EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys can take this crap to the b**ch thread. I'll be happy with what we get.

you are right, we know a storm is coming and that's the good news. I agree, it is more interesting than arguing over low temps or the usual boredom. However, it's also clear the more west track is going to steal some thunder that we wish we had seen.

Have fun. :)

I've been so unable to follow this storm the last few days.

But, Pete, Chris and I all have the identical forecasts with the "excess of 4" rains wording and the gusts of up to 85mph. I have to think that those winds will be too high for us on the western side? What do I know.

You folks out east can enjoy the winds without the deluges. Not a bad deal in my mind. QPF fetish be damned!

Even with the weakening, there is a large wind field to the east of the center. This is a large circulation with Irene.

There is good divergence and upper air evacuation to the N of the cyclone when the system approaches western LI. This helps offset weaking a little anyway.. or maybe I'm reaching.

Decent inland wind gusts in SNE seem reasonable. A nice storm. We don't want catastrophy anyway with this.

Just stop the BS, this is going to be good.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 3pm, then rain likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog. High near 75. East wind 50 to 60 mph becoming south between 45 and 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Thats right, I agree with big boy Ginx.. this will be decent. Stop whining in this thread.

.SUNDAY...RAIN. PATCHY FOG. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES. STRONG

WINDS AND HUMID. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 60S. EAST

WINDS 45 TO 55 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 75 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHEAST

AND...INCREASING TO 55 TO 65 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 85 MPH IN THE

AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF RAIN NEAR 100 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY. PATCHY FOG. RAIN MAY BE HEAVY AT

TIMES. STRONG WINDS AND LESS HUMID WITH LOWS IN THE MID 50S. WEST

WINDS 50 TO 60 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 75 MPH...DIMINISHING TO

AROUND 15 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

Just stop the BS, this is going to be good.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Rain and possibly a thunderstorm before 3pm, then rain likely. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Patchy fog. High near 75. East wind 50 to 60 mph becoming south between 45 and 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 2 and 3 inches possible.

Well said, Steve.

Rainshield is on my doorstep over on the eastern shore. I'll be meeting my daughters for breakfast; should be on the road by 9:30a.m. Hopefully I won't encounter too much traffic as the storm nips at my heels up the coast.. I have to remember to buy coffee on the way home. What a sucky storm it would be without a couple pots of joe.

76/64 here at BWI

60.8/59 at the Pit

Buoy near Moorehead failed to reach hurricane criteria. So far has any ocean or land location other than the drop from the NHC maintained that this is even a hurricane?

Dry air really just wiped this thing out yesterday, interesting case study. I really don't ever recall seeing a hurricane bumped so tight up against that much dry air aloft..and thanks to the drought at the surface. One of the mets made a point about it ingesting dry air yesterday off the drought ridden land. There were reasons why that was't exactly the case (they were right inflow was mainly from east of Florida), but it had to have some effect when all else was pretty good including marginal/weak shear. NHC was right the system lost it's core. Their track has been very good all things considered.

About 150 miles east of landfall winds are not yet at TS storm force. Best chance comes in a bit out there http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=41001

Cape Lookout peaked at just under 60 knots pre "landfall" in sustained winds.

Going to be a messy day Sunday, flooding problems. With the storm west I'm probably thinking about 58-60 wind max gust at Falmouth Otis, PYM airport maybe 57. PVD 65.

Buoy near Moorehead failed to reach hurricane criteria. So far has any ocean or land location other than the drop from the NHC maintained that this is even a hurricane?

Dry air really just wiped this thing out yesterday, interesting case study. I really don't ever recall seeing a hurricane bumped so tight up against that much dry air aloft..and thanks to the drought at the surface. One of the mets made a point about it ingesting dry air yesterday off the drought ridden land. There were reasons why that was't exactly the case (they were right inflow was mainly from east of Florida), but it had to have some effect when all else was pretty good including marginal/weak shear. NHC was right the system lost it's core. Their track has been very good all things considered.

About 150 miles east of landfall winds are not yet at TS storm force. Best chance comes in a bit out there http://www.ndbc.noaa...p?station=41001

Cape Lookout peaked at just under 60 knots pre "landfall" in sustained winds.

Going to be a messy day Sunday, flooding problems. With the storm west I'm probably thinking about 58-60 wind max gust at Falmouth Otis, PYM airport maybe 57. PVD 65.

There have been gusts on the OBX to 110 mph sustianed at 90

Archived