• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

Well this type of pattern is different than what we've been accustomed to. Usually you want a deep ULL to our west, but this time the ridge to our east is acting like a wall and not allowing it to be a fish storm. Pretty cool sh*t right there.

Wind threat looks pretty high for SNE if the euro verified...well for a Cat 1 type deal anyways.

I don't think I can stay up any longer for the wundermaps.

What would you say for winds for CT?

60-80 with gusts to 85-95?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this type of pattern is different than what we've been accustomed to. Usually you want a deep ULL to our west, but this time the ridge to our east is acting like a wall and not allowing it to be a fish storm. Pretty cool sh*t right there.

Wind threat looks pretty high for SNE if the euro verified...well for a Cat 1 type deal anyways.

I should add it could still move a hair east at the last second as it moves past HSE, but it seems like it may not hook east until it gets more into NNE. HWRF seems to like central LI and GFDL loves Trenton. It will be interesting to follow tomorrow and see what the trends are.

Well, not sure why anybody wants this. If this forecast verifies there's going to be some serious damage here in the high terrain as per BOX's latest call.

Saturday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog between 11pm and midnight, then Patchy fog after 3am. Low around 63. East wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to between 26 and 31 mph. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog before 9am. High near 68. East wind 45 to 55 mph becoming north between 45 and 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain likely, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog between midnight and 3am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Wow, it seems that Irene's internal structure has consistently thwarted predictions of strengthening ever since it passed by Hispanola. It was universally forecasted to be anywhere from a strong Cat. 2 to Cat. 4 at this stage of the game. Instead, it has been pretty consistently weakening and may be barely a hurricane at first landfall. It seems like the biggest threat north of NC and away from the coast now seems to be flooding rains.

Disappointing for us weenies but it is probably saving billions of dollars worth of property damage by bucking the forecasted strengthening trends.

Well, not sure why anybody wants this. If this forecast verifies there's going to be some serious damage here in the high terrain as per BOX's latest call.

Saturday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog between 11pm and midnight, then Patchy fog after 3am. Low around 63. East wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to between 26 and 31 mph. Winds could gust as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog before 9am. High near 68. East wind 45 to 55 mph becoming north between 45 and 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain likely, mainly before midnight. Patchy fog between midnight and 3am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Sounds cool and wet. At least you want that.

Wow, it seems that Irene's internal structure has consistently thwarted predictions of strengthening ever since it passed by Hispanola. It was universally forecasted to be anywhere from a strong Cat. 2 to Cat. 4 at this stage of the game. Instead, it has been pretty consistently weakening and may be barely a hurricane at first landfall. It seems like the biggest threat north of NC and away from the coast now seems to be flooding rains.

Disappointing for us weenies but it is probably saving billions of dollars worth of property damage by bucking the forecasted strengthening trends.

Good.

The ground truth is that it probably hasn't had 100 mph sustained for awhile. It has markedly improved in appearance over the last several hours and pressure is steady at 952.

Irene down to a cat one with 90 MPH winds....I don't know now if it can even make it up to Jersey as a Hurricane...maybe be looking at no more than a moderate TS by the time it gets to NYC.

Well D day is here. The direct landfalling hurricane in SNE is going to happen. Ridging looks like it is going to push her right into CT as a cat 1.

It is like Christmas Eve today..witrh Christmas Day tomorrow and winds gusting to 80-85 mph as our present.. This is just awesome.

She looks very good on radar..

I 'm off to run 16 sweaty miles in the dark turning into daylight.

Hope everyone slept well..tonight is gonna be fun :scooter:

At this rate, those TD calls from yesterday were a little bullish.

hope this isn't old...should be the 5 am update

SOME WEAKENING IS EXPECTED AFTER IRENE REACHES THE COASTOF NORTH CAROLINA...BUT IRENE IS FORECAST TO REMAIN A HURRICANE ASIT MOVES NEAR OR OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES AND NEW ENGLAND.

TROPICAL-STORM-FORCEWINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST LATER THISMORNING WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED BY THIS AFTERNOON.TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO REACH SOUTHERN NEWENGLAND TONIGHT WITH HURRICANE CONDITIONS EXPECTED ON SUNDAY.

I think the hurricane warnings are there as a technicality. There were warnings up for Earl too, correct? lol If we recieve light TS conditions I'll be happy.

I'm finishing packing up and heading out. At least there will be cold beers available because electricity remains on. :thumbsup:

I think the hurricane warnings are there as a technicality. There were warnings up for Earl too, correct? lol If we recieve light TS conditions I'll be happy.

I'm finishing packing up and heading out. At least there will be cold beers available because electricity remains on. :thumbsup:

Over 3" and 50 MPH and ill be happy

This ones gonna blow

Archived