e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This board reached an all time low today with absurd and ridiculous posts. You know it's bad when Kevin's posts have been more reasonable than most.

Totally agree that this is the real deal. I'm expecting the possibility of highest impact storm in SNE (over the entire region) in 2 decades.

So the impact will be less than Gloria.

This board reached an all time low today with absurd and ridiculous posts. You know it's bad when Kevin's posts have been more reasonable than most.

Totally agree that this is the real deal. I'm expecting the possibility of highest impact storm in SNE (over the entire region) in 2 decades.

Even I got pissed, and I never, ever call people out. But it's all good now...I can sense the excitement level going back up. We're going to be hit with a hurricane in 36 hours or less. Just think about that.

Incredible and it will only expand.

I'm getting concerned about RFQ spin-ups of EF0's land interaction at our Lat.

BIG, big incoming!

Folks viewed this thing as "wasting time and warm water, too".....I don't think it did....it just didn't expend the energy in the manner that some wanted it to. It didn't focus all of the energy in the tight eye wall, but rather stuck the entirety of it's wind envelope with some of Colon's Dominican rocket fuel derived stem cells....it grew.

It would be fascinating to discover why some systems distribute their energy differently...but my postualtion is that it is all dictated by inner core structure nuances, which are party modulated by the ambient environs.

agree. on both points. LOL.

I contributed to some of that; I apologize. A lot of it was sardonic, but it's stupid to do that because just about anything one types on here whether in jest or ...perhaps just frustration run foul has an element taken to heart.

I was disappointed for being sucked into what appeared to be a few hours of very good intensification rates. I retired for the evening and found a weaker system if anything by dawn.

Right now I am much more capable of being objective about this situation and agree with CT' that this shouldn't be taken lightly, regardless of intensities under performing.   A large system such as this isn't going to spin down very fast for a multitude of meteorological reasons.

Anyone who hasn't been thinking that since yesterday is ignorant. I will add that I think most of the regional mets I've heard have been very rationale in their analysis and warnings.

I missed all the bs on the board this afternoon b/c i was getting my shiz in order to keep my family safe.

I contributed to some of that; I apologize. A lot of it was sardonic, but it's stupid to do that because just about anything one types on here whether in jest or ...perhaps just frustration run foul has an element taken to heart.

I was disappointed for being sucked into what appeared to be a few hours of very good intensification rates. I retired for the evening and found a weaker system if anything by dawn.

Right now I am much more capable of being objective about this situation and agree with CT' that this shouldn't be taken lightly, regardless of intensities under performing. A large system such as this isn't going to spin down very fast for a multitude of meteorological reasons.

I often fall into the same rut that you did, but I managed to avoid it this time. I think not being in front of the comp all day helped.

Right now I am much more capable of being objective about this situation and agree with CT' that this shouldn't be taken lightly, regardless of intensities under performing. A large system such as this isn't going to spin down very fast for a multitude of meteorological reasons.

Easily could have written another two paragraphs here...so did you want us to try to guess?

laugh.gif

LOL - sorry man.

i've been peppered with questions/emails just like that yesterday and today. "i'm flying into logan on monday afternoon, should i cancel my flight?" and i just feel like...hmmm..."well let me check with my air traffic controller over here and see what he says...oh wait...nope...i don't work at the airport."

your guess would be as good as mine concerning flight delays. :lol:

LOL. I've been out all day until now.

I will have to go back and see what this was all about. I can only assume that because we're not going to see a cat 2 or higher all the way into Bangor that people are bitching and moaning about it.

This isn't like a joke, right? You do understand how radar works and how birds fly very high up? Go listen, you may hear a flight call.

Here I thought a weather expert could understand basic radar things...what is all that stuff then? Rain? Maybe snow! You know the only rain the radar picks up is the stuff hitting you in the face, OH YES, that's right.

http://www.woodcreeper.com/

http://virtual.clems...groups/birdrad/

http://www.bbbo.org/...arch/radar.html

http://www.wsobirds.org/nexrad2.html

Etc., etc. This is such basic knowledge, really sir? Wow. This is sad.

Nice post. Read something about this a few years back. I was watching hawks riding the thermals today at lunch. They seemed to be having a great time. Wanted to grab the paraglider.

I think some had visions of a cat 3 slamming us or something, lol. This will be a pretty big deal in a lot of spots. The only fly in the ointment is if we get a Euro track which keeps it over land nearly the whole time.

It is....folks who are obssesing on the max sustained winds are doing the inner weenie within them a great injustice....just cherish this 500 mile wide pants tent and enjoy a protracted period of cool weather. I mean, this would be lame if were not going to pass over us, sure...but it is.

When is the last time any of us have gotten to watch 50 mph winds for an entire day...hell, I've seen that like 5 times in my life lol

Tkae nothing for granted and enjoy this, as much as it will pain you sick SOBs to still have a roof...make the best of it.

This is an excellent point.

We are used to measuring hurricanes on Category and max sustained winds... I get the sense this is a somewhat different beast.

Since Thursday night, we've had a fluctuating, massive, disorganized but steady-state mass of circulating convection. The IR supports this too... it actually looks better than noon-time and pressures are holding, despite the lack of a clear eye.

And while I correctly predicted the Cat 1 prior to NC landfall, I never downplayed the impact... this is going to be enormous for the northeast. Flooding, massive power outages, storm surge, all to nation's largest metro region.

951 mb at 11pm

It will be interesting how many people will be able to post through the storm, and how many of us still have power on Sunday evening.

I'm going to charge my iPhone before Sunday morning. Should be enough to get by for a day or two without power if it happens. Always have the car charger, too.

Archived