• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Post 4th of July thoughts

Typhoon Tip

During a couple of the extreme heatwaves, last spring especially dew points were desert like, A-L-E-X would know exactly when this occured but there were many days with temps higher than the HI due to such low dp's down this way.

Well that is often typical of spring heat. I thought you were talking about summer. BDR lived in the 70+ dews last July.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I'm confused here.

I thought last summer we had dews, especially in the evenings and early mornings into the 60's to near 70F at times but they would mix down big time during the day b/c we were under a constant west/northwest flow aloft in the mid and lower levels at times. So by the afternoon hours the dews would mix out to the lower 60's...even upper 50's at times.

For as hot as last summer was we saw some pretty high mixing levels which helped to allow for the dry air to mix down.

Yes, that was it Paul-- it was rather like 1966, because of the westerly to northwesterly flow, which usually comes from a Bermuda High that retrogrades far enough west (into the Carolinas typically) so the clockwise circulation downslopes off the Apps and raises our temps while lowering our humidity. The best of all possible summer weather :)

The dp did rise later on in the evenings, but we're mostly talking about during the hours of peak heating.

Well that is often typical of spring heat. I thought you were talking about summer. BDR lived in the 70+ dews last July.

Sorry about that, last spring was so hot, especially just to my southwest and inland, but I believe some of the highest temps all summer were obtained in the spring, perhaps in fact early spring with very very low dew points.

I just remember last year as hot, and it was awesome.

In fact I think we had gone 11 or 12 months above normal in a row before last December finally came in Colder than average for the month.

Already +1.1 or the month, we had 0.01 measurable on Sunday, so we have not had any rain to speak of since the thunderstorms last Tuesday night, top 3 or 4 inches of soil is dry, however lawns that are cut and watered properly look fine, might be another story by Friday though.

BDL didn't make it. Climo site highs...

BOS 88F (heat wave fail)

BDL 89F (still no 90F from this warmup)

PVD 89F

ORH 84F

CON 90F (heat wave potential intact)

PWM 87F

BDR 85F

BTV 87F

Not very impressive.

I haven't hit 90 yet this year...but not sure if that's really an anomalous thing or not.

Sorry about that, last spring was so hot, especially just to my southwest and inland, but I believe some of the highest temps all summer were obtained in the spring, perhaps in fact early spring with very very low dew points.

I just remember last year as hot, and it was awesome.

5/26 was hot, but afternoon dews were still in the 60s which I believe is above normal for that time of the year. 4/7 fit the bill with low 90s and dews in the 30s, but to get 90s in early April it is typically accompanied by very dry air since there is no foliage yet. The warmest temps for most locations were still in July though...and those heat waves were frequently accompanied by avg dews around 70F. I had many lows in the U60s to 70F which is rare for here. It was definitely a great stretch for heat though.

Not very impressive.

I haven't hit 90 yet this year...but not sure if that's really an anomalous thing or not.

My warmest so far was 88.8F on 6/8. My only 90F (89.8F) in 2009 was at the end of April. I find I tend to run a good 5F cooler than MHT/ASH on really hot days so if they're not flirting with 95F, I'm not hitting 90F.

My warmest so far was 88.8F on 6/8. My only 90F (89.8F) in 2009 was at the end of April. I find I tend to run a good 5F cooler than MHT/ASH on really hot days so if they're not flirting with 95F, I'm not hitting 90F.

yeah I had 89 as well.

I hit 90F once here a few weeks ago... that was during the stretch when all the MOS guidance was showing several SNE climo sites hitting 100F+ and then for some reason that "heat wave" underwhelmed. However, we did have one day up here where it was like 10F hotter than the other few days and we might have been getting some compressional heating off the mountains because it was quite a dry 90F if I remember correctly for here. We were sitting in the lower to mid 80s most of the afternoon and then out of nowhere the dew point plummeted and we jumped like 5-7F over the course of an hour or so.

Soil is not even close to dry here. Sank up to the axles on the Lull today, 4wd Hercules switch FTW. Stark contrast to last summer when the fairways around here burned to a crisp.

Well your area and parts of ne mass have had some rains, but soils are getting a little dry here. Certainly no drought by any means, but top soil dries out quick in early July sun and near 90F temps.

Already +1.1 or the month, we had 0.01 measurable on Sunday, so we have not had any rain to speak of since the thunderstorms last Tuesday night, top 3 or 4 inches of soil is dry, however lawns that are cut and watered properly look fine, might be another story by Friday though.

There's quite a big gradient in temperatures early on, so far running the opposite of last month. BOS is +2.1F, but NYC is -0.1F. I don't see many below normal days coming, though....we're probably all between 1-2F above after this week.

Soil is not even close to dry here. Sank up to the axles on the Lull today, 4wd Hercules switch FTW. Stark contrast to last summer when the fairways around here burned to a crisp.

I think most of the precipitation Saturday night/Sunday was running on a NW-SE axis, so some of it has missed Boston metro as it's moved through Upstate NY, into the Berkshires, and through NYC. We must have had close to 2" of rain in the northern Poconos this past weekend, although the station here picked up only .28" just outside of NYC. I have a feeling some of it is terrain-enhanced thunderstorms, as the area of NE PA where my parents have the lake house always seems to see a lot more frequent afternoon thunderstorms...we had several rounds starting early Sunday morning and lasting much of the day. Soils are wet in the Poconos, and I'd say about average here in NYC metro where I have the vegetable garden. I'm certainly not worried about the corn or eggplants getting dry.

Archived