate an increase of the winds at the core, especially since the pressure is still around 950mb. You would think it would, but probably not given the colder water and latitude gain.

if the core regenerates, I would think the winds further out (like our neck of the woods) might subside some due to the bundling of energy, but that's more hope on my part than anything else

I'm not saying its going to. How long did it take them to restore it?

Maybe 50% in the first 48 hours, another 40% in the next week, and the final 10% or so up to 3-4 weeks. Where I lived at the time in Chesterfield was out 5 solid days; where I built my house in Powhatan in 2005 was out over 3 weeks. In many places the infrastructure was so badly damaged it had to be rebuilt from scratch rather than repaired. That takes some time.

why dont the se va guys ever post in these general threads?

OMG a guy from Cape May posted about a legitimate weather threat and you'd thought he was to be lined up and executed the way he was spoken to. Why this forum treats people - outside of the posting clique - like they are all 4th class humans is beyond me. I posted something a year ago (on american but there is no difference) about a winter storm and I was treated as though I had nothing more than a 1st grade education. I have a Ph.D. from Berkeley in Economics (and the person that insulted me is VERY well known here). It's amazing how poorly people are treated here...and it's such a shame because this could become a powerhouse if it were to welcome new people, treat those well and capture the enthusiasm of those new to the meteorological world. No wonder everyone in our country treats each other so poorly...if you can't even treat a newbie on a weather blog with love and respect (people yesterday were talking about CHIK FIL A for Christ sake) than enjoy your party of a few. If you treat people like an inhuman bastard, shame on you. I only lurk because occasionally - occasionally - there is incredibly insightful perspective (usually from Wes) about weather. Delete me if you so choose. I'll be glad to move on.

OMG a guy from Cape May posted about a legitimate weather threat and you'd thought he was to be lined up and executed the way he was spoken to. Why this forum treats people - outside of the posting clique - like they are all 4th class humans is beyond me. I posted something a year ago (on american but there is no difference) about a winter storm and I was treated as though I had nothing more than a 1st grade education. I have a Ph.D. from Berkeley in Economics (and the person that insulted me is VERY well known here). It's amazing how poorly people are treated here...and it's such a shame because this could become a powerhouse if it were to welcome new people, treat those well and capture the enthusiasm of those new to the meteorological world. No wonder everyone in our country treats each other so poorly...if you can't even treat a newbie on a weather blog with love and respect (people yesterday were talking about CHIK FIL A for Christ sake) than enjoy your party of a few. If you treat people like an inhuman bastard, shame on you. I only lurk because occasionally - occasionally - there is incredibly insightful perspective (usually from Wes) about weather. Delete me if you so choose. I'll be glad to move on.

Um...SE VA is part of this forum. Cape May, NJ is not....that guy BLATANTLY refused to move his posts to the place they belonged. Do you now understand the rules?

"love and respect" :arrowhead:

we're rough around the edges.. but it generally works. ive not treated anyone like a inhuman bastard personally i dont think.

As someone who holds a doctoral degree in Regional Weather Forum Statistics and Methodology I feel confident that your post doesn't really make much sense and misses a great deal of context.

As someone who holds a doctoral degree in Regional Weather Forum Statistics and Methodology I feel confident that your post doesn't really make much sense and misses a great deal of context.

The guy needs to realize that if we welcomed everyone and just let everyone ramble on we would be as bad as Accuweather forums.

we're rough around the edges.. but it generally works. ive not treated anyone like a inhuman bastard personally i dont think.

Ian, you respond to everyone and everything. I've read your posts now for 2 years. You obviously have weather knowledge but this whole meteorology as a contact sport needs to stop. 90% of the posts here are garbage...from personal jibes to inconsequential observations about nothing relevant. This poor bastard who is in Cape May - hellllloooooo storm is moving from the east - wrote something I thought of as insightful, if not technically correct, was treated as though he was inhuman. Stop it. This is a weather forum. I cannot believe how poorly those who are not established here are treated. It's not rough around the edges. It's just cruel.

What are you talking about?

Most new people here get along just fine. The poster in question was CLEARLY in the wrong subforum. You are not. So not sure why you are even bringing him into the argument. You are more than welcome to post here, especially since its the correct forum.

...TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT...

...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THIS IS A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND RAPIDLY DEVELOPING SITUATION.

THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY RAIN AND STRONG WINDS WILL BRING DOWN

TREES AND POWER LINES. BE PREPARED FOR POWER OUTAGES.

&&

...PROBABILITY OF TROPICAL STORM/HURRICANE CONDITIONS...

TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT.

...WINDS... THE LATEST AREA FORECAST IS FOR MAXIMUM WINDS OF 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 65 MPH. SINCE THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY...CLOSELY MONITOR THE FORECAST FOR ANY SIGNIFICANT CHANGES.

Ian, you respond to everyone and everything. I've read your posts now for 2 years. You obviously have weather knowledge but this whole meteorology as a contact sport needs to stop. 90% of the posts here are garbage...from personal jibes to inconsequential observations about nothing relevant. This poor bastard who is in Cape May - hellllloooooo storm is moving from the east - wrote something I thought of as insightful, if not technically correct, was treated as though he was inhuman. Stop it. This is a weather forum. I cannot believe how poorly those who are not established here are treated. It's not rough around the edges. It's just cruel.

Uhmm, I treated him well. Read my reply.

Telling someone to post in the correct subforum is inhuman? :yikes:

So you thought "tornadoes are going to get mixed down" was insightful. :axe:

There's no cruel behavior going on. The admins are doing their jobs to keep the various posters coherent and in their regional threads. Do you not realize that his location IS NOT A PART of this subforum? I don't see what is so hard for you to understand. It is like you want completely incorrect weather information to be allowed to be posted - and on top of that in the wrong forum. But true...I guess those posts should be allowed to stay and we should treat them with "love" :unsure:

This place is a hard-nosed meteorological forum rather than a wx chatter board in most circumstances.

Archived