e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is something we're going to need to keep and eye on, and I am aware that others have mentioned .. There are numerous tornado warnings flying in these outer band that are quite a ways from out from the center.

Yes, That could become a much larger player once it gets up this way.

This is something we're going to need to keep and eye on, and I am aware that others have mentioned .. There are numerous tornado warnings flying in these outer band that are quite a ways from out from the center.

After personally witnessing the non rain wrapped tor in Springfield thisvyear the last thing I want to see are rain wrapped ef1 and 2s ripping up sne

After personally witnessing the non rain wrapped tor in Springfield thisvyear the last thing I want to see are rain wrapped ef1 and 2s ripping up sne

Yeah, as much as I want to see the big sustained wind and gusts, I can do without the tors.

Check this ...but I believe we give them the initialization data for the contiguous domain. If that is true it stands to reason.

Either way, the question is an interesting one: why is that happening?

FWIW, not trying to cause trouble in this thread. I want to make that point clear. I saw CT Rain and others claiming that the NAM intialized to far W, so I was intrigued. At 24 hrs, 00z RGEM looks to be just N/NE of Norfolk... so thats another model which went west with the NAM. True, those two might be outliers when the GFS comes out in 10 mins... but what if the GFS agrees? Can all 3 then be tossed for intialization errors?

Man that looks like an HSE track on radar, but we'll see if it wobbles back left a little

I posted this earlier - studied the radar and satellite pretty hard this evening and really kept concluding that this would not make any direct land on NC - was extrapolating a path over Hatteras, but wow - given this and factoring that into the analysis I have would almost hair this east of even Hat. Interesting.

Yeah that doesn't look too bad.

that's only about 3 hours. If you look at the long distance Wilmington Radar you can see improvement in the southern portion of the "eyewall." I'm actually more hopeful for overall improvement in structure on the southern half of the storm. This would cause southerly shear to have a more difficult time in penetrating the core as it moves north of NC into NY and SNE....regardless of actual intensification.

Just a question for you guys. Why do the strong winds stop at the coast. Like the south Coast and the Cape could see hurricane force winds by why not a place just inland like say Brockton? Why do the winds end at the coast? Have a few guesses but not sure.

Land friction. Over the water there is much less friction so the winds are stronger. Sometimes the models over do the land friction and you end up with highers gusts than you'd think looking at the sustained winds. But the land makes the wind more inconsistent. You'll see it pulse more in gusts....you could be going at 35-40 sustained and then rip a few gusts over 70.

Archived